NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,031 of 4,971
  IF A VALI RINGS IN THE WOODS.. AND NO ONE'S AROUND TO HEAR IT.. DOES IT MAKE A SOUND?

Seriously, folks.. it rings (less for some.. more for others).. we know..

Ask the bear that Schiits in the woods, he knows.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,032 of 4,971
Today my Asgard 2 arrived. Now I can compare that to the Vali. I will probably keep both Schiits.
biggrin.gif

That Asgard 2 sounds very good.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #3,033 of 4,971
Was about to pull the trigger on the Vali and Modi combo, but there's no outputs to pipe the DAC to my stereo amplifier to broaden it's appeal.  Wondering if there's a Y type cable setup to siphon the signal from the Modi to the Vali and the big stereo amplifier?  Or is this simply not an option w/ this combo?

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3,034 of 4,971
  IF A VALI RINGS IN THE WOODS.. AND NO ONE'S AROUND TO HEAR IT.. DOES IT MAKE A SOUND?

Seriously, folks.. it rings (less for some.. more for others).. we know..

Very deep, and also very cute. LOL.

This may be revolutionary but people not only have to deal with microphonics from the Vali, they must also deal with the reality that microphonics will also be a permanent part of the Vali thread on Head-Fi. It will literally be on every page more than once. Now deal with that! ROFL.

Stop complaining about people who are complaining about microphonics
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3,035 of 4,971
You could use a RCA switch, one with Two RCA input's and plug the modi into one and the stereo into the other, then the RCA output into the Vali. That way you can switch input's. Tho I don't know how much effect it will have on the quality of the setup.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #3,036 of 4,971
  You could use a RCA switch, one with Two RCA input's and plug the modi into one and the stereo into the other, then the RCA output into the Vali. That way you can switch input's. Tho I don't know how much effect it will have on the quality of the setup.

Thanks for that.  I was thinking of those little Y type splitters would function but was wondering if there'd be problems introduced into the mix.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #3,039 of 4,971
  How do the Sony MDR MA900s and Philips Fidelio L1 and X1 work with the vali?

The X1s sound fan-screwing-tastic with the Vali. Dynamic and rich are the words.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #3,040 of 4,971
  I contacted Electromod to get a pricequote with shipping (from the uk to germany) and it ended up to be 170€ total or 230US$. Crazy...

Yeah, that sure is crazy! I keep checking Audiophonics but the Vali hasn't popped up there yet!

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,041 of 4,971
How do the Sony MDR MA900s and Philips Fidelio L1 and X1 work with the vali? Also, even though it's out of my price range, just out of curiosity, how is the HD 650?

The X1s sound fan-screwing-tastic with the Vali. Dynamic and rich are the words.

Just got the Vali and it sounds great with the X1. A little more clarity than my M-Stage.

Also, my unit doesn't have any major ringing issues. Only when you tap it and plugging in a headphone. Doesn't last long (3 secs) and barely audible.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,042 of 4,971
  Today my Asgard 2 arrived. Now I can compare that to the Vali. I will probably keep both Schiits.
biggrin.gif

How does it compare to the Vali and with what headphones?

I've already tried the Asgard2 with both HE-500's and HD600's. In a word, outstanding. If I had to keep only one or could only purchase one, it would be the Asgard 2. The HD600's do well with both amps. The HE-500's does OK with the Vali but the Asgard2 can drive them much harder and that pairing will be my choice. I'll have to try some more later but from memory I think the Asgard delivered bass better to the HE-500's, I'll have to do an A/B this weekend as I wouldn't trust memory for an accurate comparison.
Of course the Asgard doesn't have the ringing, which in the Vali I have doesn't bug me so much...........OK, just for you....I plugged in my Momentums which are much more sensitive. On the Vali I could hear noise. On the Asgard2 with the gain switch on high and the volume cranked up all the way, not a peep. If I turned on the music my head would have imploded, my eyes would pop out and I would be deaf till death. This amp is the bee's knees.

The Vali does an excellent job with the HD600's, since they are not too sensitive, I hear no noise, yet the HD600's are sensitive enough for the Vali to drive quite loudly. Either amp does an excellent job with the HD600's. If you are planning to drive sensitive IEM's/cans or low efficiency Orthos, the Vali may not be for you. They do an adequate job of driving the HE-600's with no apparent extra distortion, read as sufficient headroom unless you need to play real loud. I can turn it up all the way with the HE-500's and not feel pain although I wouldn't want to listen at that level for too long even though it is not quite blasting. An HE-6 or similar low efficiency can is out of the question. If you like your Vali and it works with your cans/IEM's keep it and enjoy the music.
TIme to swap the Momentums out and the HE-500's in. I'll listen more to the Vali later as it's upstairs.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #3,044 of 4,971
Today my Asgard 2 arrived. Now I can compare that to the Vali. I will probably keep both Schiits.:D

I recently received my Asgard 2, as well. I also love how it sounds.

The Vali and the Asgard 2 are both great sounding amps, but they do sound quite different from one another.

You know what the Vali sounds like, given this is the Vali thread.

The Asgard 2 is smooth, warm, composed, and relaxed. A calm and controlled sound with nothing out of place and no rough edges. Perhaps not the ultimate in transparency, but a very relaxing and well put together sound.

The Asgard 2 has more power than the Vali, and because of that I prefer it over the Vali with both my HE-400 and HE-500. It has more grip and more of a sense of control. The Vali loses out in authority with these phones, in comparison.

The AKG Q701 sounds very good on both amps. Different sounding on each amp, but both very good.

Both amps are great, but mating each of them with the right headphones brings out the best from each. They really don't compete with each other, but are superb amps with their own unique sound. Having one does not negate the other, IMO. I'm happy to own both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back