New Weiss DAC202
Jan 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

rosgr63

Headphoneus Supremus
Jan 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 43
Looks nice, Weiss has some great studio gear (DS1/EQ1) but imho their DACs are seriously overpriced for what they are. I auditioned their DAC2 and imho it lines up where the other usual suspects are, DAC1, Lavry, even some of the better firewire interfaces. I can only suggest to rely on your own ears.

Now that i think about it, i never saw or read anyone using Weiss DAC/ADC in a studio. However you'll find their DS1/EQ1 in quite some mastering places but it seems for conversion most studios rely on other brands.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 43
Looks really nice indeed!
Compact size, fully balanced, headphone out, remote control, ..

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 43
I am wondering how good the built-in headphone amp will be. US$5,000 retail is not a small investment and I will have to wait for the first move of some brave souls...

Certainly looks nice though. May I ask if they require separate power supply or rely on the firewire power for the DAC portion ?

F. Lo

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering how good the built-in headphone amp will be. US$5,000 retail is not a small investment and I will have to wait for the first move of some brave souls...

Certainly looks nice though. May I ask if they require separate power supply or rely on the firewire power for the DAC portion ?

F. Lo

Hello Francis
I believe it has user selectable 120V/230V.
And yes it is expensive.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 43
Not sure where the $5000 is coming from, but confirmed US retail price will be $6495.

No need for inline power from firewire or separate power supply.

Transparency check is handy on a DAC while tuning a computer setup.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 43
As per Daniel Weiss' info to me:
The retail price of the DAC202 is about Euro 4000 w/o any shipping, duties, VAT.
Unquote

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 43
Thanks for the info. If that is the case it might have a better price in the Europe, even considering taxes, etc, being an european company and all. I hope this is the case with UK as well.

Unlikely, though. Usually the rule of thumb is that something costing X dollars in US will cost X euros in Europe... and X pounds in UK. And that in the best case scenario. That usually happens even with European products, which is something I don't get it.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. If that is the case it might have a better price in the Europe, even considering taxes, etc, being an european company and all. I hope this is the case with UK as well.

Unlikely, though. Usually the rule of thumb is that something costing X dollars in US will cost X euros in Europe... and X pounds in UK. And that in the best case scenario. That usually happens even with European products, which is something I don't get it.

Nomad, I have bought European products from US, had them shipped over to EU and I still saved money.
The only problem is the 120V, but I can live with that!

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nomad, I have bought European products from US, had them shipped over to EU and I still saved money.
The only problem is the 120V, but I can live with that!

So true... I hear you! In UK it is even worse, if you can believe it.
Many thanks for all the info in the DAC202. Cheers.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

F. Lo

Sorry that I must have mistaken about the price. Actually the local news here say HK$50,000 which equates to US$6,450.

My apologies for getting too excited.

F. Lo

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Sorry that I must have mistaken about the price. Actually the local news here say HK$50,000 which equates to US$6,450.

My apologies for getting too excited.

F. Lo

It's these exchange rates!

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh cool, another $5k+ DAC. Where do they think the market is?

Weiss, Berkelely, Sonic Studio, etc. seem to be doing just fine at that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back