New Ultrasone HFI-2400
Oct 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #31 of 41
In a way it does. You see, I wanted a good set of full size cans with removeable cables, that could be used portably with or w/o an amp, and a short cable connected to my ipod. Or I could use it at home using a higher quality full length cable. The Pro 750 fits this need, as does the Pro2500. Yes they sound much better with an amp ( my LD Mk III or portable LD mk I+ ) but they can produce satisfying sound w/o one as well.
When I heard about the new HFI 2400, I was hoping it was a little easier to drive than the HFI 2200. It isn't it seems, so I will continue with my plan to use the Pro 2500. I can share all cables with its closed brother the Pro 750.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #32 of 41
I was hoping it would have very high sensitivity so it could work out of an ipod too
tongue.gif
. I decided to just order an ultrasone zino and sometime in the future I'll make a short cable for my modified to hell pro 900 to use with an mp3 player+amp.

What do you guys think of the looks? I think graphicism should be the designer for ultrasone.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They might be closed.....but if you're looking for closed Ultrasones, all the other models are...

yea which of the top ultrasone models are clsoed?

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had terrible experience with the closed Ultrasone cans. Do the open cans still have that weird tonality present in the closed models?

what is your music style you listen too.. do you like flat neutral phones?

youve got me concerned because i cant tolerate very open because of isolation and noisy neighbor issues,, what was your experience and which model did u try?

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is your music style you listen too.. do you like flat neutral phones?

youve got me concerned because i cant tolerate very open because of isolation and noisy neighbor issues,, what was your experience and which model did u try?

I have heard the Proline 550, 650, 750, HFI-580, 780 and DJ1. I never really like any of them to be honest with. In fact, I think the Ultrasone's sound is not for me.

Flat and neutral are not traits that I will associate with any of the Ultrasones that I've heard so far. Hollow and metallic is more accurate. I can appreciate neutral sound fine but not Ultrasone's definition of "neutral".

If you really need a closed can, I can suggest Audio Technica's ESW9 or Shure's SRH840. Both are really good: SRH840 is more neutral while the ESW9 is more euphonic.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K3cT, You talking about HFI or pro closed headphones? And by weird tonality you mean the metallic tang or hollowness of pro, no, HFI-2200 does not have any of that, but it was less natural than pro 900 when it comes to soundstaging and detail.

Runswithaliens, it's possible, I hope they did upgrade the driver though (I think they did actually, look at the specs and compare to HFI-2200). If I recall correctly they did upgrade the HFI-2200 driver in the middle of production, and the low end they posted changed from 15 to 10. I had the older version.

so am i to understand that ultrasones pro models sound thin and lack bass and have weird metalic sound, adn if so woud the hifi be a better option

was down to hfi780 or the pro 750

and mayb for more bass the hfi 580 and the pro550 cause they have 60mm drivers?

also do th open ultrasone models isolate at all or can u hear right thru them like most?

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you really need a closed can, I can suggest Audio Technica's ESW9 or Shure's SRH840. Both are really good: SRH840 is more neutral while the ESW9 is more euphonic.

the shure's are as bland and flat as a pool table, but from a certain point of view, that's a good thing. ESW9's ... good luck trying to find an authentic pair!

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #38 of 41
The hfi-2200 is warm compared to my pro 900. Occasionally the pro 900 can be excessively metallic or hollow but we should keep in mind they were designed for professional use, not musical enjoyment. And you asked about bass, pro 900 have pretty big bass, good match for some setups with light bass but if the gear you use has heavy or detailed bass you might not like it unless you recable or mod it with cotton. hfi-2200 is more forgiving all across the board, bass always seems unintrusive with various gear I have used it with, but you might not like it if you are a basshead, and also the detail doesn't come close to the detail of the pro 900.

If you've never tried ultrasones I'd suggest you go for the less bassy hfi-680, if it has about the same bass as the hfi-2200 it should satisfy most people unless they really like to feel vibrations.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #40 of 41
For those of you interested in the sound of the HFI2400:

It took such a long time to open up these cans!

By the way, my 3 favorite genres to listen to are classical (especially smaller chamber ensembles), jazz (small combos, especially 1960's), and Brazilian music (e.g. Caetano Veloso, Elis Regina, etc.)

Anyway, the lower end of the sound spectrum was so overwhelming, the mids and highs were recessed into the background ... I was so disappointed with these for the past 5 months. But I always kept on giving it a chance, sometimes leaving them running all night through my Isabellina HPA hooked up to my Macbook with lossless files.

The HFI2400 has finally come to a point where the mids and highs are coming out and the bass is still very present, but in a lush and warming way. Obviously, I listen to these headphones for fun, NOT for accuracy. But some types of music begs for headphones like these. Like Bebel Gilberto's "Tanto Tempo" is really fun (bossa nova, with traditional and electronic orchestrations).

Anyone else have a similar experience with these headphones?

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #41 of 41
I bought these back in October 2011, and they basically sat on a shelf for almost a decade. Last week, I decided to give them a whirl. Absolutely fabulous. What was I thinking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back