NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3,361 of 4,971
  I have a feeling that it'll work out nicely. The HD700's are reasonably sensitive.

The HD700 has a full-bodied, dark-leaning, and slightly veiled sound so I think it would pair very well with the Vali since the Vali gives a crisp and light sound signature.

In my opinion, it's much better with the HD700, but I'm going to compare the Asgard/Vali and Denon/HD700s more tomorrow.

Oddly enough, I sold my Bifrost to help fund the Vali/HD700 purchase, and I'm satisfied. Hopefully I'll feel the same after my comparison tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

(what I've been listening to for comparison)
http://music.monstercat.com/album/monstercat-013-awakening
http://music.monstercat.com/album/monstercat-014-discovery

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #3,362 of 4,971
Hey guys,

Hopefully I'll be a proud owner of the Vali in a couple of hours! I had a question though while I impatiently wait: do you think it's a mistake buying only the Vali and not it's best friend the Modi as well? The Modi was out of stock where I bought it (dealer Netherlands). Do you think it will be enjoyable on it's own (used with a Hifiman HE-400 and soon a modded T50RP)? I never had an amplifier before, so I figured it would be an improvement either way

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #3,363 of 4,971
What's your budget? What's your sound profile?

Dont know much, for the sound signature. I currentley have a sr60 and sr 225.
Im thinking selling the 225 to source something else.
Budget around 250.
Would like to try some phone but i only find a grado dealer around.
And cant find better than hd558 in all the place i visited.

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,364 of 4,971
Hey guys,

Hopefully I'll be a proud owner of the Vali in a couple of hours! I had a question though while I impatiently wait: do you think it's a mistake buying only the Vali and not it's best friend the Modi as well? The Modi was out of stock where I bought it (dealer Netherlands). Do you think it will be enjoyable on it's own (used with a Hifiman HE-400 and soon a modded T50RP)? I never had an amplifier before, so I figured it would be an improvement either way

Probably a nice improvement. What are you going use to drive the Vali?

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3,365 of 4,971
Dont know much, for the sound signature. I currentley have a sr60 and sr 225.
Im thinking selling the 225 to source something else.
Budget around 250.
Would like to try some phone but i only find a grado dealer around.
And cant find better than hd558 in all the place i visited.

Thanks.

How about describing the sound signature. How did you like the HD558?
For around $250, I would recommend a Schiit Asgard 2, I have one and it does a great job, it's versatile and can drive a large variety of cans. I prefer a clean sound, some prefer tube amps that add a touch of even order harmonic distortion (call that color). A really good pure tube amp that can drive low impedance cans is going to cost plenty more than you have budgeted.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #3,366 of 4,971

Hey Stan,

That's my problem, I have no dedicated DAC. I'm just running PC -> Vali -> Hifiman HE-400.

That being said, I can hear an improvement already in the two minutes in which it's turned on. Wish I had the Modi to compare!

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #3,368 of 4,971

Hey Stan,

That's my problem, I have no dedicated DAC. I'm just running PC -> Vali -> Hifiman HE-400.

That being said, I can hear an improvement already in the two minutes in which it's turned on. Wish I had the Modi to compare!

Most PC's have lousy amps, so there no mystery to that improvement. May laptop has a surprisingly good DAC and AMP but not still not up to decent external gear. I'm thinking of getting a Schiit Bifrost with the USB and Uber audio options, in the next week or two.
What guitar is that in your avatar?

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #3,369 of 4,971
  The Vali scales up really well with a good DAC. Tried it with the Dragonfly, Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V2.  I can definitely tell the difference between the three with the Rega and Naim providing great depth and detail while smoothing out the top end. Probably overkill but the Bifrost Uber at a minimum would be a great match.

+1
Actually Purrin recommended the Bifrost Uber as the minimum.  He highly recommended Gungnir for the Vali.  So it does scale well. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,370 of 4,971
  How about describing the sound signature. How did you like the HD558?
For around $250, I would recommend a Schiit Asgard 2, I have one and it does a great job, it's versatile and can drive a large variety of cans. I prefer a clean sound, some prefer tube amps that add a touch of even order harmonic distortion (call that color). A really good pure tube amp that can drive low impedance cans is going to cost plenty more than you have budgeted.

Dont want to go too much OT but i really enjoy the ralaxed sound and airy (soundstage?) sound of the 558, i also fell they have little more bass in them over my SR, I know im bad in sound terminology!
For my budget i dont want to change my Vali since i got it two days ago and enoyed it, im still looking for a good (afordable) beginner dac and another pair of headphone
When the time as come i will for sure try another Schiit...

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,371 of 4,971
Hey guys,

I have both the Vali and it's little friend the Modi; and I have to say they sound awesome together with my AKG K702's.  I had the Vali for about 7-8 weeks before I ordered the Modi, and it sounded great all by itself using a variety of sources (NAD CD player, my MacBook, and even by iPod Classic).  The addition of the Modi only improved the sound, adding more depth and clarity to the overall soundstage. I think you will be very happy with the Vali all by itself; but, adding the Modi only makes it better!  Enjoy.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #3,372 of 4,971

Dont want to go too much OT but i really enjoy the ralaxed sound and airy (soundstage?) sound of the 558, i also fell they have little more bass in them over my SR, I know im bad in sound terminology!
For my budget i dont want to change my Vali since i got it two days ago and enoyed it, im still looking for a good (afordable) beginner dac and another pair of headphone
When the time as come i will for sure try another Schiit...

If you like the HD558's, you'd probably love the HD600's. I have both. The HD600 does very well with the Vali, in fact I'm using that pair right now.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #3,373 of 4,971
  The Vali scales up really well with a good DAC. Tried it with the Dragonfly, Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V2.  I can definitely tell the difference between the three with the Rega and Naim providing great depth and detail while smoothing out the top end. Probably overkill but the Bifrost Uber at a minimum would be a great match.

I'd agree with this for sure based on my recent experience. Vali sounded more open moving to the Emotiva DC-1 from the Burson DAC in the HA160D. I consider all DAC changes to be pretty minor but as far as DAC changes go, this one was noticeable to my ears with some songs and a welcome improvement. The Vali scales well.

I'v listened to the DC-1 + Vali combo more in the past week with the HD800 and it's pretty great. lots of detail, expansive soundstage, not shrill or fatiguing. 

It's less dense and meaty than the Burson presentation (less midbass) but has more apparent instrument detail - mainly in bass - and improves soundstage, which is one of the main reasons to get an HD800, imo.

I liked the HD800 with the HA160D, but the Vali and DC-1 is a bit of an improvement in several areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back