NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #2,927 of 4,971
  I just turn my Vali on 72 hours prior to playing, have volume preset, headphones plugged in, walk softly and wear plushy slippers so as not to disturb the tubes. Often I hold my breath but this is not ideal for listening to more than really short Ramones tracks (which is like every Ramones track). Eventually I shall tire of The Ramones then what? Yes, this is sarcasm.

yea for you maybe, you wanna see my Vali Slippers, or the building apartus I've made for listening to my Vali 

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2,930 of 4,971
  Here's a post that doesn't mention...   (you know what...)

Nope, this post is about how awesome my Beyerdynamic DT1350 "Facelift" sounds with the Vali!  I've had the Vali for about a week now, but only just thought to try it with my DT1350, and I've never heard better from the DT1350.  The Vali sort of pushes the DT1350 in the direction of the Amperior.

I'm so enchanted by this pairing, I'm thinking I like it better than the Vali > HD800.   

If you've got 'em, try 'em.

Mike

I am listening to this pairing as I type this and must say it is lovely, in fact, I think I prefer it to the Vali-HD-650 pairing. Thanks for posting about this combo, I would never have thought of it and am enjoying it very much. That's synergy for you. I also love my Q701's with the Vali as well. Different sound but very enjoyable as well, particularly with stringed instruments and acoustic music. Love my Vali, such a great little amp!

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,932 of 4,971
  I'm sure that you can adjust the volume knob without any ringing, even touch the case, That's how it plays out for me.
Doesn't the Vali drive those HD600, pretty loud? Or as Jimi Hendrix once sang, "I have a hummingbird that hums so loud, you think you were losing your mind." 
basshead.gif

9:00 on the volume knob is pretty loud. I usually listen at 8:00 or so.

I'm afraid my hummingbird hums so loud that it's is turned up to 12:00   
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

Do you have your source turned up all the way?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,933 of 4,971
Right around 0830 on the volune knob, for me is loud enough.

What's that, I can't hear you? 
biggrin.gif

Actually I forget which can's you are pairing with. Are they very sensitive and can you hear some background noise when the music is low or stopped?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,934 of 4,971
Using Audirvana on my Mac mini, I chose the software volume to be disabled, so I'm not sure if that defaults it to 100% volume or what.
Maybe my DAC has a high output voltage...if that would make a difference?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,935 of 4,971
Using Audirvana on my Mac mini, I chose the software volume to be disabled, so I'm not sure if that defaults it to 100% volume or what.
Maybe my DAC has a high output voltage...if that would make a difference?

What comes out of your source goes into your amp an affects the volume coming out and is part of what determines where you set the volume knob.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,937 of 4,971
So far, I've tried the Mad Dogs, HD600, Q701, and PX100-II out of the Vali.

The PX100-II was easily my favorite pairing.

!!!!... No kidding? I would have never have thought to try it, what with all of the higher-end cans lying around.

I'll try it tonight after my session with the HD598, which sounds marvelous on the Vali.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #2,938 of 4,971
!!!!... No kidding? I would have never have thought to try it, what with all of the higher-end cans lying around.

I'll try it tonight after my session with the HD598, which sounds marvelous on the Vali.

Let me know! I'm curious to what others think.

It's a bit sensitive, but its nothing too bad once the music starts playing.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #2,939 of 4,971
What's that, I can't hear you? :D  
Actually I forget which can's you are pairing with. Are they very sensitive and can you hear some background noise when the music is low or stopped?

I'm using Philips X1s and I think they are pretty sensitive cans but I don't hear the noise floor at all even if I crank the volume up all the way.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #2,940 of 4,971
I'm using Philips X1s and I think they are pretty sensitive cans but I don't hear the noise floor at all even if I crank the volume up all the way.

The noise floor probably doesn't change with the volume control in this amp. When I put on sensitive cans I was able to hear it the same regardless of the control's position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back