NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM
Feb 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #137 of 1,275

As promised, I'm passing on the pricing information of the Plus5 and the other Tralucent IEMs.

Gavin has decided and has set the following prices for the Tralucent IEMs:

1Plus2.1 @ US$1580 (stock cable) / US$2780 (with Uber Too cable)
Ref1 Too @ US$1680 / US$2880
Plus5 @  US$1880 / US$3080

I understand that the IEMs will now come with the same stock cable. BTW, the Uber Too cable (now with rhodium plated connector pins) is US$1880 if purchased separately.

Incidentally, the 1Plus2.1 is a revision of the original 1Plus2.

I am waiting for the pictures of the production units of the Tralucent Plus5.
atsmile.gif

Thanks for the pricing Kiats, rather what we were expecting.

You didn't need to rub salt and add that bit about a new 1Plus2.1 though. 
redface.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #139 of 1,275
Haha! You are most welcome, Musicday and H2OFidelity. Just passing the message. :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #141 of 1,275
Now my friend we need some photos as evidence :)

Indeed! Well, when I get my hands on a pair, will take a photo with the Ref1 Too and 1p2. :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #143 of 1,275
I asked Mr.Gavin a direct question on the AK380 thread, as he is very active there.
Will his website be updated with photos and prices to make it easier for us who wants to purchase?
Hope he will answer.

Gavin is not only the owner of Tralucent, but also very passionate about audio. Though he may be limited to talking about Tralucent due to his MOT status.

Emails are a good way to communicate.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #146 of 1,275
Forget the website bro, tralucent makes some of the best IEMS around. Just send Gavin a message here, he is very responsive and a please to do business with.

I don't think the website has been active for a long time. It's like niche product ordering at its finest. :D

On the other side of earth from any mainstream product out there.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #147 of 1,275
Guys, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

As H20 mentioned, I have MOT status so I'd rather adhere to the rules and be a good boy.

However, I think people who have met me in person knows that I am not proactive with my products, and take a rather low keyed approach, preferring to socialize with them. As I have mentioned before, Tralucent is still very much a hobby for me.............
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #149 of 1,275
Hey guys, How's things? So I was one of the fortunate few who managed to procure some time with Gavin when he was in Singapore and had a few listening sessions, two brief ones and a really long one, with his latest In-Ear Monitor. I figured I would write a little here on how the Plus5 is like in appreciation of his valuable time and patience. Please excuse my lack of proper descriptive audio terminologies as well as some of my caveman descriptions.   

As an aside, I have not been active in the forum for the past year or so. Actually not really active in the hobby on the whole as my audio friends can attest. Personally I have been kind of jaded from the hype and disappointments arising from all the various flavours of the month that pop up, well, every other month. They are usually just side-grades or slightly better in certain aspects, sometimes worse in others, and honestly been a waste of my time. The only facet that "upgrades" has been the price from lower to higher. I can count with a couple of fingers the items that have impressed me the past few months(Lotoo gold is one that I liked, price is quite mad though.) before the week prior. 

I listen to a wide range of music. Almost anything except for drum and bass and not a lot of classical. My current gears are TH900, TG334, ESW10JPN, Amperior, SE215, HM901 with a plethora of amp cards, Continental V2, Porta Tube, Benchmark. Had and demo-ed a lot of other gears previously as I am sure similarly like everyone else here.

I will not comment on the build of the prototype as it was not a finished product and frankly, the prototype casing looked like something I made in the loo. Sorry Gavin. =]

From the get-go, I can tell you that the Plus5 will probably raise your eyebrows instantly. It is not something which has qualities that you have to try to discern or "listen out" for. The clarity strikes a person from the start. At least for me. You hear everything easily and naturally. Drums, guitars, singers, all at where they should be. The is no colour to the sound nor any emphasis in any frequency except a wee tad to the bass? Which in a well engineered concert, should be the way, I guess?

I had a little trouble trying to describe the sound of the Plus5 initially as well as its staging. There really wasn't any sound characteristic in particular to me except "natural". Organic without the warmth, detailed without being clinical. As for the staging, best I can describe is the listener becomes the mic? The singer feels closer to you when he/she sings up close to the mic, as some like to do, and a little further when they sing further away from it. As I wrote earlier, everything where it should be. There are no artificial filters to change the sound or add a "house sound" to the product. The Plus5 gives a reference sound that is as natural as it gets for me. Sound frequencies decay when they are suppose to. Highs from cymbals are sharp in a good way, mids are crisp, bass is fast and punchy and freaking low for a BA. A very rich sound that is not coloured or bloated. There was zero bloat that I could hear in the tracks I tried it with. It actually made me realise the bloatiness in my rig for some tracks, which kinda sucks for me.  

