NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM
Mar 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #166 of 1,275
The DAC inside KSE1500 is limited to 24/96 will that count? :))

At least it includes a DAC. What the heck is in a $1000 cable, unicorn horn and magic pixie dust. Even if the cable was made of sold platinum the material costs would in no way justify the price.

I think Gavin makes some great IEMs but please do not try to justify his pricing by comparing it to something like the KSE.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #171 of 1,275
Really? When you consider the KSE1500s price includes an electrostatic IEM, cables, an amplifier and a DAC and all of the R&D of 40 people behind it. While the Plus5 uses 5 off the shelf balanced armatures, a solid core cable and a designer who considers this a "hobby" the comparison is foolish.

Just because KSE1500 is a planar magnetic earphone doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. Remember, its the 'first' planar magnetic earphone ever on the market, the 'first attempt' at something never done before, does this instantly make it the best-sounding earphone in the world? I think not, and much rather but my money where development has been for years and well understood. Just because KSE1500 was in R&D so long doesn't necessarily mean its amazing either. More so the amount of time it actually took Shure to make it even work for them.

Not to mention many members report KSE clipping and distorting at higher volumes.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #172 of 1,275
Just because KSE1500 is a planar magnetic earphone doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. Remember, its the 'first' planar magnetic earphone ever on the market, the 'first attempt' at something never done before, does this instantly make it the best-sounding earphone in the world? I think not, and much rather but my money where development has been for years and well understood. Just because KSE1500 was in R&D so long doesn't necessarily mean its amazing either. More so the amount of time it actually took Shure to make it even work for them.

Not to mention many members report KSE clipping and distorting at higher volumes.

The KSE is an electrostatic IEM. :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #174 of 1,275
Really? When you consider the KSE1500s price includes an electrostatic IEM, cables, an amplifier and a DAC and all of the R&D of 40 people behind it. While the Plus5 uses 5 off the shelf balanced armatures, a solid core cable and a designer who considers this a "hobby" the comparison is foolish.

For clarification........

I think the word "hobby" is somewhat miscontrued, at least from my usage of it and what is being implied above.

But firstly, I conceptualize the IEM, not design. I, personally cannot even change a plug, but then I have people who does that for me.

The term "hobby" I adoringly refer to, is, stating the fact that Tralucent thus far has been an expenditure to pursue personal enjoyment...whether it is the In-Ears or traveling to Head-Fi shows and meeting wonderful people with many who has become good friends. I have not actively promoted my In-Ears, albeit that situation may change in the coming months.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #175 of 1,275
spkrs01-If you do promote, and start hiring, please call me and let me lead Tralucent USA!!

Hobby or not, the best sounding IEMS. Plus, I've known many hobbyists that create beautiful things, some better then their professional counterparts. Hobbyists have a passion, passion can not be bought. I'd prefer a person with passion and knowledge to create my IEMS. That's not an insult to Shure, I loved my Se846, but I love my Ref 1 a lot more.

Hobbyist or pro, the result speaks volumes. If I had my choice of IEMS, and I pretty much do, Tralucent all the way!!

Yes, I'm a tralucent fan boy!! :wink:

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #176 of 1,275
Apparently Gavin has some epic home rig or something, gives him a strong reference point.

He just listens to this at home and they plug him into an IEM tuning module.
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #177 of 1,275
  Apparently Gavin has some epic home rig or something, gives him a strong reference point.

He just listens to this at home and they plug him into an IEM tuning module.
tongue.gif

HAHAHAHAHA

Actually my system is in storage but I have regular access to my good friend's system and fellow head fi-er in Hong Kong. 

All housed in a dedicated room with full treatment.....

This gives inspiration on sonics, and how things should sound 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #179 of 1,275
It's interesting, the 1plus2 was actually tuned to try replicate from the sweet spot of listening to the Soulution/Magico system I have in storage. The salient word is "try"

Recent observations, and how this hobby has really progress at an unbelievable rate in terms of sound quality in recent years, with daps, portable dac amps, and in-ears, is what a great tool personal audio plays in tuning a home system. Of course, not in the macro sense but micro.

There's so much detail that is retrieved nowadays in personal audio, where the transducer is placed mm from the ear drums and everything is crystal clear, helps with positioning the speakers here and there by an inch, as fondly said by Dave Wilson, and room treatment to extract such information as heard from a personal audio system.  

So for me, it becomes full circle and cross utilization of both mediums.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #180 of 1,275

For clarification........

I think the word "hobby" is somewhat miscontrued, at least from my usage of it and what is being implied above.

But firstly, I conceptualize the IEM, not design. I, personally cannot even change a plug, but then I have people who does that for me.

The term "hobby" I adoringly refer to, is, stating the fact that Tralucent thus far has been an expenditure to pursue personal enjoyment...whether it is the In-Ears or traveling to Head-Fi shows and meeting wonderful people with many who has become good friends. I have not actively promoted my In-Ears, albeit that situation may change in the coming months.

Wow...maybe I should just come work for you. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back