New V Moda Crossfade LP2??
Nov 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
looks really good, probably sounds really good (just look at the M/V80), I've always liked V Moda.

But this time not 'Jude Approved'

http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp2-limited-edition-matte-black/

hmmm.....

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 124
Hmm looks interesting, they talk about dual diaphragm 50mm drivers What? Also providing a frequency response graph which looks really good to me (basshead perspective). W00t pretty much linear response down to 10Hz and the frequency graph has like nearly the optimal shape for me I think. (slight bump in the mids, neutral highs, and as even as possible boosted bass response in the whole range) Might need to bite on this one.

Basicly looks very similar to XB500 with more forward and even mids and especially highs.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 124

Quote:
maybe, it will have the same sound signature as the LP, but better sound quality

Well I doubt the original had that kind of mids/highrange, especially highs were commented by lots of people being very recessed, doesn't look recessed at all here, only a bit rolled off at the very high frequencies we barely can hear and past that which is a rather irrelevant.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 124
Funny they cost only 145 € for us europe guys, quite a difference compared to $199. Usually street prices are nearly / about the same in europe as US in direct price figures (not converted price). Amazon.co.uk lists them for £140 which is like expensier than buying from V-Modas site, that's pretty unusual. Might have to order directly from V-Moda then (even better). :) 

EDIT: OMG guys check this statement: 

V-MODA is so confident the LP2 is a superior headphone, it even offers an unrivaled 60-day test drive guarantee.

:D That's it I'm buying a pair.

EDIT2: And ordered! This must have been the fastest/easiest purchase decision I've ever done, I came here, I saw the product and didn't even think about it before ordering even if there's no reviews around haha.

It has all the points I'm looking for:

- Durability (they provided a video where they threw it around lots of times on a concrete floor and the headband you could bend in all possible ways without snapping)
- Bass port/vented design (from my experience helps with bass & soundstage what V-Moda also markets it like)
- Comfortability (memory foam, oh yea, probably my my favorite pad material as I'm not a huge velour fan)
- Big evenly boosted bass in the whole bass range
- As forward mids as possible (looks to have up to ~5 dB or so boost over highs) and neutral highrange (provided the frequency graph is accurate)
- As good isolation as possible to go with a vented design
- I kind of like the design, stylish but not TOO stylish.

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 124
Heya,

Cool man, let us know how it is. I didn't like the Crossfade LP which I got, the M80 was such a superior sound to it, but I don't like on-ear at all. A full size version of the M80 would be an ungodly nice headphone I'm sure. So if the LP2 is actually that, I would say $200 is a ridiculous steal for the quality you get. So I hope it turns out to be that, I'll have to get one too. My problem with the LP was that it's mids & highs were recessed and there felt like there was a weird spike in treble that made it sound shrilly and harsh, and not a warm sound, kind of like how the D1100 sounded to me, just not good, bassy, but the rest of it just suffered. So if the LP2 has a more smooth sound, like the M80, oh man, this could be quite a headphone. Vmoda is growing up fast.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 124
Well if it sounds anything like that frequency response graph I'm very confident as I usually EQ my headphones to have about that kind of curve. I see a slight bump at exactly around 8kHz (~5dB) which I'll probably have to tame down slightly and possibly boosting 16kHz and 2kHz and 4kHz just a tiny bit and I should be set.

I don't either like on-ear headphones and I've stayed away from LP1 cuz of the reviews of more audiophile people but I'm quite confident that this is not the same as LP1 in sound.

EDIT: I wonder how LP² pairs with ZO² :)

EDIT2: From Facebook: 

LP2 is slightly refined in the mids/highs -fine tuned like a remaster. it's a rev though, not an all new sound signature and limited edition color/finish. I'll post FREQUENCY responses of LP vs LP2 soon

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 124
I got the impression, especially given that they are the same price, that these are just a limited edition matte black color Crossfade LP. It will be interesting to see if they are in fact different SQ wise. I just got a pair of Phantom Chrome Crossfade LPs that I like quite a bit.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 124

Quote:
Heya,

Cool man, let us know how it is. I didn't like the Crossfade LP which I got, the M80 was such a superior sound to it, but I don't like on-ear at all. A full size version of the M80 would be an ungodly nice headphone I'm sure. So if the LP2 is actually that, I would say $200 is a ridiculous steal for the quality you get. So I hope it turns out to be that, I'll have to get one too. My problem with the LP was that it's mids & highs were recessed and there felt like there was a weird spike in treble that made it sound shrilly and harsh, and not a warm sound, kind of like how the D1100 sounded to me, just not good, bassy, but the rest of it just suffered. So if the LP2 has a more smooth sound, like the M80, oh man, this could be quite a headphone. Vmoda is growing up fast.

