NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #4,636 of 4,971
Some low impedance headphones have this issue, some do not. With my 300 Ohm HD600 Vali is just perfect.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's the headohone's or IEM's sensitivity not imedance that determines how we hear the ambient noise of the amp. If noise is an issue then the Magni which is quieter and has a gain switch would solve it.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,637 of 4,971
  The noise depends on the sensitivity of the headphones. There's no issues with noise and my HE-500's, they are low impedance.

I can confirm no noise on the 500s.

There is a good deal background hiss with the DT1350, however.  It's not really noticeable while music is playing, which is a plus, but I very rarely use the 1350s with this amp.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #4,638 of 4,971
  Any idea how what the noise would be like with a RE-600? According to HIFIMAN it specs out at  16 ohms for impedance and Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW.
Thanks.

I have heard the RE-600 with the Vali.  It sounds great, but the noise floor makes it unlistenable (and I can easily tolerate the hiss with my Grado SR325is).  I probably listen to music at an average or maybe slightly above average volume, and the hiss is just about as loud as the music.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #4,639 of 4,971
  I have heard the RE-600 with the Vali.  It sounds great, but the noise floor makes it unlistenable (and I can easily tolerate the hiss with my Grado SR325is).  I probably listen to music at an average or maybe slightly above average volume, and the hiss is just about as loud as the music.

Thanks for the answer...

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #4,640 of 4,971
Using the HE500 which benefits from current will obviously play to the Magni's strengths, not the Valis. In this instance, I find the comparison questionable. You need to find a headphone that can play to BOTH the amp's strengths. The Vali is not the most ideal amp for current favored headphones like the older HFM planars. Vali is better at voltage rather than current. A higher impedance, more voltage driven headphone like an HD600/HD650 would be better suited as a comparison, as both the Vali and Magni will do well with it.

Having heard/owned the Magni, Lyr, Vali (and lent an Asgard 2), I find the Vali to be the best of the bunch. Had the most musical, and engaging sound.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,641 of 4,971

I was not referring to ringing with low impedance headphones but hiss. Hiss is mentioned with low impedance headphones many places. Especially IEMs. But Shiit itself also says this regarding Vali.

The noise depends on the sensitivity of the headphones. There's no issues with noise and my HE-500's, they are low impedance.

Definitely this for the Vali. It comes down to sensitivity of the earphone or headphone. You'll hear a hiss with super sensitive earphones and headphones, but for most there won't be an issue. I actually really like the HE500 with my Vali as well. The Vali sounds so clean and smooth, it mushes really well with the HE500.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #4,643 of 4,971
Does anyone know if the Vali will pair well with the Audeze El-8 open headphones in comparisons to the magni 2 über ?

I wanna try out the Vali but am hesitant with the hissing sound supposedly with planars

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #4,644 of 4,971
Does anyone know if the Vali will pair well with the Audeze El-8 open headphones in comparisons to the magni 2 über ?

I wanna try out the Vali but am hesitant with the hissing sound supposedly with planars

I do not have personal experience with Audeze, neither with Magni 2 über.
But I know, some LCD-2 owners are pretty impressed with Vali for the price.
Also, if I had the money for an Audeze (even the El-8) probably I would go for something "more serious":
(Asgard 2, Valhalla 2 or even Lyr 2) :)

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #4,649 of 4,971
What about Vali compared to Valhalla 2? I'm going with V2 now, after being set on the Vali for my HD600s since I've read enough reviews of both that say the bass is tighter and more impacting with the V2 vs. Vali. That's enough of a reason for me with the HD600s. Anyone ACTUALLY compare these two specifically yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #4,650 of 4,971
What about Vali compared to Valhalla 2? I'm going with V2 now, after being set on the Vali for my HD600s since I've read enough reviews of both that say the bass is tighter and more impacting with the V2 vs. Vali. That's enough of a reason for me with the HD600s. Anyone ACTUALLY compare these two specifically yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll paste here what I said in the HD700 thread:

I had the Valhalla 2, but settled with Vali after a lot of listening. Valhalla 2 won't add much to the bottom end, except for a harder hitting, and tighter impact in the upper bass (still no sub-bass). What I found odd was how some people thought the Vali and Valhalla 2 would be really similar sounding and was confused why I even went with Vali instead. To me they sound very different from each other. Valhalla 2 had a hard hitting impact, especially with drum & bass, to the point of it being fatiguing. The Vali was much more smooth and easier on the ears. Also for a tube amp the Valhalla 2 was very bright, adding sibilance into tracks that wouldn't display it with the Vali. Mainly tracks with female vocals.

Returning the Valhalla 2 and sticking with Vali was a difficult decision, but in the end I'm satisfied I let it go.

I didn't say much or go into a whole lot of detail. Though I felt that the Valhalla 2 was the most engaging, best PRAT amp I've heard so far. Though it took it to a level that was so intense that my ears would be ringing the next day after listening. Mind you, to me the V2 was a bright amp, and paired with a bright headphone (HD700), it wasn't the best combination for me being sensitive to high freq treble. It reminds me of a SS amp, except without any of the dryness.

Would actually love to hear the HD600 with the V2, would probably be a great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back