NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,666 of 4,971
Not being an engineer, I can imagine that temporal coherence of the signal may play a role here (?)

Ok, would you like to explain temporal coherence to us??

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #4,667 of 4,971
Umm not really, I think I am mixing things up.

But I do refer you to the following thread where the same kind of discussion about NAim amps was vaguely explained by someone who seem to know. I am not sure if this is allowed here, it is not my intention to offend anyone.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2431804&postcount=38

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,668 of 4,971
I think the relevant part is this:
"Frequency response into perfect loads does not indicate time domain performance into real loads, so anyone claiming Naim amps. have a flat frequency response as a defence of there treble performance lacks the understanding of the importance of Phase margins and time domain performance when driving "complex" loads."

Once again, sorry if I messed up the terminology, as I said, I am no engineer :p

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #4,669 of 4,971
  I think the relevant part is this:
"Frequency response into perfect loads does not indicate time domain performance into real loads, so anyone claiming Naim amps. have a flat frequency response as a defence of there treble performance lacks the understanding of the importance of Phase margins and time domain performance when driving "complex" loads."

Once again, sorry if I messed up the terminology, as I said, I am no engineer :p

Gee as I've shown that the impedance curve of a planar headphone is flat as can be, that means that type of headphone does not have a complex load, at all. In fact headphones aren't all that complex as far as loads go, especially in the range of audio frequencies. They don't have crossover networks and multiple drivers as loudspeakers do. Too many people arespending too much time making too much hay of nothing. Some folks might be hearing what they want to hear.

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,672 of 4,971
Yeah Mr. Rick, yeah. In fact, we don't even need an external amp, just plug directly to PC or laptop or TV will do.

It's all flat and the vast majority of amps allm sound the exact same. Our hobby is one big lie, and we should all just get a Magni because it will sound the same as all other flat SS amps.

Someone certainly doesn't have good enough ears if the Magni sounds the same as the Vali.

What a joke.

The Magni was my least favorite desktop amp. The Vali is my fave, even after owning stuff like the Audio-GD SA-31 and Lyr.
I love the Vali. It has special quality to it's tonality that the Magni completely lacked.

But yes, the same.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #4,673 of 4,971
It's all flat and the vast majority of amps allm sound the exact same. Our hobby is one big lie, and we should all just get a Magni because it will sound the same as all other flat SS amps.

Someone certainly doesn't have good enough ears if the Magni sounds the same as the Vali.

What a joke.

The Magni was my least favorite desktop amp. The Vali is my fave, even after owning stuff like the Audio-GD SA-31 and Lyr.
I love the Vali. It has special quality to it's tonality that the Magni completely lacked.

But yes, the same.

Why is it that I can hear the difference between my HD650s and HD800s?

Or, between my K712s and my Q701s?

Or between my X2s and BT880 / 600s?

I'll tell you why, because there is a measurable difference in frequency response between my headphones, and I can hear that difference.

With my amplifiers there is no measurable difference in frequency response. So, should I be surprised that I am hearing no difference between them?  No, because what my ears hear is that lack of difference.  

I know that for some it's like being told that there is no Santa Claus, but hey, it is what it is. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #4,674 of 4,971

What a joke.

But yes, the same.

You still can't identify the property of an amp that makes it sound different yet only offer hand waving as an answer. As Mr Rick says, I can also hear the differences in all of my headphones and IEMs. Well one thing one can hear different in the Vali is when one raises the volume to very loud levels it will distort earlier then the Magni, but that's at an uncomfortable level for most headphones, that shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #4,676 of 4,971
Btw, what amps are you using StanD?

I think it's one with a flat frequency response that sounds exactly like all the others
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #4,677 of 4,971
I have to admit that I was almost set to order the Vali. But some of the points raised by StanD and Mr. Rick make me doubt. I have the HE400i, and I quite like them. I just want to get a big enjoyable sound out of them. The problem of living in Europe is that demoing these amps is not as easy as "order both and return one of them later".

I just know that I cannot stand any hint of brightness on the treeble. I am not saying that the Magni-2 is bright. Just saying that I would like to take home the one with the sweetest upper end. I also value good bottom end drive :)

Once again back at square 1 :frowning2:

EDIT: Just ordered the Vali from schiit-europe. If the Vali and the Magni 2 are so close anyway, I cannot go wrong.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #4,678 of 4,971
I ordered Vali without being able to listen first.
What i did was, I read impressions A LOT and decide if that is the sound coloring that you think you will like. Then, gut feeling come into play.
There's a risk for everything my friend.

Vali didn't fail me at all. Its mids smootheness really a pleasant to listen. It pairs with hd800 very well, despite its weaknesses, anyway, all amps have weaknesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back