The rigs I tried in with were Plus5 > Uber Too > AK380CU, Plus5 > Uber Too > Opus #1  and Plus5 > Uber Too > HM901 with Angel Card. These are also in order of best to worst. Personally I am not a huge believer in cable differences ("ZOMG! Blasphemous deaf fool!" Whatever.) and so do not really attribute much of what I heard to the Uber Too. Cables to me give a 5-10% improvement max and just about negligible when on the go. The AK CU pairing was sublime. Best of the lot. The Opus, another recent product that impressed me especially after being told the price, was quite similar to my ears and an excellent pairing as well, missing out on some nuances and "smoothness"? The HM901 was horrible. Everything was terribly slow and muddy. I do not know why except that I think the Angel card might be too coloured and frequency-leaned that the transparency of the Plus5 further exaggerated that. I almost cried. Crossing my fingers that a different card might sound better. 

Not sure if I missed anything but I will comment more here if I can remember something. So far, this all probably sounds like hype but to be honest, I am a very lazy person and would not write this much if something was not worth my time. Go take a listen first and please correct me if I am wrong anywhere. This ugly prototype was quite special to my ears and those of my friends who got to take a listen as well. The only thing preventing me from changing to this when it gets released would be my wallet size and that Gavin is a smelly Manchester United fan(Seriously gross). 

Cheers. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #150 of 1,275
  So I got the pleasure of meeting Gavin today at Canjam as well, and of course, I had to try the Plus5. No way I was gonna let it slip.

The set up was mostly AK380Cu (balanced out) > Uber Too > Plus5.

First and foremost, the size! For those who loved the Ref1 and 1P2 only to be let down by the fitment, here's the Tralucent IEM that was always meant for you. Taking dynamic driver out of the equation allowed Gavin to reduce the size of the Plus5 and as a result, fit most ears alot better. I for one, benefitted from the reduced size majorly. The Uber cable has also come a long way, with the latest Uber Too cable being very very easy to work with, without all the stiffness of the first iteration Uber cable.

No pictures though, because it was a prototype and not a production set. The production set will be in full black jacket. I like full black. Oozes sex appeal. Think Scarlett Johansson in the Avengers. 

Incidentally, that was also how my face looked when Gavin played the first track (A classical piece, sorry I don't remember the title) on his AK380Cu for me. I swear. The Plus5 was doing this to me.

So first, the bass. Being a fan of hybrids, there were very little IEMs, in my opinion, that could match up to a proficient and well implemented dynamic in a hybrid. Well, the Plus 5 did just that and more. The bass was tight and controlled, never boomy, yet you could actually feel it rumble like a damn dynamic driver. There was certainly a slight tilt towards the lower frequencies but it never muddied up the rest of the frequency spectrum. 

The mids were also extremely well done. Being more accustomed to contemporary pop, I searched Gavin's library for songs I actually am familiar with. Found a bunch of John Mayer's albums. When "Who Says" started playing, I was more than amazed at this point because I've never heard John Mayer in this manner before. Vocals actually sound like you're there with the singer. 

I could go on and on about how impressive the Plus5 is, with how the highs are capable of making cymbals actually send chills up my spine (literal goosebumps) or how the staging width and depth was true to source, but no amount of description would really suffice until you really get to try it. What's most impressive about it is how coherent or cohesive the Plus5 actually is. Technical proficiency will mean nothing if the different parts of band sound separated and disorganized. The Plus5 puts all these technicalities into one impressive package, so much so that critical listening on it is pretty hard, because all you would want to do is to really sit back and let the music fill your soul. 

Lastly, suspecting the AK380Cu might be pulling some weight on what I was hearing, I tried the Plus5 on thebit Opus#1, which I must say is an impressive DAP for its price too. On further listening with the Opus#1, it was clear that though detailing and clarity does take a slight hit, it doesn't ever detracts from being so coherent and natural. It is only as capable as your DAP would allow it to be.

And so, after the session, I stole Gavin's Plus5 without his knowing, so it's in my keeps right now. 

Okay I didn't but I wanted to.

You forgot to mention that you were wearing that same black dress as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back