New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Aug 18, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #136 of 208
I wish I wasn't so backed up on reviews or I would give them a proper review now instead of later. In a nutshell, they refined everything about the M100 OG. If you liked the overblown bass and treble that could have a bit too much bite at times, the Master isn't your cup of tea. The bass on the Master doesn't bleed into the mids, it is cleaner and has greater detail, when I was walking yesterday I was listening to Infected Mushroom, just to listen for that very reason. Sorry, I wrote this as a follow up yesterday, just never sent it.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #137 of 208
Hey guys I’m new here. In fact, I registered on this forum specifically to ask a few questions regarding this product, since I’m on the verge of buying one.

To start with, how are the earpads exactly? From what I’ve read so far, it is basically a slightly smaller version of the XL earpads. Can I assume that it is the same quality, but just slightly smaller? So is it safe to say that it is slightly less comfortable then the XL earpads? I wear glasses, so I’m concern about any discomfort I may feel after wearing them for longer periods of time. If the XL pads ensures more comfort, I may get it, but not if it compromises with the quality.

Now something that I’ve noticed with the original M-100s are that the headband is covered in pleather. Within 2 to 3 years, most owners have stated that it will starts to crack and peel off. From what I understand, the Master version is also made of this same material, even the underside now is made of pleather, so it may be more affected in the test of time. So I can expect the same quality pleather is being used in the Master version right? Thus, I can expect it to also start to peel off within 2-3 years?

I’d like to keep the headphone in mint condition, since it will stay with me for a long time to come. So I’ve thought of using the “TriNova Vinyl And Faux Leather Cleaner & Conditioner” on the headband and earpads once a month. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Do you think it will damage any part of the headphones (internal or otherwise) in any way? I live in an especially humid country, so I don’t mind taking steps like these to ensure that my headphone will stay in good condition for the coming years.

Lastly, how are those plastic clips on the Master version? Some has experienced cracks in them on the M-100 version, so is the Master version of the same quality? Can I expect the Master’s version to also crack after a period of time? If so, how can I avoid it?

That’s all the questions for now, sorry for the wall of text! Any response is appreciated. If I do end up getting the headphones, I’ll be happy to post my thoughts on them if you guys want me to so as to contribute to this thread. I should warn you though I am just an average consumer. I’m not an audiophile by any means. All these terms you guys use to describe your experience, while I may be able to search them up, I don’t necessarily understand them. I have never owned a pair of quality headphones, so the Master would be my first. That is to say that regardless of how the headphones are, to me, it will be an incredible experience, as it will be the first premium headphones I would own. So the only feedback I’d be able to provide would probably be along the lines of “It’s incredible!”

P.S. This may be a bit out of topic, but as stated before, I’m new to all this headphone stuff. I plan to just plug it in to my PC and phone. From an average consumer standpoint that is not an audiophile, do you think I will benefit much from getting some extensions to improve my listening experience? Such as the Hidizs Sonata that a user has mentioned before in this thread? Any recommendations, perhaps specifically for Masters, so then it's still within topic ^^? Not looking for anything expensive. Thanks!

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #138 of 208
Hey guys I’m new here. In fact, I registered on this forum specifically to ask a few questions regarding this product, since I’m on the verge of buying one.
P.S. This may be a bit out of topic, but as stated before, I’m new to all this headphone stuff. I plan to just plug it in to my PC and phone. From an average consumer standpoint that is not an audiophile, do you think I will benefit much from getting some extensions to improve my listening experience? Such as the Hidizs Sonata that a user has mentioned before in this thread? Any recommendations, perhaps specifically for Masters, so then it's still within topic ^^? Not looking for anything expensive. Thanks!

Depending on the phone and computer you're using, a Sonata could definitely let you get a little more out of those headphones. I prefer the sonata's output to my Galaxy Note 9's headphone jack, but the note 9 doesn't sound horrible.
Also look into the Venture Electronics Odyssey. I haven't tried it yet, but the cable looks more robust than the Sonata.

As for the long term durability of the headphones, My LP2 started peeling after about 4 years and I would expect the M100 master to do the same, though there is a possibility that it's using a different material. I don't know.

I'd say you're spot on with the earpads. They're a little bigger than the stock M100 and a little smaller than the XL pads. I don't wear glasses, but after getting used to them, the M100 master is comfortable enough to use for more than a few hours.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #139 of 208
Ivory:

Earpads are larger than the prior stock pads, but not as large as the XL pads. I ordered the XL pads with my Master's and am glad I did. I also wear glasses and have no issues with comfort or attaining a quality seal.

Yes, the headband is pleather and not the material like the prior models. I have no idea how it will wear over time. I take good care of my headphones and am curious about this myself.

I use a leather conditioner on my B&W headphones because they are actual leather. V-Moda's are not, so I just wipe them with a damp cloth.

I believe the plastic cups of the Master are the same as the prior models. I also experienced cracks despite taking excellent care of my M-100's and Crossfade Wireless (first gen).

Overall, I really like them and I pair them with a Dragonfly Black and listen to Tidal lossless files. They look great, are built well, sound good, and are comfortable. The one drawback I'll say is that they don't block out external noise worth a darn (for passive headphones). I'd also highly recommend that you get a Dragonfly with these and not just plug your phones into your phone or computer (so factor in another $99 for the Black) (or get one used if necessary).

