New Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro Review
Jun 9, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 203
trose, I'm very glad you are happy with the 5pros, but please do not compare them to others that you have not heard.

They are great canalphones, but they have limitations, as all canalphones do. If they didn't, they wouldnt be selling for $250
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: i posted this picture a while ago

20050503_0006Small.jpg

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
All I can say is this ...

If JoeLongwood loved em, found them intoxicating....

I'm ordering a pair!!!

Please don't do this solely on my say so........these 'phones have some limitations, as I stated. While I may find that I can overlook their deficiences, and enjoy their attributes, you may not be able to do the same. Plus, I have a number of canal 'phones at my disposal to provide different sonics should I so choose, and if I want a different sonic flavor.
As I said, these are not for everybody. If you are seeking transparency and a well extended high end, these are not the 'phones for you. If you want warm, rich midrange with visceral bass, then by all means, go for it.
As always, this is just my opinion based solely on what I hear.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #21 of 203
I would just like to clear the record that yes I am new to the forum and maybe a bit over enthusiastic about my new phones. But I am not an employee of UE in fact I just heard about the company a few weeks ago.

My review stands! I do agree with joewlongwood on his review on the UE's I would say he is right on. I did mention that I changed the eq to JAZZ on my ipod which brought back the shimmering highs that are rolled off.

I noticed in the picture posted that the UE's seem to be sticking out a bit of jmmmmm's ears. Maybe I have strange ears but my UE's sit in my ear much like a custom when properly inserted.

Maybe it's just me but isnt this what forums are for! I dont appeciate people posting that MY opinion is that of a company or anything other than MY opinon. Isnt that why we are all here for to get everyones take on stuff!

Anyway I will try the E4's as soon as I get the chance!

And yes I will then post yet another OPINION!

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #22 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Please don't do this solely on my say so........these 'phones have some limitations, as I stated. While I may find that I can overlook their deficiences, and enjoy their attributes, you may not be able to do the same. Plus, I have a number of canal 'phones at my disposal to provide different sonics should I so choose, and if I want a different sonic flavor.
As I said, these are not for everybody. If you are seeking transparency and a well extended high end, these are not the 'phones for you. If you want warm, rich midrange with visceral bass, then by all means, go for it.
As always, this is just my opinion based solely on what I hear.

Here's my point Joe ...

A few people were skeptical of trose49's review because he is so new around here. You, my friend, are a seasoned veteran! Your posts, to me, bring a certain amount of automatic respect (not just because you bought my Sony SACD player a few years ago
icon10.gif
). Anyway, I have been more than a little disappointed with my E3c's due to insufficient bass for gym workouts. Plus I miss the triple flange tips on my ETY's which you can't get for the E3c's.

Cheers.

p.s.
keep jammin trose49. i thought your review was great. glad you love the cans.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #23 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
Here's my point Joe ...

A few people were skeptical of trose49's review because he is so new around here. You, my friend, are a seasoned veteran! Your posts, to me, bring a certain amount of automatic respect (not just because you bought my Sony SACD player a few years ago
icon10.gif
). Anyway, I have been more than a little disappointed with my E3c's due to insufficient bass for gym workouts. Plus I miss the triple flange tips on my ETY's which you can't get for the E3c's.

Cheers.

Thanks for the compliments......at least there's one person out there who takes me fairly seriously.
wink.gif

In any case, a caveat regarding your intended usage is in order. Since these seal at the entrance to the canal, rather than deep inside like Etys, they may not be the best bet for workouts at the gym, as the seal may be broken too easily. I wouldn't know personally, because the last time I was in a gym was when I was in 12th grade in 1965, playing dodgeball.
biggrin.gif

And your comment "I miss the triple flange tips on my Etys which you can't get for the E3c," is a bit puzzling. The Ety tri-flanges fit perfectly on my E3.
I don't use them, though, because I prefer the non-invasive feel of the ultra soft flex tips.
So if you have some tri-flanges around, give 'em a try.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 203
Hey Johnny Thanks!!!

The newbie gets creamed!!! LOL! LOL!!

By the way you can get triple flanges for the e3c's. I boughty a pair from earplugstore.com. They work very well. I still like the foams a bit better but they always need replacing!

The triple flanges really seal your ear up good! So good you have to becareful when removing them or else POP!!!

You will need to cut the end that attaches to the phones a little with a razor because shure made them to long in my opinion. But you will like them

here is the link http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/sheaandmoac.html

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #26 of 203
I think a review garners a little more "respect" when it is objective, and tempers praise with criticism of flaws. That's one thing people found lacking in your review, that's all. By all means, enthusiasm over new gear is not wrong, but people are looking for balanced viewpoints.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #27 of 203
If you just heard from UE a few weeks ago, you must be really new to hi fi gear; no wonder your over enthusiastic review.
Anyway enjoy your Super fis

Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49
I would just like to clear the record that yes I am new to the forum and maybe a bit over enthusiastic about my new phones. But I am not an employee of UE in fact I just heard about the company a few weeks ago.

And yes I will then post yet another OPINION!

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #29 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49
Thanks for the advise. I just didnt find any real flaws so I called it as I saw it.
I will try to be more im partial on my next review!

In all the hoopla surrounding your first post, I forgot to welcome you to Head-Fi, so.............................Welcome to Head-Fi, trose49!
And I'm looking forward to your next review, because you certainly are enthusiuastic.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 203
Nothing wrong with being a newbie and enthusiastic about new phones. Oh wait, we're not talking about me.
600smile.gif

Drat, I thought I'd be done with things with the Shure E4c, but looks like the UEs will make its way to my stable. (Sometimes I want something more casual-on-the go than the Sensaphonics).

I'd also like to say welcome to head-fi as well. As you're starting with what appears to be a very fine $250 canalphone, I'm afraid this will be very bad for your wallet.

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back