NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,958 of 4,971
For everyone fearing/experiencing the ring problem, I have finally found a solution!

I remember when people first started using these for audio. Not sure about this one, but the original platforms were actually made for the scientific fields, for removing the tiniest vibrations from electron microscopes (which would be placed on top of the platforms). So the science behind these platforms is sound. No gimmick.

As for the value proposition, probably not in the realm of reality for most folks.

IIRC, the original microscope platforms, as reviewed by Stereophile, cost several thousand dollars. Again, they were designed for medical and scientific applications, where labs and institutions could justify the price.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #2,960 of 4,971
I think LSD will have a greater affect on what you hear than this tranquility pad. I recommend neither.
I'm sure that Rem0o was fool'in.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2,961 of 4,971
  Question for Vali owners:

Is the Vali better than the Magni and the O2 amp? I know I am comparing with solid state amps but this is for the DT 990 and maybe future HE-400 or HD 650. Is the microphonic as bad as the website says and a big deal? Like will I hear it when I talk or move my head? Or will I only hear a ring when I turn on the amp to warm up and plugging in the headphones only?

I was thinking to get this amp for the DT990 pro as well, lots of people have said it pairs well with it but they don't really describe why. Is it because using the Vali brings out more of the mids as it sounds a bit warmer? 

As for the Magni/O2, I think they are more versatile than these. 

Would appreciate feedback from those who have used it with DT990's 

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2,962 of 4,971
  Found this on their website:
“One could hear the air surrounding the instruments and singers more clearly with the Tranquility Base”

“Bass was also enhanced with the Tranquility Base. It seemed to be more powerful, dynamic, and better controlled”

“The Tranquility Base performed its magic without hardening or brightening the sound”

Synergistic Research Tranquility BASE conditioning a wireless router

“One other quality of the Tranquility Base is its acoustic isolation properties… the Base is actually two products combined”

Such a gimmick!

PFF that's no gimmick man! That's the sound of $995 of pure grade Expectional Bias xD 

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,963 of 4,971
PFF that's no gimmick man! That's the sound of $995 of pure grade Expectional Bias xD 

You can always do a 30 day trial with someone like the cable company and see if it really works. If I'm in the us I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If (and it's a big if) it works, it's a pretty good upgrade as it will work with any gear you put on it. Depending on the price of your kit this may well be worthwhile. (Goes for most platforms.) Plus if it doesn't then you can let us all know.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,964 of 4,971
I'm pretty sure, if it worked at all, your return on investment would be less than .01%

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,965 of 4,971
The real question... Will the tranquility base fix a Xbox rrod?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,967 of 4,971
I'm pretty sure, if it worked at all, your return on investment would be less than .01%

Umm no. Not really.

First of all, how do you define 'return on investment'? It cannot make you profits but neither can any audio equipment. So what is this 'return' you're talking about?

As I said IF it works and can improve on your existing equipment, then that's pretty good because:

a.) You can keep your current gear with all its functionalities - no need to decide between sq and inputs for example.

b.) You can put all your stuff on 'normal' furniture as it claoms to replace audio equipment racks.

c.) You can keep the base and its abilities regardless of how many times you upgrade.

Now I did mention that it depends on how much your stuff costs in the first place. Mainly because if you own a $5k dac or anything totl, it's quite hard to upgrade as you're getting to a point where personal preferences matter quite a lot more - there's so little in absolute quality between totl sota gear I find. So an ability to improve things without getting a differemt signature is probably quite welcome. If the base does that then it's a plus.

Also if you own a $5k amp then upgrading to another amp is going to cost you probably >>$1k as you're not likely to get more than 70% when you sell the old one plus you'll have to spend on a new amp which probably cost more than $5k. In this case, the base is a viable alternative.

Look, I'm not trying to say it works wonders or that eveyone should buy one. All I'm saying is that a.) I do not feel we should redicule something if we haven't tried it and b.) What may seem unviable to you may not be so silly for others.

Yes I agree that what appears to be a glorified slab for putting your stuff on shouldn't cost more than $20-50 at most. Yes I admit that I am not entirely clear as to how it might work or achieve the alleged capabilities. But then I don't clearly know why a mundorf capacitor is better than a panasonic but that doesn't mean it's bs. As for this base, I'd say it's not certain to do what its maker claims, but I'd love to find out for sure.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,968 of 4,971
:[ sad;y guys something's come up and I need to sell my Vali! So there's one in the FS for the time being!

I will say this though, I like the Vali... a lot! So much I might buy it again ... in the next month or so kind of again! 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,969 of 4,971
Umm no. Not really.

First of all, how do you define 'return on investment'? It cannot make you profits but neither can any audio equipment. So what is this 'return' you're talking about?

As I said IF it works and can improve on your existing equipment, then that's pretty good because:

a.) You can keep your current gear with all its functionalities - no need to decide between sq and inputs for example.

b.) You can put all your stuff on 'normal' furniture as it claoms to replace audio equipment racks.

c.) You can keep the base and its abilities regardless of how many times you upgrade.

Now I did mention that it depends on how much your stuff costs in the first place. Mainly because if you own a $5k dac or anything totl, it's quite hard to upgrade as you're getting to a point where personal preferences matter quite a lot more - there's so little in absolute quality between totl sota gear I find. So an ability to improve things without getting a differemt signature is probably quite welcome. If the base does that then it's a plus.

Also if you own a $5k amp then upgrading to another amp is going to cost you probably >>$1k as you're not likely to get more than 70% when you sell the old one plus you'll have to spend on a new amp which probably cost more than $5k. In this case, the base is a viable alternative.

Look, I'm not trying to say it works wonders or that eveyone should buy one. All I'm saying is that a.) I do not feel we should redicule something if we haven't tried it and b.) What may seem unviable to you may not be so silly for others.

Yes I agree that what appears to be a glorified slab for putting your stuff on shouldn't cost more than $20-50 at most. Yes I admit that I am not entirely clear as to how it might work or achieve the alleged capabilities. But then I don't clearly know why a mundorf capacitor is better than a panasonic but that doesn't mean it's bs. As for this base, I'd say it's not certain to do what its maker claims, but I'd love to find out for sure.

The "return" is a subjective and relative matter based on personal preference.

You made alot of words assuming I was showing indifference and ridicule, when I was actually simply stating my opinion.

Too many people it seems get their panties in a wad over nothing.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,970 of 4,971

I have Vali (serial number 761 or so) two days so only basic listening experience (Nina Simone, Diana Krall, Return To Forever blu-ray, Led Zeppelin Presence CD, Jeff Beck Performing Live at Ronnie blu-ray). Paired with Denon d2000 (modded, recabled). Plugged mogami (with neutrik plugs) 3m extension cable, switched ON, wait few minutes for working temperature.

Dear prsut, could you please say something about the (possibly high) noise floor when pairing the Vali with the Denon headphones? There were very few comments about this in the thread, some positive and others negative...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back