NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 18, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4,456 of 4,971
Less then 12 o'clock for sure. In the beginning the amp was really not much louder. I feel it's getting louder by the day. Now i use to hear at 9 or 10 o'clock. Depends on the song of course. 

I know what you mean, I'm listening at much lower levels at the moment and they seem plenty loud enough. It's just a bit too tempting sometimes to crank it up and get the toe tapping!

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #4,457 of 4,971
I know what you mean, I'm listening at much lower levels at the moment and they seem plenty loud enough. It's just a bit too tempting sometimes to crank it up and get the toe tapping!

Is that what Jimi Hendrix meant when he sang,
"I have a humming bird and it hums so loud
You think you were losing your mind"

Loud sounds better because the way we hear, until it gets too loud.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #4,458 of 4,971

No, he was complaining about a ground loop in his Hi-Fi.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #4,459 of 4,971
"[COLOR=292929]I have a humming bird and it hums so loud[/COLOR][COLOR=292929]
[/COLOR][COLOR=292929]You think you were losing your mind[/COLOR]"

It's funny you mention Jimi because its often on older tracks like Hendrix that I end up reaching for the dial. They just sound so much quieter than modern recordings. Still with a bit of volume they put modern mastering to shame.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #4,460 of 4,971

No, he was complaining about a ground loop in his Hi-Fi.

You saying his Schiit was in a loop?

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #4,462 of 4,971
It's funny you mention Jimi because its often on older tracks like Hendrix that I end up reaching for the dial. They just sound so much quieter than modern recordings. Still with a bit of volume they put modern mastering to shame.

A lot of his stuff has hum because he uses a Stratocaster which has single coil pickups that don't cancel 60 Hz (50 Hz for Europe) and he turns it up.
How about Voodoo Chile Slight Return or Hear my Train 'Comin.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #4,464 of 4,971
A lot of his stuff has hum because he uses a Stratocaster which has single coil pickups that don't cancel 60 Hz (50 Hz for Europe) and he turns it up.
How about Voodoo Chile Slight Return or Hear my Train 'Comin.

I love the groove on hear my train comin' and little wing and all along the watchtower are personal faves. I think it was after watching Withnail and I that really made the track for me.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #4,465 of 4,971
I love the groove on hear my train comin' and little wing and all along the watchtower are personal faves. I think it was after watching Withnail and I that really made the track for me.

OK, my last OT on this. Try Pali Gap, Fusion Jazz ahead of its time. OK, everyone listen to this youtube using your Vali to keep this on topic. Link below, it's good.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #4,467 of 4,971
  OK, my last OT on this. Try Pali Gap, Fusion Jazz ahead of its time. OK, everyone listen to this youtube using your Vali to keep this on topic. Link below, it's good.

Excellent choice 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #4,468 of 4,971
Anyone here has an idea how to swap the tubes of the Vali? I know Schiit says they will replace them for 20$, but from where I am from shipping will be a real hassle and expensive.

The tubes can be acquired really cheap over eBay. So was thinking if its not too hard can replace them myself when need be. (In 5-7 years)
tongue.gif

see here  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/3900#post_10532302
bit more work, but then, you can change tube in minute...

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,469 of 4,971
... What volume are you listening at? When I first got mine I got a bit carried away and listened for far too long far too loud. Afterwards I had a bit of tinnitus as a result. Now I dont listen with the volume pot past about 10 O'clock and this hasn't recurred. I was probably pushing nearer 3 O'clock when I experienced this.

Lawrecedent, sorry for the lagging response, just catching up ... Just curious, what headphones you ran with the Vali's volume control at 3 O'clock?  With my DT-150s (250 ohm, 97 dB SPL @ 1mW) and DT-250s (250 ohm, 100 dB SPL @ 1mW) I could barely get my Vali's control off of fully counter-clockwise before reaching uncomfortable loudness.  I have to use foobar2k to apply software volume,  -9 dB to -12 dB for well-mastered material, -15 dB to -18 dB for highly compressed/loudness-war stuff, just to have the Vali's control at 9 O'clock.  I can't imagine getting to 10 O'clock, much less 3 without being in pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back