New user looking for recomendations
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Max585t

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-fi. New User Max here. I am thinking about buying a pair of Grados but I'm kinda worried that I'm not going to like the sound. I love the look of Grados so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation on aftermarket drivers or mods that could help the sound of the cans.
artists that I listen to are Rush, Jack White, Royal Blood, Justice, Daft punk, Rise Against, and Sublime.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 14
I'd say get a pair on Amazon and return if you don't like it. Going so far as to change the drivers because you don't like how they sound is a bit extreme just to have the nice looks. What is your budget? There are a few companies that make attractive headphones that might sound good to you

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 14
I should have em listed in my signature under my posts: LCD2 (beautiful looking headphone and is hard to dislike the sound of it), HD650, HD598, and Momentum 2. I'm currently borrowing the HD700 and HD800

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm currently using Shure se215s for going to class etc and akg k340 electrostat-dynamic headphones at my desk but I want a pair of headphones that sound good and are portable. I asked about driver replacements cause I really like the idea of modding things to make them perfect. Id say my budget is as cheap as possible but no more than 200usd

(sorry if my responce is a little scattered)

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Sounds like you need a closed back circumaural (for portability) that renders fast transients well, based on what you listen to. Definitely not a Grado. Personally, I'd avoid Grado. They hurt like hell on my ears and was unimpressed with the sound, but that's me.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 14
I should have em listed in my signature under my posts: LCD2 (beautiful looking headphone and is hard to dislike the sound of it), HD650, HD598, and Momentum 2. I'm currently borrowing the HD700 and HD800
How do you like the HD800? I am always so close to buying a pair, but it's never happened.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 14
How do you like the HD800? I am always so close to buying a pair, but it's never happened.
I love the 800! I think I must be weird because I notice zero harshness, nor is the treble annoying at all. It has about the same level of detail as the lcd2, but way more neutral. If I could have 2 cans, it'd be the 800 and the lcd2 hands down. It's also pretty comfy but over long periods, the headband gets annoying because all the weight seems to be focused towards the center of the band. My friend is getting the S model so I'm excited to see how I like that one. If all the changed is the "treble spike" which I've never noticed, then the 800 is plenty for me

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 14
I love the 800! I think I must be weird because I notice zero harshness, nor is the treble annoying at all. It has about the same level of detail as the lcd2, but way more neutral. If I could have 2 cans, it'd be the 800 and the lcd2 hands down. It's also pretty comfy but over long periods, the headband gets annoying because all the weight seems to be focused towards the center of the band. My friend is getting the S model so I'm excited to see how I like that one. If all the changed is the "treble spike" which I've never noticed, then the 800 is plenty for me
Right! And the 800 can be had pretty cheap now too. "Treble spike" is never an issue for me at 47 years old and I've always wanted something ultra revealing. Someday...

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 14
I'm currently using Shure se215s for going to class etc and akg k340 electrostat-dynamic headphones at my desk but I want a pair of headphones that sound good and are portable. I asked about driver replacements cause I really like the idea of modding things to make them perfect. Id say my budget is as cheap as possible but no more than 200usd

(sorry if my responce is a little scattered)

An AKG K340,and youre new to Head-Fi?!?....Nice! If you like the brightness of the K340 then a Grado will be no problem for you.

To answer your question about modding,you can look into various threads about members using Sennheiser drivers, Magnum Drivers, Nhoord drivers ....among others. I had a pair of Magnum Grados that I sold recently,and while it sounded good,I wouldnt necessarily say it was better,rather it was different than a Grado.

I like em for rock,blues and folk,but they can be a bit bright,uncomfortable on the ear and have essentially zero sub bass.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 14
An AKG K340,and youre new to Head-Fi?!?....Nice! If you like the brightness of the K340 then a Grado will be no problem for you.

Hahaha I know I should have joined a long time ago. I actually spent most of my summer modding them. I do like the way they sound... when they are driven properly. I do have to add that I am not a fan of the Sennheiser sound.

To answer your question about modding,you can look into various threads about members using Sennheiser drivers, Magnum Drivers, Nhoord drivers ....among others.

I've been looking at those, I was mostly just asking if anyone had a more solid recommendation.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Hahaha I know I should have joined a long time ago. I actually spent most of my summer modding them. I do like the way they sound... when they are driven properly. I do have to add that I am not a fan of the Sennheiser sound.

I've been looking at those, I was mostly just asking if anyone had a more solid recommendation.

well...hmmm...The K340 is the absolute brightest headphone Ive ever heard,not to mention its very bass lite,when it chooses to be....Its a weird headphone.I keep mine just for collectability sake,and rarely use it,and when I do i absolutely need my OTL and the warmest tube set I own,but if you like the way it sounds then you might find the Grados a bit on the warm side,comparatively speaking.

You might also like a Beyer closed back headphone...bright,but not K340 bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back