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #140 of 208
Thanks for your impressions. These are now widely available worldwide. I have some unexpected expenses this month but ill probably get them next month. They will need to stack up against my MSR7b. No not really. I like to own multiple headphones for different moods and needs.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #142 of 208
vmoda makes all sorts of claims on their site that the m-100's dont have muddy bass that affects the mids but i had a pair of them (NOT MASTER) and they had too much bass enhancement for me. i can only listen to neutral headphones because any bass enactment gives me headaches. i had to sell my m-100's. im curious if the new master version has a more neutral sound.

also their metal contruction with cliq fold hinge far suprasses any other headphone, the only weakness is it does add weight to the head.

also after a short time of owning my m100's one side stopped working. it seems alot of people online had the same problem. but vmoda warranty was excellent and fixed them quickly for free.

it was during this warranty that i puchased a pair of sony h.ear on wired headphones on sale for half price and ended up selling the m100's when i got them back becasue the sony h.ear on had a neutral sound (not bass heavy like the m100). i can listen to the h.ear on headphones for hours with no headaches. and they still have good enough bass.

bass enhanced headphones are stupid i think. all headphones should be neutral and any enhancements should be done on the EQ

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #143 of 208
vmoda makes all sorts of claims on their site that the m-100's dont have muddy bass that affects the mids but i had a pair of them (NOT MASTER) and they had too much bass enhancement for me. i can only listen to neutral headphones because any bass enactment gives me headaches. i had to sell my m-100's. im curious if the new master version has a more neutral sound.

also their metal contruction with cliq fold hinge far suprasses any other headphone, the only weakness is it does add weight to the head.

also after a short time of owning my m100's one side stopped working. it seems alot of people online had the same problem. but vmoda warranty was excellent and fixed them quickly for free.

it was during this warranty that i puchased a pair of sony h.ear on wired headphones on sale for half price and ended up selling the m100's when i got them back becasue the sony h.ear on had a neutral sound (not bass heavy like the m100). i can listen to the h.ear on headphones for hours with no headaches. and they still have good enough bass.

bass enhanced headphones are stupid i think. all headphones should be neutral and any enhancements should be done on the EQ

They're not for everyone, but I'd suggest trying a pair of you can. I believe v Moda has a return policy if you end up not liking them.

And I personally love that there's so much variety out there. Just imagine how boring this hobby would be if everything sounded the same.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #144 of 208
They're not for everyone, but I'd suggest trying a pair of you can. I believe v Moda has a return policy if you end up not liking them.

And I personally love that there's so much variety out there. Just imagine how boring this hobby would be if everything sounded the same.

ya but the problem with all these headphones with artificially enhanced bass which are a fad right now is that it creates a minefield for me or anyone like me that wants proper sound reproduction. i have to do hours of extra research trying to find out if a certain model i want has enhanced bass or not. and many places do not take returns on headphones for hygiene reasons

enhancing the bass in the hardware is just as stupid as brickwalling music in the mastering. none of those things should be hard wired. they should be done by the user on the software level

if someone wants enhanced bass they can raise the EQ. i someone wants more loudness they can raise the volume.

these enhanced bass headphones are catering to ignorant young poeple who are listneing to nothing but pop and who dont know how to use an EQ

but even if someone is listening to nothing but pop and electronic the default bass levels should be decided by the artists and engineers mixing and mastering the track. even using EQ is a distortion of what the artist wants you to hear.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #146 of 208
ya but the problem with all these headphones with artificially enhanced bass which are a fad right now is that it creates a minefield for me or anyone like me that wants proper sound reproduction. i have to do hours of extra research trying to find out if a certain model i want has enhanced bass or not. and many places do not take returns on headphones for hygiene reasons

enhancing the bass in the hardware is just as stupid as brickwalling music in the mastering. none of those things should be hard wired. they should be done by the user on the software level

if someone wants enhanced bass they can raise the EQ. i someone wants more loudness they can raise the volume.

these enhanced bass headphones are catering to ignorant young poeple who are listneing to nothing but pop and who dont know how to use an EQ

but even if someone is listening to nothing but pop and electronic the default bass levels should be decided by the artists and engineers mixing and mastering the track. even using EQ is a distortion of what the artist wants you to hear.
How can you diss a headphone you haven't heard? Oh the wonders of Head-Fi.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #147 of 208
How can you diss a headphone you haven't heard? Oh the wonders of Head-Fi.

I used to own a pair of v-moda m-100. I just havn't heard the new Master version, and am curious if they still have the enhanced bass like the regular version has (which is why i sold them). Or if they gave them a more neutral sound which I want.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #148 of 208
I used to own a pair of v-moda m-100. I just havn't heard the new Master version, and am curious if they still have the enhanced bass like the regular version has (which is why i sold them). Or if they gave them a more neutral sound which I want.
I loathed the M100, hated the bloated bass. The last two offerings from V-Moda have been much more balanced. The CF2W and the Master are the most balanced. I think you would be surprised. They are still V shaped but it is no where near as intense as prior. There is more bloat in the Master than the CF2W.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #149 of 208
I loathed the M100, hated the bloated bass. The last two offerings from V-Moda have been much more balanced. The CF2W and the Master are the most balanced. I think you would be surprised. They are still V shaped but it is no where near as intense as prior. There is more bloat in the Master than the CF2W.

originally didnt the crossfade have the most extra bass, and the m100 was said to be the more neutral of the two? and now your saying its become the opposite? despite that both are more neutral then before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back