NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #2,896 of 4,971
For my setup (Oatley tube hybrid amp) tubing mod has solved the ringing issue completely, so just give it a try and lets see if it will fix Vali issues.
I have ordered Vali for myself and when i have it and mod it, i will give some feedback.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,897 of 4,971
didn't that use a different tube though? 6418? When I last used 6418s and 6111s I had no real microphonics issues as opposed to the vave here despite both being sub minatures also. I just used gromets to hold the tubes.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,898 of 4,971
  Maybe in future versions schiit can add something around the tubes that will keep them from moving, instead of users doing that them self. Maybe like a plastic clip that re-moveable that keeps the tube from moving during use. Unless they change the whole tube layout to the tubes that stand straight up.  I do have interested in the vali but not if I have to manually find a way to make the ringer stop.

there is no solution to completly remove the ringing, the inside of the tube rings, you can eliminate maybe 90% of the reponse to external vibrations in the internals but there's still a chance it's going to ring

and again theres cost yea they could use a quieter tube but at what cost, Jason explained they did the best they could with the design... and again for $120 is sounds wonderful! and tubes should be allowed to warm up before you listen to them, so i usually turn the amp on, plug in my cans then go get a glass of water or something, by the time i'm back 4-5 mins the ringing has stopped [my vali takes about 30 or seconds to stop] and the tubes are some what warm. 

Granted it's not ideal but, for the price... you can't expect perfection, and for the price... it sounds SUPER. So :3 I'm happy with it 

also good post on using stero taps with headphones, the Vali should drive the HE 400 nciely :D 

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,899 of 4,971
I'm really in intersection point between Vali and LD mk II.
+ Vali is build quality and wide ohms accepting range of hphones, US made
+ LD mk II is preamp mode, tube swapping.

price is the same so please help choosing for Grado SR60i

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,900 of 4,971
Maybe in future versions schiit can add something around the tubes that will keep them from moving, instead of users doing that them self. Maybe like a plastic clip that re-moveable that keeps the tube from moving during use. Unless they change the whole tube layout to the tubes that stand straight up.  I do have interested in the vali but not if I have to manually find a way to make the ringer stop.

You could pour resin inside of Vali and fill every crevice and solidify the entire inside and it will still ring. It's the filament INSIDE of the tube that's ringing and it will always cause ringing no matter how much you damp the outside. You might cut down on the ringing but you will NEVER eliminate it unless you somehow find a way to access the inside of the tube, stabilize the filaments, and vacuum seal it again. It is what it is.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,901 of 4,971
I'm not so sure if covering too much surface of the tube is such a good idea. It is possible that this might interfere with the tube's ability to dissipate excess heat and may either shorten the tube's life or compromise its performance. Perhaps this is something to investigate rather than just roll the dice and see what happens. At least these tubes are not expensive, however, they are not on sockets and if one cannot solder it'll require a round trip to the land of Schiit or a visit to a local repair shop.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #2,902 of 4,971
I'm really in intersection point between Vali and LD mk II.
+ Vali is build quality and wide ohms accepting range of hphones, US made
+ LD mk II is preamp mode, tube swapping.

price is the same so please help choosing for Grado SR60i

If your cans are of low impedance and need some power thie MKII can only deliver 100 mW at 32 Ohms and the Vali can kick out 650 mW at 32 Ohms. You might want to take look into the LIttle Dot I which is a hybrid and can deliver 800 mW at 32 Ohms..
.......I just looked up the sensitivity of the Grados and they can deliver 98 db at 1 mW which is 116 db at 64 mW or 119 db at 128 mW, so you should be fine. If you decide on some orthos, e.g., HE-500s or like,  and got the MKII then you'll be out of luck. Something to keep in mind.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #2,903 of 4,971
Really, more microphonics talk? Perhaps it's time for a new thread.

There is page after page discussing this and it has been explained, summarized and beat to death. There is no solution nor is there likely to be. Schiit has stated there will always be some microphonics and that those microphonics are internal to the tube. Early units MAY have had more ringing than later units. Basically luck of the draw. Nothing you do externally will significantly reduce what your get in your unit with the exception of pressing your tubes back on the adhesive IF they have pulled away (read the thread for how to). You have to open the unit to do so and it will not effect the warranty per Schiit. Schiit began bending the lead wires to help alleviate the tubes detaching some time ago and it seems to have helped. In my #629 unit the ringing subsides in < 30 seconds and I have not done a thing to it. Not an issue as I suspect is the experience of the vast majority.

So, how 'bout that Vali,? Sounds great with my HD600s. Not as much with my Grado PS500s but I haven't given them a fair shake as I'm have a hard time taking the SENNs off my head lately.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,904 of 4,971
If your cans are of low impedance and need some power thie MKII can only deliver 100 mW at 32 Ohms and the Vali can kick out 650 mW at 32 Ohms. You might want to take look into the LIttle Dot I which is a hybrid and can deliver 800 mW at 32 Ohms..
.......I just looked up the sensitivity of the Grados and they can deliver 98 db at 1 mW which is 116 db at 64 mW or 119 db at 128 mW, so you should be fine. If you decide on some orthos, e.g., HE-500s or like,  and got the MKII then you'll be out of luck. Something to keep in mind.

Good point. Ive seen the Ld iii used on head fi for around 160 or so n thats with shipping. my Vali was 140 shipped

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,905 of 4,971
This thread is about the Vali. Microphonics related to the tubes being mounted the way they are, and the casing are issues. If it's about the Vali, it belongs here.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,906 of 4,971
You could pour resin inside of Vali and fill every crevice and solidify the entire inside and it will still ring. It's the filament INSIDE of the tube that's ringing and it will always cause ringing no matter how much you damp the outside. You might cut down on the ringing but you will NEVER eliminate it unless you somehow find a way to access the inside of the tube, stabilize the filaments, and vacuum seal it again. It is what it is.

Thank you. I've been saying this over and over. I'm not sure why the Vali's microphonics keeps being revisted and misunderstood over and over.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,907 of 4,971
I'm also weary of the lengthy discussions of tube microphonics in the Vali. Honestly people, it's a little quirk; nothing more. I would much prefer a discussion about how the Vali sounds with various headphones, and versus other Schiit amps. One would think that would be the meat of this thread but sadly, as so often happens on forums – where any and all can say whatever they want as often as they want – no. Sigh… I wasted far less time when there was such a thing as editors and gatekeepers.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2,910 of 4,971
OK, I'll chime in and give my two cents about the Vali's sound. First some background...
I just parted out most of my semi-high-buck 2.2 channel speaker system and went to
headphone listening full-time. I've had a pair of HD590's for 8-9 years, but used them sparingly until a couple months ago when I started listening to them when my wife and kids grew tired of hearing loud music when doing homework, watching TV, pretty much all the time. So I found a package deal from Craigslist that included a pair of HD600's and a Vali. I just ordered an Uber Bifrost, but for now I'm using a Peachtree Nova as my DAC along with a Mac mini, iUSB and a V-Link 192. The Vali and HD600 combo just makes me smile. I love when music takes me to another place, and this does it every time for me. That's something my speaker system only did a couple times in 2 years. Maybe the best part, is that I'll just sit and listen to an entire album without wanting to skip tracks or check my Facebook/Twitter/E-Mail. I originally wanted to get a Bottlehead Crack, and I still probably will, but I'm I absolutely no rush with an inexpensive amp that sounds this good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back