New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 17, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #6,406 of 9,409
Just curious: why do you want the Hugo2 with sp1000? It is not necessarily better... seems expensive and complicated for a portable rig. The 1000 is all you need, or wait for the 2000.

May 18, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #6,408 of 9,409
How do you like the sp1000 compared to the pavane? Do you have the level 3? I have a metrum onyx waiting for me at home when I get back from a work trip. From talking with a few folks it seemed like the onyx is close to the pavane and the only reason to get the pavane was if you are doing critical listening every day. If I like the onyx I might trade up to the pavane or adagio.

Have you tried using the sp1000 as a transport with the pavane?
I have tried both onyx and pavane level3.
Pavane is a definitely better than onyx in all departments.
In order to completely unleash pavane one should pair it with an equally impressive amp and headphone. I am still in the process of finding an appropriate replacement for my violectric v281 ..

Now as compared to SP1000cu... its NOS vs OS sound... but to me pavane is something else... sp1k cannot match the resolving capability, tonality, transient response..etc. and if given a choice between both I'll pick pavane any day...
If any manufacturer launches a NOS DAP in future with proper software & hardware implementation... i'll gladly trade my sp1kcu..YMMV

May 18, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #6,409 of 9,409
I have tried both onyx and pavane level3.
Pavane is a definitely better than onyx in all departments.
In order to completely unleash pavane one should pair it with an equally impressive amp and headphone. I am still in the process of finding an appropriate replacement for my violectric v281 ..

Now as compared to SP1000cu... its NOS vs OS sound... but to me pavane is something else... sp1k cannot match the resolving capability, tonality, transient response..etc. and if given a choice between both I'll pick pavane any day...
If any manufacturer launches a NOS DAP in future with proper software & hardware implementation... i'll gladly trade my sp1kcu..YMMV
The Abyss guys seem to like the Formula S amp.

May 18, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #6,410 of 9,409
I love using my SP1000cu either with SE846 or Campfire Andromedas when portable.

If I'm sitting in my favourite chair at home thought, I'd quite like to use my 2019 iPad Pro 12.9 connected to the SP1000 in DAC mode via USB C using Roon as a source. Is anyone doing this?

I'm familiar with using the Lighting CCK with older iPads, but any advice on how to do it with the new USB C iPads? Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be as simple as a USB C to USB C connection.

Many thanks for your help!

May 18, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #6,412 of 9,409
The Abyss guys seem to like the Formula S amp.

Because they are (JPS labs behind Abyss) collaborating with XIAudio (behind Formula/Broadway amps). It's a small world :wink:

May 18, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6,413 of 9,409
Just curious: why do you want the Hugo2 with sp1000? It is not necessarily better... seems expensive and complicated for a portable rig. The 1000 is all you need, or wait for the 2000.

Well, to my ears Hugo 2 is in a different league than spk / wm1z / LPGT, ymmv. I haven't heard the new N8 or LP6 yet.

This is more of a question about AK Connect then about SP1000: I plan to get a SP1000 or AK300 to use it on-the-go with optical out to a Hugo 2. I plan to play music from the sd card in the DAP, and control via an iPhone using the AK Connect app.

Is using the iPhone hotspot the only way to do this? Is there a more power-efficient way?

Is there a more appropriate/relevant thread to ask about the app?

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #6,414 of 9,409
Mines arrived. It's beautiful and very well made. Charging it up now

May 18, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #6,415 of 9,409
Well, to my ears Hugo 2 is in a different league than spk / wm1z / LPGT, ymmv.

The DAC on hugo2 is awesome...the amp stage is a let down imho... sounded artificial/digital to me... ended up selling it...got a good resale value...

May 18, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #6,416 of 9,409
The DAC on hugo2 is awesome...the amp stage is a let down imho... sounded artificial/digital to me... ended up selling it...got a good resale value...

Right, but even with the relatively crappy amp stage it still sounds far better than the current TOTL DAP's when driving headphones, at least to my ears. Footprint is a different issue though.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #6,417 of 9,409
I have a question: how much of an effect does the computer hardware have on using DAC mode? Are there any ways to optimize the sound quality of DAC mode in the computer end of things?

Really depends on the player used on your Mac. If the player has an exclusive mode and the ability to select the sound output device it will completely bypass the Mac’s audio output. If not, you will have to manually set your DAC using the Audio MIDI Setup program in the Utility folder.

May 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #6,418 of 9,409
Right, but even with the relatively crappy amp stage it still sounds far better than the current TOTL DAP's when driving headphones, at least to my ears. Footprint is a different issue though.

I prefer the Hugo 2 rather that straight SP1000 with my Utopia. But SP1000 with KSE1200 beats the Hugo 2 set up for me. By a country mile.

May 18, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #6,419 of 9,409
Astell & Kern will launch at Munich their new flagship.

more info here: http://www.quebecaudio.com/index.php/astellkern-launches-new-product-lines-at-high-end-2017-munich/

• Ultimate music playback with the latest dual AK4497EQ DAC
• Equipped with Octa-Core CPU to optimize system performance
• Sound designed with high output power with low distortion
• 5 inch LCD screen, new GUI, USB 3.0, and multifunction wheel
and 12 hours playing time (advertised :wink: ! )

SS version available in MAY... and CU version available later.

but.... what about TITAL and TITAL Off-line ???
The DAC is the 99, not the 97 that was a typo on website

May 18, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #6,420 of 9,409
Sp1000 ss sounds wonderful. It's arrived on version 1.06 so it needs updates but it keeps failing when I try. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back