NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Feb 20, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #4,501 of 4,971
I'm comparing my Lyr 2 with top of the line tubes: 75 Reflectors HG with Vali and the Vali is about 90-95% of the Lyr 2 with those tubes.

The difference is the Lyr 2's bass goes lower and has more presence and treble is a little more extended and airy while the Vali is more mid centric, more mid bass punch and slightly more lively and upfront.  

Overall the Lyr 2 is slightly more well balanced, smoother and refined and it's mostly because of the 75 Reflectors that it's more detailed and layered. Hence the Lyr 2 is very immersive.  You can get lost in the layered details. But again the Vali gets your toe tapping and head bopping and sucks you into the music.  It's a fun little amp. 

But dang, when you consider that the tubes on the Lyr 2 cost more than the Vali itself, you can't help love the Vali more.  I mean, the sound signature of the Lyr 2 with 75 Reflectors and Vali are very scary similar... too close.  Of course throw in different tubes on the Lyr 2 and they sound completely different, but with these Russian Voskhod and Reflectors, they share a very similar sound signature.

This is all with LCD-2F with Uber Bifrost.  To give some background, in the past, I had the Vali and sold it to get the Lyr 2 but recently repurchased it.  Back then when I purchases the Lyr 2, I was initially very disappointment and what I thought was a downgrade from Vali.  I mean the Vali kills the Lyr 2 with stock tubes.  But it was only when the Lyr 2 had the Top of the Line tubes that the Lyr 2 surpassed the Vali. And it was only by a small amount, at least to my ears.  I say small also because I prefer the sound signature of the Vali over the Lyr2.  It's a preference thing. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #4,502 of 4,971
Not a direct comparison, but I have the Lyr 1 and with the 74 Reflektors I thought the Lyr was fuller, clearer, and had more slam.  Love the Vali, but felt the Lyr was a definite step up.  How long have you had the Lyr 2 and HG's?  Never heard either, but looking forward to it someday.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,503 of 4,971
I'm owning Schiit stack: Modi/ Vali and it is performing amazingly.

I have 3 headphones, Hifiman HE-400, Senn HD600 and Denon D2000.

On HE-400: Vali is slightly different from my other amp: MapleTree Ear+ HD.

On HD600: on MapEar, it absolutely performs better but it is still very good at Vali.
On D2000: Vali is completely more excellent than MapEar, because this D2000 got clipping on MapEar but very sweet and smooth on Vali.

If someone said that Vali is the best amp for the price up to $1650, it is a true exaggeration, but Vali is obviously a good amp, or even best amp I've tried up to $300, clearly a bargain.

I absolutely love my vali with my HD650 and SR325is and due to the law of diminishing returns am going to stick with this amp dac combo for some time. Just need to try some planars :smiley:

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #4,506 of 4,971
Agree. It's a hybrid tube amp and I find it perry neutral.
Quote:
I find it pretty neutral, certainly not bass centric. It's fairly natural sounding with outstanding clarity with all genres I've tried.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #4,507 of 4,971
To my ears the difference between the lyr 2 with 75 reflectors and Vali is like LCD-2f and LCD/3f. It is a step up but it's not huge. But that's subjective. I like the Vali because of its mid centric and lively sound.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,508 of 4,971
I think I'm trying to justify the cost of Lyr 2 with 75 HG Reflector tubes over the Vali and at the same time not sound like a idiot.
So I feel like I'm trying to say to myself the Lyr 2 is better. 

But when I'm casually listening, I can't tell the difference between the two. The Lye 2 with 75 HG and Vali sound signature sound so similar and they perform on such a similar level, it's really hard to tell the difference.

You got to really listen for the difference.  Yes, the Lyr 2 bass goes lower and the treble extends slightly higher and sound stage slightly more open and slightly more detailed and layered while the Vali has more mid bass oriented and mid centric and sounds little more intimate but these differences are very subtle... at least on my LCD-2F.

I feel like I'm keeping the Lyr 2 just because it looks better stacked on top of the Uber Bifrost.

All that you love about the Voskhod and Reflectors, the Vali does it, really well! 

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4,509 of 4,971
To my ears the difference between the lyr 2 with 75 reflectors and Vali is like LCD-2f and LCD/3f. It is a step up but it's not huge. But that's subjective. I like the Vali because of its mid centric and lively sound.

Could you share your thoughts on the Vali with the PS500e? My apologies if you've posted them already.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,510 of 4,971
  I think I'm trying to justify the cost of Lyr 2 with 75 HG Reflector tubes over the Vali and at the same time not sound like a idiot.
So I feel like I'm trying to say to myself the Lyr 2 is better. 

But when I'm casually listening, I can't tell the difference between the two. The Lye 2 with 75 HG and Vali sound signature sound so similar and they perform on such a similar level, it's really hard to tell the difference.

You got to really listen for the difference.  Yes, the Lyr 2 bass goes lower and the treble extends slightly higher and sound stage slightly more open and slightly more detailed and layered while the Vali has more mid bass oriented and mid centric and sounds little more intimate but these differences are very subtle... at least on my LCD-2F.

I feel like I'm keeping the Lyr 2 just because it looks better stacked on top of the Uber Bifrost.

All that you love about the Voskhod and Reflectors, the Vali does it, really well! 

I sold my Lyr recently and now I'm back with the Vali.

The Vali is a very good match with the LCD-X and I have the feeling that it's going to be the perfect amp for the EL-8.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #4,512 of 4,971
Does any one use the Vali with AGK K712 ? Is it a good match or for this Tide or is the Magni better suited... Thanks in advance !

I use my AKG K7xx from Massdrop with my Schiit Vali and it sounds fantastic. Plenty of headroom with the volume knob around 11-12. 

If you can live with the minor ringing you get when you first turn the Vali on, it's a great combo imo. 

Heard the combo from my friend's first edition Magni and found that the Vali was by far more musical. I have not heard the combo with the new Magni 2. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #4,514 of 4,971
  Just picked up a Vali second hand. Only issue is my headphones don't plug into the headphone jack. I'm assuming I need one of those 3.5mm to 6.35mm jack adapters?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back