New Ultrasone Edition 15
Jan 15, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #136 of 174
I replaced the Focal Stellia with the Edition 15 Veritas. For me, the Edition 15 Veritas is a better match with my headphone rig over the Stellia. The Stellia has too much upper midrange energy for my liking. The Edition 15 Veritas has a better overall balance octave to octave. The S Logic EX works well for me. Also find the Edition 15 Veritas to be quite comfortable for extended listening sessions.

Its a unique sounding and very comfy gear.

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #137 of 174
I replaced the Focal Stellia with the Edition 15 Veritas. For me, the Edition 15 Veritas is a better match with my headphone rig over the Stellia. The Stellia has too much upper midrange energy for my liking. The Edition 15 Veritas has a better overall balance octave to octave. The S Logic EX works well for me. Also find the Edition 15 Veritas to be quite comfortable for extended listening sessions.

This last year, I didn't use my personal Ed15 Veritas so much, as I use mainly now the "perfect" DCA Stealth...
I really enjoyed the Ed15 Veritas, though, I think, it really needs some PEQ adjustments for some frequencies.. Frequency response is globally fine, but some frequencies bands are "rather low" 2k, 6K, 8K and can muffle some voices or instruments...
Then, it's a very good closed headphone, but at 3K€.

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #138 of 174
Does any one here consider the Edition 15 to be their favorite headphone?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #139 of 174

For me it was until the DCA Stealth came out.
The Ed15 Veritas is far easier to be driven (with the WM1A is perfect), and still more compact and convenient to be carried for trips... DCA Stealth is another story with DAPs, as very few can drive properly this headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #140 of 174
Early impression #3 after 75+ hours burning in: (difference since the last time is highlighted)

Bass: Nice punch and impact. It's now more controlled and tighter. Also maybe getting a bit faster as well.
Mid: Great body, warm sound signature but not overly warm. Actually the warmth is getting less. I'm not saying it is clinical or dry. Just the magnitude of warmth became slightly less.
Treble: Extension is better now. Good details but not highly resolving. No harshness, no sibilance. Timbre is more or less correct, but occasionally slightly off depending on tracks.
Sound stage: Wide but not super wide for open back HPs. Sounds more like semi-open.
Imaging: Excellent.

Overall, they are a little laid back and relaxed listening HPs. Not analytical nor clinical at all.

Source: WM1Z balanced
Cable: ALO SXC 8 4.4mm terminated

Quick comparison with Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000: Recently acquired ADX5000 has a bright and wide open sound signature, similar to HD800S but with more matured body. Edition 15 sounds a bit smoother and darker than ADX5000. ADX5000 has better resolution, dynamics, and wider sound stage. Sub-bass goes deeper with ADX5000. Technically, ADX5000 is better in almost all aspects. But there is something with Edition 15, something that keeps attracting me. I don't know exactly what, but Edition 15 is always inviting. I will try to figure it out...
Having many cans here I have settled in on ADX 5000's, D8000 Pros and Rad "0"s.
Interesting to read the ADX comments.
I have not heard any Ultrasones.
Looks very lavish and nice!

Alex

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #141 of 174
At times, yes. It's very easy on the ears, comfortable for long listening sessions, and very musical. They are almost like listening to near field monitors. There are headphones that are more resolving in any one frequency domain, but octave to octave, it's hard to beat the Edition 15 without applying EQ.

One thing with the Edition 15s: They DEMAND a high end playback chain, including the amp. I think some of the complaints with the Edition 15 could be related to the playback chain. Some reviews of the Edition 15 noted with some amps the sound was not great. I'm using a Chord M-Scaler/Hugo-TT2 combination, and the Edition 15 sounds outstanding with this setup. One review made special note of the Chord Hugo-TT2 with the Edition 15. Also tried the Edition 15 with an OTL amp from the Chord, and that is amazing with some recordings.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #142 of 174
I like many folks on head-fi have tried many different headphones with all kinds of gear.
Yes I have favorites but these seem to change with time.
Its hard to call just one can a favorite here..but some do stick out and arent sold.
Most others are gone.

Finding one headphone that rules them all is a noble mission.
But I honestly dont think it perfectly exists.
WIth the wide variety and quality of recordings it makes finding perfection difficult.
When you have that great moment where your not thinking about the stuff you have or can afford and just get lost in the music..
Well then you there!
Enjoy the music!

Alex

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #144 of 174
I like many folks on head-fi have tried many different headphones with all kinds of gear.
Yes I have favorites but these seem to change with time.
Its hard to call just one can a favorite here..but some do stick out and arent sold.
Most others are gone.

WIth the wide variety and quality of recordings it makes finding perfection difficult.
When you have that great moment where your not thinking about the stuff you have or can afford and just get lost in the music..
Well then you there!
Enjoy the music!

Alex

Not much of a headphone listener but I own the original Grado Signature HP1000 (in pristine condition) and I enjoy it once in a while. Is it still revered today by the cognoscentii?

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #146 of 174
I have so many headphones (too many).
My tops are the Utopia OG, L5000, Mysphere 3.1, ED15, R10P, Sonorous X, HD820. Overall I rank them in that order. However they all stay in my collection because they all excel in at least one specific area over all others. For example, when I want warm, relaxing and musical with wide sound stage I use the Ed15 with the Sony DMP-Z1.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #147 of 174
I have so many headphones (too many).
My tops are the Utopia OG, L5000, Mysphere 3.1, ED15, R10P, Sonorous X, HD820. Overall I rank them in that order. However they all stay in my collection because they all excel in at least one specific area over all others. For example, when I want warm, relaxing and musical with wide sound stage I use the Ed15 with the Sony DMP-Z1.
That's an excellent explanation. Pretty close to my experience with the Edition 15's.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #149 of 174
Thanks everyone for the responses. The 15's have been on my wish list for a long time, actually they are now the only headphone left on my wish list. The lack of comments around here had me a bit worried that the 15's had been pushed aside over time. Good to hear they are still being used in peoples rotations and can still be preferred in their respective area. I look forward to getting them eventually.

You are probably right. Once you get up to a certain quality level it seems like everything becomes more about headphone preference instead of ability. That, and variety is the spice of life so it's probably best to have a few headphones to mix things up regardless.

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #150 of 174
Been breaking in the Veritas for the past week. They have definitely opened up sonically. Very happy with the sound from them. They don't sound like one would expect for a closed back cans, in that the frequency response is not muffled or bloated. In fact, they share many of the same sonic qualities of the open back version. The differences between the two were not dramatic at all. The soundstage isn't as wide, the bass is slightly deeper, a bit less air, and a bit more intimate.

The two major areas with the Edition 15s are as follows:
1) The S Logic EX: It either works for the listener, in which case the sound stage is extended, and the frequency response is smooth and extended, or it doesn't, in which case the soundstage is compressed more, and frequency response is not as even. I was able to work out that it is much more likely to work if the listener has a snug fit such that the driver is closer to the ear canal. Once you get it dialed in, it becomes readily apparent and enjoyable.
2) Electronics: The cans are very sensitive to the Electronics (input and amplification). Need a high quality DAC or low level analog input, and a revealing amp. With some amps, can sound rough, etched. With higher quality amps, such as the Chord Hugo-TT2, the results are stunning. Some tube headphone amps can sound downright spooky good.

Hope this explains why some headphone enthusiasts really like them, while others do not. For me, they excel. I find the Veritas to provide a more enjoyable experience than the Focal Stellia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back