NEW! Velodyne vTrue Studio Headphones
Jun 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #46 of 119
It should be noted that the image posted on page 1 is an early digital rendering of the product and not an actual product photo.  This image is a better image:

vtrue_1.jpg

We are aware the vTrue is not a style for everyone, however it is quite striking and much more impressive in person.

Note: Rob Morse is the Director of Support Services for Velodyne

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #47 of 119
Quote:
It should be noted that the image posted on page 1 is an early digital rendering of the product and not an actual product photo.  This image is a better image:

vtrue_1.jpg

We are aware the vTrue is not a style for everyone, however it is quite striking and much more impressive in person.

Thanks for the updated image. I'll change it on the first post.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #48 of 119
Just got a pair in today. They're very bassy (it's not as loose as expected, but there is a tiny bit of bleed), pretty dark, decent soundstage, better mids than the D600 (My main problem with the D600 is how dry their vocals are), they seem moderately sturdy, though the headband is inexplicably narrow, which kind of impacts comfort. Also, the cups still look like shiny turtle shells in person. I have pictures, but I'm saving them for my review of them. So far, I like them considering what they are, but they're kind of overpriced at $399. They're worth about half that, maybe $250.

EDIT: They sound quite a bit worse just out of my phone. Shame, since their mic actually works with my Android phone.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #49 of 119
Quote:

vtrue_1.jpg

I appreciate your comments and really wanted to like them.  My issue is not with the styling as I appreciate unique products that are not "cookie cutter".  Based on my experience with them, my opinion is that there was not enough research in terms of focus groups that include a variety of headphone users.  I hope you will take these questions constructively as they are intented and perhaps consider for future launches:

Why would you produce a headphone of such weight that it strains the neck after modest listening time to the point that the headphone's weight distracts from musical enjoyment?

Why would you produce such a large headphone that is not even a true circumaural with comparatively hard earpads?

Why would you state the V-True is an audiophile headphone when the high end is so rolled off that the sound signature more resembles a lower end DJ headphone?

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #50 of 119
Jul 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #51 of 119
Quote:
In case anybody is interested, here's my review of them: http://headfonics.com/2013/07/velodyne-vtrue-form-over-function/

Right on the money, what a disappointment!  Velodyne should really go back to the drawing board with these.  Here's a novel thought- why don't they actually conduct a focus group of headphone enthusiasts/audiophiles and ask them what they expect from a premium headphone, then listen?  There are at least a dozen closed headphones in this price range that are far superior in sound and comfort.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #53 of 119
I'm noticing a disturbing trend where headphones look awful and sound awful. Are they meant for awful people?

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #54 of 119
Quote:
I'm noticing a disturbing trend where headphones look awful and sound awful. Are they meant for awful people?

This one really has me scratching my head (once my stiff neck healed from wearing them).  I can't accept the premise that any proper research was done before manufacturing these.  In other words, I believe they "winged it".  There are too many flaws in the sound and design for these to have been thought-out.

To answer your question, they are meant for the less informed and discerning if I am being diplomatic.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #55 of 119
They don't look...as bad in person. They still look gaudy, but not any gaudier than the Beats Pro. 

I actually read a review of these on a home theater website, and for explosion-heavy movies, they might make sense, but then again, not really because the soundstage isn't fantastic. And they're $400. For explosion headphones.

I'm kind of hesitant to send the link to Velodyne, but maybe they'll realize that this is not okay.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #56 of 119
Quote:
This one really has me scratching my head (once my stiff neck healed from wearing them).  I can't accept the premise that any proper research was done before manufacturing these.  In other words, I believe they "winged it".  There are too many flaws in the sound and design for these to have been thought-out.

To answer your question, they are meant for the less informed and discerning if I am being diplomatic.

I guess everybody is jumping on the headphone bandwagon, getting something out there. We should really qualify our excitement when we hear of a new headphone on the market because there is probably a 75% chance that they will not be worth looking at or hearing. And it seems there is no longer any yardstick or benchmark that sound quality is measured against. And $300-400 is still a lot of money to spend on headphones.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #57 of 119
I got these for Christmas. Bass has lots of quality and quantity, mids are surprisingly not recessed, and the treble is pretty dark. If you like a headphone with a bright or sparkly treble, you probably will not like the vtrues.  

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #58 of 119
I just got some vFrees today and I like them more than the vTrues. I really should get to modding them because I feel like they wouldn't be as bad as I think they are if I reigned up the bass.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #59 of 119
Over the holidays I tried out some of the various Velodyne headphones at the Charlotte airport.  They didn't have the vTrue, but I tried the vQuiet and vLeve.  The vQuiet did not sound good.  I'm guessing the NC did something unpleasant to the sound or they are just not good headphones.  The vLeve on the other hand I was rather impressed by.  They were comfortable, portable, and fun sounding.  I'm still considering picking up a pair just as my on the go portables when I don't feel like worrying about scratching my ES10s.  Admittedly I didn't have long to test both pairs, only about 3 songs each, but those were my initial impressions.  I should be getting a pair of the vBold in the mail soon, and I'm rather hoping they are just a bluetooth version of the vLeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back