Jan 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #16 of 43
I want to listen to that DAC
smile.gif
May be it something interesting.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #17 of 43
It'll be better than Minerva.
Waiting for an ABX.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 43
My new Weiss DAC202 hopefully will arrive next week. I can hardly wait. I've tried a Proton DAC, the Benchmark USB DAC, and am currently using an Ayre QB-9. If I like the Weiss, I may have some used DACs for sale.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 43
My new DAC arrived yesterday. It's a beautiful unit, great build quality (except for a broken/missing Toslink port, being addressed by Weiss). Hook up to my computer was relatively painless, though I was worried by the warnings in the owner's manual about connecting FireWire ONLY when the unit is unplugged and the computer off - something about frying the FW chip with a voltage surge.

I've been listening to some high-res files this morning - William Carter playing early works by Fernando Sor, 192/24, Linn Records. The music sounds wonderful, very true to life. I can hear fret work, fingers sliding and the sound of strings being played. Lots of air around the guitar. Notes sound very natural. I'm in the process of downloading more files, the downside being the file size - an album can be close to 4 GB.

The last DAC I used was the Ayre QB-9. A very nice device, warm presentation and also lots of separation around instruments. However, I'd have to say that the Weiss DAC202 betters it by sounding more natural.

More to follow.....

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 43
Enjoy your new toy, great choice!
I also turn off my computer & DAC2 before I connect them via FW as per Weiss's recommendation, just in case.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 43
Would be interested to know how the AES/SPDIF part of the DAC202 performs compared to other "traditional" DACs.

BTW, will I benefit from the DAC202 if I have only .wav files in my computer ?

Any sharing would be most helpful.

F. Lo

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #23 of 43
Here is a recent review on the DAC202. It is written in Chinese but the photos are of very high quality.

Essentially, the reviewer said the DAC202 is one big step from the Minerva. The quality of the build-in headphone amp is in the same class as the SPL Phonitor, though slightly different presentation.

Weiss DAC202 Review in AVbuzz.com

F. Lo

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #24 of 43
Francis I am using the AES input on my DAC2 and it's nice, I assume the DAC202 will be better still.

May 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 43
Somebody had wondered about the headphone output of the DAC 202. Well, no fear - it sounds wonderful. I've also got a Ray Samuels Audio SR-71A, and the DAC 202 sounds as good if not better. No complaints here.

I've also just purchased a Siltech firewire cable. Although I can't prove it, I'll say that the Siltech sounds better than the cable I was using, an off the shelf generic firewire 800/400. I imagine there's been lots of debate on cables in this forum, some of it negative, but I believe that there are differences.

May 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by docmark@telus.net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody had wondered about the headphone output of the DAC 202. Well, no fear - it sounds wonderful. I've also got a Ray Samuels Audio SR-71A, and the DAC 202 sounds as good if not better. No complaints here.

I've also just purchased a Siltech firewire cable. Although I can't prove it, I'll say that the Siltech sounds better than the cable I was using, an off the shelf generic firewire 800/400. I imagine there's been lots of debate on cables in this forum, some of it negative, but I believe that there are differences.

Well, it will be heart breaking if Weiss DAC/Headphone Amp costing US$6,500+ does not sound better than a battery operated SR-71A ! I am not saying the Black Bird is not good, but being a portable amp it is designed and build with compromises. Personally I would have a much higher expectation from the Weiss headphone amp which has its dedicated drive.

Also, it is interesting to note that even Weiss itself stated clearly in its website that exotic firewire cable will NOT improve the sound of a Weiss firewire DAC. It recommends a well built firewire cable, not the "expensive" ones. Of course, hearing is subjective. As long as you are happy, I think this is want counts.

F. Lo

May 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 43
It's true with asynchronous DACs you don't need an expensive cable.
The Weiss DAC2 is asynchronous and I am sure the DAC202 is to.
Therefore an expensive FW (or USB cable for USB asynchronous DACs) is not necessary.

May 2, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 43
May I inquire what is the best price to get a new DAC202 ? Any direction and hints would be most helpful.

I am so tempted that I would look seriously getting one while trying to have 2 meals per day
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back