New WA7d Fireflies with Two Digital Inputs
Mar 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 49
  Will there be an introductory price for the WA7d similar to what Woo Audio did for the WA7 over a year ago? 

this would be nice.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #19 of 49
Should have made an amp only option for lower price.
I don't use built in dac as it was a little edgy for me.
Still the dac was better than average
I have the new arcam irdac and together they are amazing.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 49
I can see that the D/A option has been replaced with optical. Could the WA7d be used as an optical input / RCA output dedicated DAC?

Looks to be the same functions as the original, but with the additon of Toslink optical input.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 49

I can see that the D/A option has been replaced with optical. Could the WA7d be used as an optical input / RCA output dedicated DAC?

Looks to be the same functions as the original, but with the additon of Toslink optical input.

Yeah, of course I can see that. I don't think I made myself quite clear, so let me rephrase the question.

The original WA7 had three options: USB, RCA, and D/A. For each option, their functions were as follows.
1) USB: use the WA7 as a USB DAC/headphone amp. (input: USB, output: headphone)
2) RCA: use the WA7 purely as a headphone amp, bypassing its DAC circuitry completely (input: RCA, output: headphone)
3) D/A: use the WA7 purely as a USB DAC, bypassing its headphone amp circuitry completely (input: USB, output: RCA)

However, the new WA7d seems to have replaced D/A with Optical. My guess is that the Optical option uses the WA7 as a optical DAC/headphone amp (input: optical, output: headphone).

The thing is, I would also like the use the WA7d purely as an optical DAC (input: Toslink, output: RCA). The ideal scenario would be adding two more options (optical DAC/headphone amp & optical DAC/RCA outputs). But as far as I can tell from the picture, it seems that the WA7d doesn't support using the WA7d as a pure optical DAC, and even removed its USB D/A functionality. In other words, it could only be used as a USB DAC/headphone amp or purely as a headphone amp, but not as a dedicated DAC and unable to bypass its headphone amp circuitry (meaning the RCA inputs could never be used as outputs, as opposed to the original WA7).

I hope I made myself clear this time. I would also like to know what Woo Audio has to say about this.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #22 of 49
FYI, I'll have both the WA7D and the WA7 tube PSU (prototype) on my table at the upcoming 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #25 of 49
Folks posting in this thread seem hard to please! :atsmile:

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #26 of 49
Here are some answers to the discussion so far. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

* The headphone amp sound quality is the same as WA7
* There are 2 digital inputs - 1 USB and 1 optical
* RCA output is no longer available in this version
* You can use the 7d as a preamp by using the 1/4" output
* We plan to release the pricing for the new tube power supply the same time. Sorry but no trade-in. 
* Estimated delivery date is early May. Special pricing will be offered shortly

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #27 of 49
Special pricing hmmm.....I wonder if it will be offered at the Same $799.00 dollars the original WA7 was sold at introduction, compelling? I guess the wallets will speak.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #28 of 49
  Here are some answers to the discussion so far. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

* We plan to release the pricing for the new tube power supply the same time. Sorry but no trade-in. 

You can use the 7d as a preamp by using the 1/4" output
do u mean i can a buy 1/4 to rca output to connect the wa7 duo to my integrated amplifier ?
and it still output the tube sound in my amp?

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #30 of 49

You can use the 7d as a preamp by using the 1/4" output
do u mean i can a buy 1/4 to rca output to connect the wa7 duo to my integrated amplifier ?
and it still output the tube sound in my amp?

Just be aware that you will be double amping unless your integrated can act as power amp only driving your speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back