New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 14, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #6,736 of 9,409
Where did you get the APK for UAPP? I've been looking for this everywhere. I agree the Toneboosters EQ is awesome. Kills the inadequate AK EQ. Morphit is very useful if you own a lot of headphones.

I extrac my paid uapp from smartphone.
Installing ok but license if a problem.
Like you recover the license on new decive(smartphone), but on AK dap now no way bcs of no GG service.
Installing gg service is now not yet success

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,737 of 9,409
20190714_235034.jpg

20190714_235034.jpg
now on my dap

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #6,738 of 9,409
Today HF player pro paid app show error.
It turn back to free app.
Btw paid feature wont work on sp1k alone w/o ext dac.
So ok no prob.

Most wanted is UAPP bcs it has tidal embeded
20190714_235723.jpg
20190714_235548.jpg
20190714_235524.jpg

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #6,739 of 9,409
20190715_000510.jpg
20190715_000510.jpg
20190715_000535.jpg

My neutron on sp1k remain 130h of use.
It wrote : remainingn130h. If you have paid pls contact devs.
I think all paid app will has the same probs.
Will try some method to paid on my dap then inform later.

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #6,740 of 9,409
In short, to install non supporting app like neutronmp we use a supporting app ex. Spotify app

1. Get on the internet *.apk of neutronmp and sportify then keep both in TWO folder on your laptop.
2. Rename both to be a SAME name . Any name can use ok but for ease, let set spotify.apk
3. Connect dap to laptop by usb cable
3. Copy (real) spotify.apk to the local memory of the dap (/SP1000 internal memory/OpenService)
4. On the dap, go to Setting > Service. Confirm that Spotify is there with a arrow icon (mean not yet install). It now accepted by the dap.
Do not touch.
5. On the laptop, now delete (real)spotify.apk from SP1000 internal memory/OpenService
6. Now copy (fake) spotify.apk (which actually is Neutronmp) to there on the dap
7. On the dap, touch the Spotify app you saw on step 4
Then neutronmp app will start installing!

If you want to see video, refer to Arion128 post

Thx! I succeeded in installing and running NeutronMP!

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #6,741 of 9,409
Where's that screen? Can't find it.
Most probably the app does a periodical purchase check to avoid piracy...?

My neutron on sp1k remain 130h of use.
It wrote : remainingn130h. If you have paid pls contact devs.
I think all paid app will has the same probs.
Will try some method to paid on my dap then inform later.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #6,742 of 9,409
Where's that screen? Can't find it.
Most probably the app does a periodical purchase check to avoid piracy...?

Touch the gear icon then pull down to last menu. It is there.
Note : content of the page will vary so you have to do it serveral times untill you see it.
Reason is bcs neutron app itself verify license via network.
But on SPK we dont have ggplay therein to be faster analysing license.

Sadly, I paid again directly and get apk that fixed to my email google acount.
Then flash this apk on the dap.
Fail. Still a counter clock for demo.
Reason is lacking of ggplay, app devs can not verify license

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #6,743 of 9,409
Touch the gear icon then pull down to last menu. It is there.
Note : content of the page will vary so you have to do it serveral times untill you see it.
Reason is bcs neutron app itself verify license via network.
But on SPK we dont have ggplay therein to be faster analysing license.

Sadly, I paid again directly and get apk that fixed to my email google acount.
Then flash this apk on the dap.
Fail. Still a counter clock for demo.
Reason is lacking of ggplay, app devs can not verify license

Can't see the countdown so far, but I guess it's just going to appear at some time.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #6,744 of 9,409
Bad news again with SP1000:

Bluetooth hasn’t worked since day one, which I lived with as it has only been missed a couple of times.
Then in the last week, WiFi connectivity stopped working as well. The DAP says it’s connected to my WiFi (only the 2.4ghz one of course), but the WiFi symbol remains devoid of WiFi bars and nothing connects (I use Tidal and Spotify APK downloads). All my other devices are fine with my WiFi.
I’ve done a factory reset (AGAIN) and reinstalled the APK add-ons (AGAIN) but no joy. The unit will be going back to the store.

It’s a shame as the SQ is fantastic, and I don’t take back a thing I’ve said about the musical enjoyment.
But connectivity is appalling. My FiiO was flawless in this respect, even though the SPK outperforms it musically (as it should for the 5x cost, but it does indeed).
I also don’t understand why AKs won’t work with 5ghz WiFi - it’s a lot quicker and I never had any issues with Onkyo or FiiO. Again, you “put up” with this for the SQ.

I’m tempted to give up AK as a bad job and move on. In terms of my own hobby experiences, if a boutique guitar or amp manufacturer produced something this unreliable, they’d be out of business in six months.

