NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Aug 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4,831 of 4,971
Currently using a Modi2U/Magni2U stack and loving it.  I plan on buying an HD650 as soon as they go on sale again, and they apparently sound really good with tube amps.

How does the Vali compare with the Magni2U and with the HD650.  Or would I be better off looking at different tube amps, maybe saving up for awhile longer and get something really nice, like a BH Crack or something.

With close but not identical equipment:
I used an HD600 with the original Magni, then switched to the Vali. Much much prefer the Vali. Magni worked perfectly and all, but I am happier with the Vali sound experience overall. Seemed to me to have more sense of depth and naturalness.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #4,833 of 4,971
So for what its worth...... i feel like this process has practically eliminated the annoying hiss sound for me (and hopefully others who experience it)... i Turn the Vali on. Let it sit for about 4-8 min. THEN plug in my K712's. slight ring happens. then just silence....... I have done this process of turning it on twice now and have stellar results. i have heard others say that its better to leave their headphones in and then turn it on, but not for mine! i also have the modi to Vali all plugged in and into the computer before i turn the Vali on as well. doubt that would make a difference though. hopefully this helps someone experiencing issues with the device. i was at my wits end with it.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #4,834 of 4,971
I gotta be honest I don't even hear the hiss now, and I only wait a few seconds. Maybe there's something coming from folks' DACs? 

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #4,835 of 4,971
My Vali has never made a hiss sound ever that I can hear. I've even put my headphones on before turning Vali on.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #4,836 of 4,971
  My Vali has never made a hiss sound ever that I can hear. I've even put my headphones on before turning Vali on.

Same, in the few days I've had it. I don't even unplug my headphones. Flip the switch and a few seconds later boom. Good to go. No hiss I've been able to determine.

All I know is my music became just... lovely again. It took me a few minutes with the K712's to remind myself that I wasn't hearing the audio get "muddy" because the sharp details were gone. It just made the treble spikes less sharp. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,837 of 4,971
You will only hear the noise (hiss) if your headphones or IEMs are sensitive. My HD600's and HE-500's are not sensitive so I hear none, however, I have IEMs that are sensitive enough to hear the noise.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,838 of 4,971
I am starting to think that Vali is not a good match for HD650s. It might just be my untrained ears but I am now sure that I do not like what I am hearing. Bass sounds too uncontrolled / boomy and a bit too much in quantity to me. Then again, I am not fond of bass as much as most of the people here, but as a bass player in my earlier youth I do appreciate it when the quantity is right. But seems like for now I will be using my E10k, which might sound ridiculous but true 
confused.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,839 of 4,971

Same, in the few days I've had it. I don't even unplug my headphones. Flip the switch and a few seconds later boom. Good to go. No hiss I've been able to determine.

All I know is my music became just... lovely again. It took me a few minutes with the K712's to remind myself that I wasn't hearing the audio get "muddy" because the sharp details were gone. It just made the treble spikes less sharp. 

Well i am jealous..... because i dont know why its so hit or miss with my K712's...

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4,840 of 4,971
  Well i am jealous..... because i dont know why its so hit or miss with my K712's...

Lotta factors, man. What's going into the Vali? Where's the music coming from? When you say hit or miss, what sounds bad when it's a miss?

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #4,842 of 4,971
I don't believe the topic ever came up but I've noticed many use DC battery power supply to improve their phono preamps like ART djpre ii. I was wondering if plugging the Vali to an DC battery supply will improve the sound. 

I guess bad idea...

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #4,843 of 4,971
  I don't believe the topic ever came up but I've noticed many use DC battery power supply to improve their phono preamps like ART djpre ii. I was wondering if plugging the Vali to an DC battery supply will improve the sound. 

I guess bad idea...

It needs AC to get split supply and generate 60+ volts for tubes

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #4,845 of 4,971
I've seen TONS of electronics get wrecked by using the wrong power supply. I blew out (no joke) a microphone, keyboard, mouse, AND webcam after plugging the wrong power cord into a USB hub. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back