New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 25, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #7,171 of 9,406
I updated to the latest AK firmware but am still unable to get Amazon Music to work. Has anyone had any success?
The issue with Amazon Music seems to be an issue with the app itself. We are seeing the same issue with other Android devices using the same CPU as our flagship players. We are awaiting an app update from Amazon.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 26, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #7,172 of 9,406
is now sideloading apps not possible with the latest update, I still see my uploaded apk of deezer and tidal apps after updating, can those not be updated as on deezer to be able to play hifi u need to be on apk deezer

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #7,173 of 9,406
is now sideloading apps not possible with the latest update, I still see my uploaded apk of deezer and tidal apps after updating, can those not be updated as on deezer to be able to play hifi u need to be on apk deezer
Side load limited approved apk.
Can not load apk you may like.

Side load a better "Back button" for example, is user's will

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #7,174 of 9,406
I just updated my firmware and now I can WiFi Stream Youtube ! BRILLANT ! Congrats A&K !

I wish SONY was as inovative with their "flagship" DMP-Z1 which at 10.000 $ don't even support WiFi ! ;-(

IMG_2685.JPG

This give me the wish to upgrade to SP2000 !

But main questions are of now course: (1) is it worth if you already own SP1000ss, and (2) SP2K SS or CU ? ( I intend to use it with SHURE KSE 1500 or ZMF Verite Closed )

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #7,175 of 9,406
I just updated my firmware and now I can WiFi Stream Youtube ! BRILLANT ! Congrats A&K !

I wish SONY was as inovative with their "flagship" DMP-Z1 which at 10.000 $ don't even support WiFi ! ;-(

But main questions are of now course: (1) is it worth if you already own SP1000ss, and (2) SP2K SS or CU ? ( I intend to use it with SHURE KSE 1500 or ZMF Verite Closed )
Only you can make that decision after comparing the SP1K and SP2K.
I made the change and believe there is an improvement in sound quality albeit subtle and I guess due to the difference in DACS primarily.
However financially it is hard to justify depending what you do with your old SP1K.
Logic however rarely informs our decisions in this hobby.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #7,176 of 9,406
Only you can make that decision after comparing the SP1K and SP2K.
I made the change and believe there is an improvement in sound quality albeit subtle and I guess due to the difference in DACS primarily.
However financially it is hard to justify depending what you do with your old SP1K.
Logic however rarely informs our decisions in this hobby.

How would you compare with the 'humble' QP1R or is there no comparison?

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #7,177 of 9,406
How would you compare with the 'humble' QP1R or is there no comparison?
I had the QP1R and it is a fine sounding DAP.
However the SP2K is significantly better in terms of absolute clarity and dynamism.
However at over three times the price it should do.
Questyle seem to have lost the way with building on their success with the QP1R. I expected a real challenge to AK but it never progressed.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #7,178 of 9,406
I had the QP1R and it is a fine sounding DAP.
However the SP2K is significantly better in terms of absolute clarity and dynamism.
However at over three times the price it should do.
Questyle seem to have lost the way with building on their success with the QP1R. I expected a real challenge to AK but it never progressed.
I would also echo this statement. The QPIR was my first DAP and I absolutely loved it until the volume knob started playing up. Definitely delivers on price vs perf ratio but for me not quite a SP1000 IMHO

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #7,179 of 9,406
@JasonNYC when i sideload qobus will I have full bit rate playback for files that are 192/24

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #7,180 of 9,406

I play youtube on sp1k for months. Yes, old FW

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #7,183 of 9,406
I have a SP1000m, and recently tried using Tidal via USB Audio out to my Sony TA-ZH1ES. Playback keeps stalling by itself. Doesn't matter whether it's the embedded or side-loaded app, online streaming or offline downloaded tracks. I'll have to manually press play again only for it to stall again a few seconds later. Anyone experiencing this? I'm running the latest firmware (1.31CN) and Tidal versions (1.8 embedded and 2.12.0 side-loaded). Thanks in advance!

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #7,184 of 9,406
I heard the SP1000M when it was introduced at last year's Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and immediately pre-ordered one from Justin at Headamp (great company BTW). For the money, it had the best clarity and features of any player. For me, the ability to slip the player into my shirt or pants pocket was key. I have enjoyed the SP1000M so much...

If you are considering an SP2000 or SP1000, I heard it at this year's Fest and was able to compare it to the SP1000. I definitely noticed an improvement in clarity and dynamics as noted also in the previous post. If I were to consider one versus the other, regardless of cost, I would chose the SP2000. With that said, a used SP1000 would be quite the bargain.

I really appreciate the support from A&K's development team with the regular firmware updates and features, including the new ability to stream YouTube videos with the V-link app. Awesome work team!

I noticed that some of the supported sideload apps are now available on the apkpure.com web site with xapk files. I am unable to load these versions with the latest firmware. Jason, do you know if these files will be supported, or do we need to extract the apk file from the xapk using some utility?

I am experiencing one issue as well with the latest firmware update. I am able to sideload the latest Sound Cloud 2019.09.03 app, but it "crashes" when it runs. I am, however, successfully able to load and run the previous version 2019.07.08, so for now, I am using that older version.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #7,185 of 9,406
Have you seen something like that?
I was not able to turn it on. After a long press I had that screen as below. Then another long press and it has turned off.
Now it is working fine again but I am just curious.
2019-09-30 22-02-49e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back