New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #4,606 of 9,409
This confirms my gut feeling. It should work, but who knows :)* ... it is probably a better idea to only use my ipad charger, since both, 5v or 9v, are covered by SP1000.

* the problem is who would be liable in case of a problem? the producer of the device or the charger? this could become a nightmare to deal with. not for a 30 bucks switch controller (who cares, **** happens, next one) but for a >> 3000 bucks mobile player.

Thanks Tyatya for your reply!

You're welcome.
Shure doesnt supply a fast charger in the package, I dont remember what they wrote in warranty page relate about failure due to charging. I use my charger 9V/1.67A commonly for my smart phone and sp1000.
If my smp alive after charged, my sp1000 should be so. :D

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4,607 of 9,409
Yeah. I successfully charged my son's Nintendo Switch Controller with my Macbook charger ... my SP1000 should be alive as well ? ... I am not going to give it a try ... :beyersmile:

I just came across this nice explanation from one of the charger manufacturers: https://www.trust.com/de/usb-c-compatibility ... which reads quite positive.

On the other hand Belkin seems to offer 2.500 USD insurance for potentially affected devices.

Mh ... USB-C remains new for some time and we'll experience how it matures ...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #4,608 of 9,409
I have also experienced this, if the SP1000 is in a place where it drops below a certain temperature this happens to mine.
So I have a new phenomenon with my SPK... occasionally when I boot it up (probably only happened 3 times) I get a large orange stripe down the middle of the screen for approximately 3 seconds. Then the 'A' pops up and the unit loads entirely as normal. Has anyone else experienced this? It looks worrying...

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #4,610 of 9,409
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #4,611 of 9,409
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,612 of 9,409
When connecting the AK to my DAC by USB there is an intermittent fault where the AK stops/pauses playing. Hitting the play button starts it again. If instead I try turning off the AK by holding down the side button I get a grey screen and then an error message saying AKmusic had stopped.
No problem when connecting to the DAC by optical.
Is this a software bug?

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #4,614 of 9,409
Tidal users,
What is your opinion about the SQ of Tidal MQA? Is there a noticable difference compared to the normal Tidal HIFI musics?

It actually varies between the actual tracks, but at well produced ones the difference is very noticable and brings another level to the device, especially since many of the tracks in MQA in the music generes I listen to were not available in DSD, and thus the difference in source quality is huge. Just to "paint" the difference: before the update I listened to MQA via Dragonfly RED and on some level the better source quality of MQA compensated the quality lost in the DAC itself - so SQ of MQA via Dragonfly RED was roughly the same as HiFi via SPK. But now that SKP does MQA, Dragonfly RED is left in the dust and retired.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #4,615 of 9,409
It actually varies between the actual tracks, but at well produced ones the difference is very noticable and brings another level to the device, especially since many of the tracks in MQA in the music generes I listen to were not available in DSD, and thus the difference in source quality is huge. Just to "paint" the difference: before the update I listened to MQA via Dragonfly RED and on some level the better source quality of MQA compensated the quality lost in the DAC itself - so SQ of MQA via Dragonfly RED was roughly the same as HiFi via SPK. But now that SKP does MQA, Dragonfly RED is left in the dust and retired.
Sounds promising! Awaiting for my SPK to arrive. I had the red dragonfly as well but didn’t like it that much.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #4,620 of 9,409
Great video. I really feel a difference between the SP1000 and SP1000m.

There was a video floating around about the SP1000m that the SP1000 was receiving an update next year - anyone have further information on this?

Blaze, could you please tell me what differences do you feel?
I am still wondering which one to choose. Biasing to SPK though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back