I’m not into bashing @JasonNYC - he has been nothing but helpful to everyone in all the posts I’ve read in the last few years (whoever gave him **** for not replying within two hours on the 4th July this year needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror). I held off after an old AK120 for Tidal offline, and that’s what finally made me jump back in. But sometimes you have to vote with your wallet and be honest in whether or not to recommend the product to friends. This has not been a particularly good experience really.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #6,745 of 9,409
Bad news again with SP1000:

Bluetooth hasn’t worked since day one, which I lived with as it has only been missed a couple of times.
Then in the last week, WiFi connectivity stopped working as well. The DAP says it’s connected to my WiFi (only the 2.4ghz one of course), but the WiFi symbol remains devoid of WiFi bars and nothing connects (I use Tidal and Spotify APK downloads). All my other devices are fine with my WiFi.
I’ve done a factory reset (AGAIN) and reinstalled the APK add-ons (AGAIN) but no joy. The unit will be going back to the store.

It’s a shame as the SQ is fantastic, and I don’t take back a thing I’ve said about the musical enjoyment.
But connectivity is appalling. My FiiO was flawless in this respect, even though the SPK outperforms it musically (as it should for the 5x cost, but it does indeed).
I also don’t understand why AKs won’t work with 5ghz WiFi - it’s a lot quicker and I never had any issues with Onkyo or FiiO. Again, you “put up” with this for the SQ.

I’m tempted to give up AK as a bad job and move on. In terms of my own hobby experiences, if a boutique guitar or amp manufacturer produced something this unreliable, they’d be out of business in six months.

I’m not into bashing @JasonNYC - he has been nothing but helpful to everyone in all the posts I’ve read in the last few years (whoever gave him **** for not replying within two hours on the 4th July this year needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror). I held off after an old AK120 for Tidal offline, and that’s what finally made me jump back in. But sometimes you have to vote with your wallet and be honest in whether or not to recommend the product to friends. This has not been a particularly good experience really.
@FidelityCastro Sent you a PM.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #6,746 of 9,409
Received my AMP today. Haven't done any proper A/B comparison, I just had a check with some audio tracks. The amp is whisper silent, no background noise at all, you just don't feel you added something in there. My impression is that it drives my LCDi4 with quite a bit more authority compared to the "naked" SP1000, the music seems to flow more naturally and effortlessy, with a deeper soundstage, bass seems quite a bit more in control (not that it lacked before, but I felt it was a bit lacking in focus). Just impressive with these earphones.
Curiously enough, with the AMP set on high gain I don't really have to set volume much lower than when I was using the SP1000 with no amp. Again, no proper comparison, but I seem to reach about 110 where I was getting to around 125 before.
Integration is wery well solved, it's just a bit annoying that one has to enable the amp at each boot, even if I understand that it was done for security purposes.
So far very happy with the purchase.
On a sidenote, the SP1000+AMP with its case fits just fine in A&K's own 3 split case, just a tad snugly. Had it been a couple of mm higher, it would have become difficult to put it in.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #6,747 of 9,409
Hi JasonNYC,

I have a couple of questions, based on my terrible day yesterday...
I was putting my spkm in my pocket, and instead it fell to the ground.
It hasn't reacted since. I've treated it perfectly since I got it, so this is the only bang.

1- Where can I send it to get it back to life? Please consider I'm in Italy.

2- Isn't the spkm supposed to be mobile? I ask because one would expect a minimum of shock resistance. My Phone X has flown across rooms and it's still going, haven't even been able to crack the glass, and this one fell to the ground and died. Just saying that either I was really unlucky, or maybe a bit sturdier build could be a mobile feature.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #6,748 of 9,409
Received my AMP today. Haven't done any proper A/B comparison, I just had a check with some audio tracks. The amp is whisper silent, no background noise at all, you just don't feel you added something in there. My impression is that it drives my LCDi4 with quite a bit more authority compared to the "naked" SP1000, the music seems to flow more naturally and effortlessy, with a deeper soundstage, bass seems quite a bit more in control (not that it lacked before, but I felt it was a bit lacking in focus). Just impressive with these earphones.
Curiously enough, with the AMP set on high gain I don't really have to set volume much lower than when I was using the SP1000 with no amp. Again, no proper comparison, but I seem to reach about 110 where I was getting to around 125 before.
Integration is wery well solved, it's just a bit annoying that one has to enable the amp at each boot, even if I understand that it was done for security purposes.
So far very happy with the purchase.
On a sidenote, the SP1000+AMP with its case fits just fine in A&K's own 3 split case, just a tad snugly. Had it been a couple of mm higher, it would have become difficult to put it in.
How does the sound quality compare with other dac/amps eg Mojo? On paper, at least, the sp amp has more power.

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #6,749 of 9,409
How does the sound quality compare with other dac/amps eg Mojo? On paper, at least, the sp amp has more power.

Can't really tell, sorry. Never used my LCDi4 with other stuff. My home setup is SR009-based, thus I've never felt the need of using the LCDi4 on it.
I always excluded solutions such as the Mojo/Hugo for going portable, I'm sure they sound great but I don't really want to mess around with more devices and the needed interconnects. It took A&K a while, I had lost my hopes, but I'm glad they finally got a dedicated amp out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back