new westone customs?
Jan 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 28
Crud. I have very sensitive ears, and my current westone based er4-p molds are your standar vinyl. Not that they are not comfortable, but they dont fit as well as they should since they have to err on the side of less pressure. Was hoping for a super soft type material without a sound quality loss.

I was hoping these could be my next step. Just so everyone else knows, this is a very user dependant issue! Dont base any decisions on my statement unless you know for a fact your ears are super sensitive.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 28
It's reflective of the cost of running a successful business that can support them. There's a reason the super cheap custom makers are struggling.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's reflective of the cost of running a successful business that can support them. There's a reason the super cheap custom makers are struggling.

Yeah, in the broader context of a business and running it, as you say, it might have some justification (although I accept businesses are ultimately in it to make a profit, but with the prices Westone, and, in particular, Ultimate Ears, charge for IEM's on their Custom lines, I just have to wonder what the profit margin is
wink.gif
) Then again, as alluded to in prior post, I do not know all the factors and ins and outs and so can't really form a solid judgement or opinion on this matter. However, if the top-end universal IEM's are going for around the $250-400 (and it's been speculated that even they are a lot cheaper to produce then the msp reflects; though, again, I cannot cooberate that), then a custom model, with near enough the same innards and technology, at $850->1000, one would have to imagine they reaping a bundle of profit from such offerings!

EDIT: I want to point out, that if such practice is at play, and companies can get away with it, then fair enough to them (accept when I'm buying!
wink.gif
). They have sussed out and are capitalising on something lucrative. Objectively, being just a very curious and knowledge and understanding and awareness seeking person, I'd just be curious, in business minded like sense, to know what's goin on here!

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 28
Ask anyone with customs how many times they had to send them back. It's a really tweaky process, and skilled labor is expensive.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Ask anyone with customs how many times they had to send them back. It's a really tweaky process, and skilled labor is expensive.

I am aware of this; on these forums it's quite common knowledge! However, such back and forth adjusting and configuring also bears excess expense to the customer, usuall, with shipping charges and/or audiologist fees.

My rudimentary stance on (expensive) customs atm, is that they are not worth the price. I think that the possible and lengthy difficulty in obtaining a 'perfect' fit, the fact our ears continue to grow throughout our lifetime, -thus, meaning a set of customs will, after a relatively short length of time cease to propely fit you- and the lack of resaleability, not to mention, you can't often try before you buy, mean theeir price value is too high to justify a purchase, really. Though, that is all in perspective to how wealthy I am atm; if you have the money to splash at will, why not?!

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 28
There is always the "value" component. I'm of the opinion you should never spend more money than you can stand to lose on any of this stuff. It's not a necessity, it's a luxury. That said, some of these custom IEMs are apparently quite good. I'm definitely budgetting for something or other eventually.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

There is always the "value" component. I'm of the opinion you should never spend more money than you can stand to lose on any of this stuff. It's not a necessity, it's a luxury. That said, some of these custom IEMs are apparently quite good. I'm definitely budgetting for something or other eventually.

Agreed. Very good point, actually! Also, customs do tickle my fancy and I am likely to take the plunge on one at some point.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to know how it stacks up against the other custom heavy hitters out there (Ue10pro, UE5c, Sensaphonics 2XS, even the ES2, and of course the might UE11). The problem of course is that it would take somebody owning all those...who would be crazy enough to own all of those...oh yeah...me.

Oh man... I was hoping you'd say this. No excess flattery intended but so far your word on IEMs has been golden. I'm deciding between the UE11 and this for my next full custom, since the ES2 is old and the seal is getting weaker over time. So, I can't wait for your report, when and if you should choose to get these. Sonically I'm looking for an updated ES2 sound - same sense of fluidity and midrange presentation, but more clarity, separation, and performance at the frequency extremes.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

I sent my ES2's back zero times. Westone got it right the first time. Same goes for the UM56 tips I bought before them.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent my ES2's back zero times. Westone got it right the first time. Same goes for the UM56 tips I bought before them.

I sent my ES2's in once. Pretty incredible considering I had to go to UE to have them make my molds since I went thru an insane number of refits.

Westone does a first rate job at fitting.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 28
I am considering purchasing a set, but still want to try the hy c3. If I could get the z5 with the ue or westone connection that is what I would purchase next.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man... I was hoping you'd say this. No excess flattery intended but so far your word on IEMs has been golden. I'm deciding between the UE11 and this for my next full custom, since the ES2 is old and the seal is getting weaker over time. So, I can't wait for your report, when and if you should choose to get these. Sonically I'm looking for an updated ES2 sound - same sense of fluidity and midrange presentation, but more clarity, separation, and performance at the frequency extremes.

Thanks for the kind words. Westone no doubt will have a challenge in beating the might UE11. I am amazed every day how an IEM can sound like that.

My hopes for the ES3x mirror yours. Keep the midrange and the tone but with better clarity, not so sensitive, better definition, etc.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #28 of 28
Hey Everyone, wow this is cool. I wonder though what the difference will be between the es3x and the w4.... I also wonder how it will compare to the ue10 in price AND performance. And then there is the acst1 which costs 650 pounds I think, the pound is kinda low right now which is good for me. So, the customs market is heating up i think. Anybody know what either the es3x or the ue10 costs?
Thanks
And, since I am new to customs, i suppose you odnt have to use separate sleeves with them, just stick them in your ear, right?
Anybody know what material either the ues or the acs products are made off?

Greetings, Anouk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back