Very best,

It's NOT M80 sound, these are for serious bassheads. It says on their Facebook that the LP2 has a different sound signature compared to M80 too.

I wonder what headphone those 2 grey curves on the graph corresponds to, the $349 headphone which I suppose is the darker grey curve I think looks suspiciously much like D2000's curve. I wonder if the light grey curve is LP1's curve though... if that's the case the LP2 would have better bass extension than LP1 (amazingly good, beating or about par on XB500) and has a little more balanced highs and mids.

It even looks possibly like being TOO bassy, I mean if we put 100dB as the normalized / zero level the bass stretches as a 15dB boost (115dB) at ~15Hz to ~50Hz but from 60 ~ 170Hz we're talking about like 3dB higher boost, ie ~18dB+ boost (118dB!). Man these will punch like mad, possibly too much even for a serious basshead. From the graph IF it's accurate this could  be the bassiest measured headphone so far... well to be honest it's difficult to say since XB500 got a lot more recessed highs and a huge dip in the upper mids at 3.5kHz so that might even up the bass boost difference quite a bit, but yea at least they will be bassy that's for sure... it will be interesting to find out and compare especially with XB500 since they got somewhat similar curve but LP2 looks to have more balanced mids/highs.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 124

Quote:

It's NOT M80 sound, these are for serious bassheads. It says on their Facebook that the LP2 has a different sound signature compared to M80 too.

I wonder what headphone those 2 grey curves on the graph corresponds to, the $349 headphone which I suppose is the darker grey curve I think looks suspiciously much like D2000's curve. I wonder if the light grey curve is LP1's curve though... if that's the case the LP2 would have better bass extension than LP1 (amazingly good, beating or about par on XB500) and has a little more balanced highs and mids.

It even looks possibly like being TOO bassy, I mean if we put 100dB as the normalized / zero level the bass stretches as a 15dB boost (115dB) at ~15Hz to ~50Hz but from 60 ~ 170Hz we're talking about like 3dB higher boost, ie ~18dB+ boost (118dB!). Man these will punch like mad, possibly too much even for a serious basshead. From the graph IF it's accurate this could  be the bassiest measured headphone so far... well to be honest it's difficult to say since XB500 got a lot more recessed highs and a huge dip in the upper mids at 3.5kHz so that might even up the bass boost difference quite a bit, but yea at least they will be bassy that's for sure... it will be interesting to find out and compare especially with XB500 since they got somewhat similar curve but LP2 looks to have more balanced mids/highs.

Sad face.

I was really wishing for a fullsize M80. Their idea of "lively" treble is worrying, because I definitely didn't like it on the LP (reminded me a lot of the D1100).

I'll probably still get one, just to try it, but I guess the idea of the fullsize M80 is already shot down. Alas. Not terribly excited about a $200 headphone that is a bass monster if the mids & treble are really not much better (or are worse) than a lot of headphones in that range. Makes me wonder if this headphone will basically be competing directly with the $150~200 league "bassy" headphones, or if it can reach up to something like a D5000 (or surpass it?) and take on the PRO900 (or surpass it too?) and such.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 124

Quote:
Fullsize M-80 = M-100. Coming out in January or February I believe. I'm definitely psyched. 

That's what I'm looking for. I think I'll wait for Jan/Feb then and see what rolls out, if the LP2 is just an LP. The M80 has the sound I'd like in a full sized closed back and all its features (cords, material, etc) are great. Good rugged phone for travel for me. I'll look forward to this M-100.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 124

Quote:
Fullsize M-80 = M-100. Coming out in January or February I believe. I'm definitely psyched. 

So M100 is full size... thought it would be just another portable on-ear...

So what's the bass response in M-80 like? Any frequency response graphs? Kinda regret getting LP2 in case M100 would be a better over-the ear headphone (EDIT: well V-Moda has 60-day return garantuee so I suppose I'm fine or I can just get both!). I'm a basshead tho so it would still have to deliver on that front.

EDIT: OK V-Moda had one on their site for M-80:

OK that's pretty different but the bass extension still looks very nice and bass quantity quite adequate (I think 10dB would be enough to satisfy me even though I don't find XB500 too bassy either with a 15dB boost, it's got probs with mids and highs though), it perhaps rolls off in the mid/upper bass region a bit too quick for my taste (similar to XB700 and I thought it lacked a bit punch for my taste so) and the dip around 600Hz looks worrying as I like a decent amount forwardness in this area to get a "thick" midrange so I think for me personally LP2 might be a better fit still though. I bet this M-80 is probably similarly bassy as HTF600 or so but it has a lot better extension (actually one of the best out there) and is not as "punchy" (since M-80 focuses on <100Hz range and HTF600 around 100Hz), would this be an accurate description? This M-80 also reminds me a lot of XB700's curve with a less boosted subbass region but with more forward mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back