NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,911 of 4,971
I've never tried any of the Sennheiser headphones. It seems the Vali has good synergy and is a great pairing with some of their headphones. I'll be curious to try them sometime hopefully.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,912 of 4,971
OK, I'll chime in and give my two cents about the Vali's sound. First some background...
I just parted out most of my semi-high-buck 2.2 channel speaker system and went to
headphone listening full-time. I've had a pair of HD590's for 8-9 years, but used them sparingly until a couple months ago when I started listening to them when my wife and kids grew tired of hearing loud music when doing homework, watching TV, pretty much all the time. So I found a package deal from Craigslist that included a pair of HD600's and a Vali. I just ordered an Uber Bifrost, but for now I'm using a Peachtree Nova as my DAC along with a Mac mini, iUSB and a V-Link 192. The Vali and HD600 combo just makes me smile. I love when music takes me to another place, and this does it every time for me. That's something my speaker system only did a couple times in 2 years. Maybe the best part, is that I'll just sit and listen to an entire album without wanting to skip tracks or check my Facebook/Twitter/E-Mail. I originally wanted to get a Bottlehead Crack, and I still probably will, but I'm I absolutely no rush with an inexpensive amp that sounds this good.

But... does it ring? 

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,914 of 4,971
  I've never tried any of the Sennheiser headphones. It seems the Vali has good synergy and is a great pairing with some of their headphones. I'll be curious to try them sometime hopefully.

I can vouch for the Vali's excellence with an HD600, Last night, I must have spent 3 hours attached to the combination. The bass was rather good. In fact everything was rather good. I posted earlier that the Over Ear Momentums sounded good but are more sensitive and you can hear a drop of noise in the background. I have a pair of HD558's around here, I'll get around to trying them some other time but I suspect that the noise will be there as well since they are sensitive and don't need amping with decent smartphone or DAP. Tonight the HE-500 comes back into the rotation.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,915 of 4,971
Sure, it rings for 20 seconds or so after it gets bumped, but it doesn't bother me.
I listen for an hour at a time without touching anything except my iPad.

I'm sure that you can adjust the volume knob without any ringing, even touch the case, That's how it plays out for me.
Doesn't the Vali drive those HD600, pretty loud? Or as Jimi Hendrix once sang, "I have a hummingbird that hums so loud, you think you were losing your mind." 
basshead.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,916 of 4,971

OK, I'll chime in and give my two cents about the Vali's sound. First some background...
I just parted out most of my semi-high-buck 2.2 channel speaker system and went to
headphone listening full-time. I've had a pair of HD590's for 8-9 years, but used them sparingly until a couple months ago when I started listening to them when my wife and kids grew tired of hearing loud music when doing homework, watching TV, pretty much all the time. So I found a package deal from Craigslist that included a pair of HD600's and a Vali. I just ordered an Uber Bifrost, but for now I'm using a Peachtree Nova as my DAC along with a Mac mini, iUSB and a V-Link 192. The Vali and HD600 combo just makes me smile. I love when music takes me to another place, and this does it every time for me. That's something my speaker system only did a couple times in 2 years. Maybe the best part, is that I'll just sit and listen to an entire album without wanting to skip tracks or check my Facebook/Twitter/E-Mail. I originally wanted to get a Bottlehead Crack, and I still probably will, but I'm I absolutely no rush with an inexpensive amp that sounds this good.

But... does it ring? 

Can anyone suggest a mod? Surely there's a quantum physicist here who can devise a stasis field. A Head-Fier may need to initially lobby for the planet's nations to unify and fund such a scientific endeavour. Should be a simple task though. You just need to remind world leaders of the Vali's $119 price tag and the trillions required to harness black holes will seem like church change. See if these whiny tubes squeal in the absence of space-time.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,917 of 4,971

Can anyone suggest a mod? Surely there's a quantum physicist here who can devise a stasis field. A Head-Fier may need to initially lobby for the planet's nations to unify and fund such a scientific endeavour. Should be a simple task though. You just need to remind world leaders of the Vali's $119 price tag and the trillions required to harness black holes will seem like church change. See if these whiny tubes squeal in the absence of space-time.

Perhaps Ensor's creation Orac can do it. Blake's 7

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,918 of 4,971
I just turn my Vali on 72 hours prior to playing, have volume preset, headphones plugged in, walk softly and wear plushy slippers so as not to disturb the tubes. Often I hold my breath but this is not ideal for listening to more than really short Ramones tracks (which is like every Ramones track). Eventually I shall tire of The Ramones then what? Yes, this is sarcasm.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2,920 of 4,971
I've had the Vali for a few weeks now and agree that it pairs well with HD600s. Best way I can describe the sound from the Vali is smooth and consistent. Kind of like it takes the peaks and valleys of a song and smooths it all out to be at a consistent level, if that makes any sense . As far as microphonics go I only get ringing when first powering on my Vali (about 30sec). 

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #2,921 of 4,971
Here's a post that doesn't mention...   (you know what...)

Nope, this post is about how awesome my Beyerdynamic DT1350 "Facelift" sounds with the Vali!  I've had the Vali for about a week now, but only just thought to try it with my DT1350, and I've never heard better from the DT1350.  The Vali sort of pushes the DT1350 in the direction of the Amperior.

I'm so enchanted by this pairing, I'm thinking I like it better than the Vali > HD800.   

If you've got 'em, try 'em.

Mike

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,924 of 4,971
I'm sure that you can adjust the volume knob without any ringing, even touch the case, That's how it plays out for me.
Doesn't the Vali drive those HD600, pretty loud? Or as Jimi Hendrix once sang, "I have a hummingbird that hums so loud, you think you were losing your mind." :basshead:  

9:00 on the volume knob is pretty loud. I usually listen at 8:00 or so.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,925 of 4,971
Right around 0830 on the volune knob, for me is loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back