New top Lotoo Mjolnir
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #317 of 667
I was at CanJam too yesterday and headed to the Hifonix stand for a listen to the Expanse and Steath to scratch that itch. I sat down in front of the Mjolnir and listened to the Expanse, Stealth and the Meze Empyrean.

Bearing in mind it was noisy and perhaps I was expecting too much from a £9k+ pairing but I wasn’t "blown away’

Im sitting here now listening to Hugo 2 over optical from my iPad pro into the Sennheiser HD650 and to be honest it sounds better.

Perhaps it’s my mood, the home environment or perhaps I’m just the target audience for this gear.

YMMV applies but the opportunity to listen to the gear I did at CanJam made me grateful for the stuff I already own, well other than I may have to upgrade to a Hugo TT 2 we shall see. 🤪

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #319 of 667
No unfortunately, so the retail unit may sound different once the firmware is final, I am staying.
Firmware is no problem, it's repeated mentions of the amp performance that are of concern.

Would someone be kind enough to clarify with the Hifonix stand if the retail unit has different performance in this respect?

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #321 of 667
The silence here is quite worrisome.
Not ideal. From what I gather from this thread and from private conversation, the issue is as much a question of power as it is the presentation itself. I was told the Mjolnir was "polite" sounding, which is certainly not what I was expecting or hoping for. Maybe Lotoo are adopting a different tuning.

I remain interested, but I cannot see myself blind buying anymore.

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #322 of 667
Not ideal. From what I gather from this thread and from private conversation, the issue is as much a question of power as it is the presentation itself. I was told the Mjolnir was "polite" sounding, which is certainly not what I was expecting or hoping for. Maybe Lotoo are adopting a different tuning.

I remain interested, but I cannot see myself blind buying anymore.
already put on hold my blind order but after your last post i’m probably gonna have to cancel.
i was looking for a reference tuning. if i can find a lpgt ti + tsuranagi (again) that will do. or perhaps 320max ti as a two in one (i just don’t like android but this leaves me no option) ?

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #323 of 667
already put on hold my blind order but after your last post i’m probably gonna have to cancel.
i was looking for a reference tuning. if i can find a lpgt ti + tsuranagi (again) that will do. or perhaps 320max ti as a two in one (i just don’t like android but this leaves me no option) ?
Well I don't want to deter you, I'm just reporting what I've been told.

I think we are/were probably looking for similar things in terms of reference tuning and a highly dynamic amp performance. I already have this via LGPT Ti + Mass Kobo/Sound Tiger combo, but the appeal of the Mjolnir is the all-in-one unit....

I'll certainly keep an eye out for further impressions, and remain curious if the actual retail units differ (though unless the prototype has different amp hardware, I'm not sure of what difference there could be).

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #327 of 667
why would you need the sound tiger in the stack ? seriously, i’m not familiar with this hence the question

edit : have you heard tsuranagi ?
The Mass Kobo is acting as a preamp to the Sound Tiger. I read about it using the Sound Tiger in this way in passing on a Discord channel, gave it a go, and was amazed by the results. It takes what is already amazing about Mass Kobo and Paw Gold combo, and gives a more commanding performance, with thunderous but precise dynamics, and a very forward but musical timbre. The Sound Tiger has no volume control, so it outputs whatever you put into it in an incredibly clean and totally silent way. I mostly use this combo for headphones - especially Kennerton Rognir planar - but find it works wonders on IE900, too.

As for Tsuranagi, yes I did hear it briefly. Wasn't really my cup of tea. Love their cables, but the Mass Kobo tuning is where my heart is.

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #328 of 667
Firmware is no problem, it's repeated mentions of the amp performance that are of concern.

Would someone be kind enough to clarify with the Hifonix stand if the retail unit has different performance in this respect?
The full product unit of Mjolnir turned up to us on Friday 11am and we left the studio and set off to London at 12 to setup for the weekend . We didn’t have enough time to set it up and update the firmwares. I’m sure you can understand the amount of effort and resources we have put in for all the headfiers there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #329 of 667
The full product unit of Mjolnir turned up to us on Friday 11am and we left the studio and set off to London at 12 to setup for the weekend . We didn’t have enough time to set it up and update the firmwares. I’m sure you can understand the amount of effort and resources we have put in for all the headfiers there.
Appreciate that.

Once things are set-up, I think many of us would be grateful for clarification if the production unit differs from the unit displayed at CanJam.

Cheers.

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #330 of 667

Don't forget iBasso have a 2nd OS, 'mango mode' which makes it a pure music player like lotoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back