New WESTONE W-SERIES
Jan 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #692 of 1,383

Huge improvement?  They made a bassier SE535 and still have the same treble roll off issues they have had since SE530.

What? The Shure SE846 isn't a bassier Shure SE535. They sound nothing alike even if you ignore the bass.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #695 of 1,383
So here's an odd one for you guys.  I went to a show the other night with my W30's.  Put back a few and generally was having a good time so not paying as good attention to my earphones as I should have.  When I got home, I found that one of the earphones had fallen out and I could not find it.  Is there any way to just buy a single earphone and nothing else?  Bummed.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #696 of 1,383
  So here's an odd one for you guys.  I went to a show the other night with my W30's.  Put back a few and generally was having a good time so not paying as good attention to my earphones as I should have.  When I got home, I found that one of the earphones had fallen out and I could not find it.  Is there any way to just buy a single earphone and nothing else?  Bummed.

Probably not. Your best bet would be to find someone who has a broken pair with no warranty cover.
This is the reason why Westone should stick with the old two pin rather than the mmcx connectors.     

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #697 of 1,383
  Probably not. Your best bet would be to find someone who has a broken pair with no warranty cover.
This is the reason why Westone should stick with the old two pin rather than the mmcx connectors.     

Do you have their IEMs with mmcx connector?  You need jaws of life to take them apart lol!!!  If anything, I would think 2-pin connector would be easier to take apart :wink:

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #698 of 1,383

Do you have their IEMs with mmcx connector?  You need jaws of life to take them apart lol!!!  If anything, I would think 2-pin connector would be easier to take apart :wink:

They were the mmcx connector.  I wouldn't necessarily blame the connector but I did have one other incident where the connector let out unexpectedly.  

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #700 of 1,383

The mmcx connectors on both my of 535 and 425 could easily be pulling out with little force. 
With 2-pin connectors, if one were to use brute force, the housing would break apart before the pins give way especially if the connectors are recessed within the housing. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #701 of 1,383
  The mmcx connectors on both my of 535 and 425 could easily be pulling out with little force. 
With 2-pin connectors, if one were to use brute force, the housing would break apart before the pins give way especially if the connectors are recessed within the housing. 

True, Shure, UE, and other shell designs are slightly different where you can use any replacement cable with mmcx connector.  For Westone, the way how it connects - you can only use a slim mmcx connector housing to fit in (W- and UM Pro are similar):

As a matter of fact, FiiO had to redesign their silver-plated replacement cables with a special Westone version just for this purpose.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #702 of 1,383

Had exactly the same thing happen with my W60 (major bummer - just had them for a month. The left earpiece popped off somewhere. I contacted Westone support asking if I could buy a single earpiece. Answer was no. The best they could do was sell me a new set at 50% off. However, I would have had to return the original to avail of this offer. I didn't feel this was a great deal (for someone who has bought pretty much their whole range. If I had been able to keep the old set as spares it would have been fine. Anyway, that's their offer and customer support has a script to follow so no chance of a sensible negotiation.

I ended up buying a second hand set for about 70% but keeping cables and that previous spare right earpiece made it worthwhile to me.

I'm slightly dubious about the new connectors and Westone support has never impressed me. But I still buy their stuff.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #703 of 1,383
Had exactly the same thing happen with my W60 (major bummer - just had them for a month. The left earpiece popped off somewhere. I contacted Westone support asking if I could buy a single earpiece. Answer was no. The best they could do was sell me a new set at 50% off. However, I would have had to return the original to avail of this offer. I didn't feel this was a great deal (for someone who has bought pretty much their whole range. If I had been able to keep the old set as spares it would have been fine. Anyway, that's their offer and customer support has a script to follow so no chance of a sensible negotiation.

I ended up buying a second hand set for about 70% but keeping cables and that previous spare right earpiece made it worthwhile to me.

I'm slightly dubious about the new connectors and Westone support has never impressed me. But I still buy their stuff.

I ended up buying a used pair of W4s which were like new for less than I paid for the W30's. With the W4's I don't have to worry about the earphones popping off unexpectedly and I stepped up in sound quality.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #704 of 1,383

The same thing happened to my Shure 535Ltd too. Pretty sure it's due to the mmcx connectors. After some time, probably 1 year+ the connectors start to become loose. Even with slight nudging the IEM will pop out from its cable.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #705 of 1,383
And to think mmcx connectors will be the new standard for all current and future iem/ciems 
etysmile.gif
  Time to rethink. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back