NEW! Velodyne vTrue Studio Headphones
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #16 of 119
Quote:
They somehow made a simple design look incredibly tacky and uncomfortable.  It doesn't look anything like Beats.....it looks like something even worse.  Sorry to be a hater, but I would be embarrassed to wear these in the dark in my basement, let alone on the street.

Quote:
Considering there are about two dozen closed, portable, bass-centric cans coming out this season, you may be right as apparently it is a fast growing, highly profitable and lucrative market.  There are 4 or 5 on my short list.  This will not be one of them.

I am eating my words and just ordered a VTrue.  Curiosity got the better of me.  They are shipping UPS ground cross country, so I won't have any comment on them until later next week, but stay tuned.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 119
Quote:
I am eating my words and just ordered a VTrue.  Curiosity got the better of me.  They are shipping UPS ground cross country, so I won't have any comment on them until later next week, but stay tuned.

popcorn.gif

I'm fairly certain that you're the only Head-Fier to give these a go.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #21 of 119
They do look a bit too over the top and futuristic for me, but I bet the sound is amazing. I have the vPulse and they are by far the best sounding IEMs I've ever tried, and better than most low end full sized headphones as well. It blows away anything from Shure*, Xears, Sony, B&W... too bad they don't stay in my ears very well. If the vTrue have a similar sound signature, with the added visceral effect of a large driver and good comfort, these could be the perfect headphones. If only they didn't cost $400...

*Actually, there is something magical about the upper mids on Shure's full sized studio cans that the vPulse doesn't have. But it's also missing from Shure's IEM line, so comparing apples to apples the vPulse is still better than Shure's IEMs.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 119
Subscribed for sound impressions. M-100 and K267 are out of the running for me because the earcups are not deep enough. If this one can deliver the sound and the comfort, it could be a winner.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 119
Received my Velodyne VTrue tonight!

First impressions out of the box (my first impressions usually don't change much after extensive evaluation)

Portability:  They are heavy and bulky, plus they do not fold.  My M-100 feels feather light after wearing the VTrue.  Their weight feels comparable to Beats Pro.  Build quality is top shelf- solid aluminum and plush leather.  Since they were fresh off the UPS truck, the thick metal was very cold.  I had to search for plastic on this headphone and it is only around the dual cable inputs.  Cables are high quality cloth and seem relatively tangle-free.  Despite size and weight, they are reasonably comfortable.  They are very cool looking in person and feel luxurious.  VTrue is driven reasonably well from my Iphone and responds well to amping.

Sound:  These are clearly basshead cans.  Bass rivals my M-100 in terms of quantity and quality, maybe even a little more punch with VTrue without being boomy.  Mids are detailed and are also comparable to M-100 and UE6000. Mids also seem more forward. Highs are noticeably rolled off compared to the M-100 and even slightly compared to the UE6000, but not as dark as something like the Aiaiai TMA-1 or some of the Pioneer DJ headphones.  I would say these are excellent sounding headphones, but I need more time with them to determine if they are for me.  I consider my M-100s to be my go-to, multi-genre audiophile headphone even though they have been categorized as basshead cans.  I am actually looking for a secondary quality basshead can and will see if these meet my needs over the next few weeks.   If you are looking for a basshead can with deep, tight bass, good midrange detail and don't mind rolled off highs, you may want to check them out.  If I had to compare them to another headphone sonically, I would say they are a classy, improved ATH-PRO700MK2.  These have a luxurious feel that you don't experience with synthetic materials and Velodyne didn't skimp on the build quality.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 119
Nice! The beyer dt770 250 sounded very rolled off in the highs for me also (not the 32 LE nearly as much). But after changing my treble setting on my e17 to plus 2 (1 step up) I was satisfied with them in most regards. Does a little eq fix the high end on the velodyne? Also how is the sound stage? Looking at those big leather pads I'm assuming isolation and leakage is awesome!

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #27 of 119
Quote:
Nice! The beyer dt770 250 sounded very rolled off in the highs for me also (not the 32 LE nearly as much). But after changing my treble setting on my e17 to plus 2 (1 step up) I was satisfied with them in most regards. Does a little eq fix the high end on the velodyne? Also how is the sound stage? Looking at those big leather pads I'm assuming isolation and leakage is awesome!

Treble boost helps, but the lack of upper frequency detail compared to my M-100 becomes apparent.  Soundstage is just okay, but not bad.  They don't isolate as much as you would think.  Despite their size, my ears fit better in the M-100 pads.  Here's an idea, maybe you should try the M-100
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 119
not sure if i'll be a fan of a full aluminium can similar to weight of beats pro, but as mentioned above.. bass like headphone is always a win. can't wait to see more reviews and the unboxing provided.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #29 of 119
Are the holes in the earcups smaller than the M-100? Please tell me your ears don't hit the driver enclosure.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 119
Quote:
Are the holes in the earcups smaller than the M-100? Please tell me your ears don't hit the driver enclosure.

They barely touch and only because the driver enclosure is thickly padded which I hope is acoustically transparent.  I can press the foam in about 1/2".  Lots of attention to quality, even with the driver enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back