New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 2, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #4,591 of 9,409
I had SPK for almost year before I purchased SPKM. Not sure if I felt the 1K difference between the two.
In fact, a lot of songs I listened under blind test I couldn't even distinguish which was was which, of course
you have to take your head piece into account. If you can, I recommend that you try both before making the decision.

Dec 2, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #4,593 of 9,409
I couldn't notice any SQ difference between the SS and M so I went with the M because it is cheaper and more ergonomic.

As I mentioned in my SPKM review, the biggest difference to my ears was SPK more holographic soundstage, while maybe a little thicker body in lower mids of SPKM. One thing for sure (to my ears), the sound of SPKM did change out of the box and after the burn in. SPKM was on loan, so I don't have it anymore. But again, people hear things differently, which is contributed by headphones they use, music they play, their hearing level, etc.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #4,594 of 9,409
@cleg, did you hit the Ukrainian lottery? :D

as SP1000M costs about 5% of Ukrainian GDP, we don't have such lotteries. so I have to get this as a review loan. :D

Thanks!
TBH this review started me wonder. The original idea was to buy the SPKM cause I thought they might be very-very close to each other SQ-wise. And the coclusion of the review sais it is not the case:frowning2:

well, I'll try to explain my thought :) they are close in SQ indeed. really close. but SP1000 is still better, and for me it's noticeable. so, subjectively, I'd go for SP1000 (actually, I already bough it last year, but in case I'd had to select one), as SP1000 is simply the best portable audio sound (at least of all DAPs I've heard, may be that strange sony for $8000 will be better, but I'm not sure)

you know, I can't say something like "everyone, go for SP1000, that sound difference is worth $1100 extra". moreover, I really like reduced size, SPKM is much, much more portable, ~1" of screen and ~150 gr of weight is a real deal. but my subjective opinion — SP1000 worth extra

P.S. I've made blind A/B testing
P.P.S. My SPKM was burnt in :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,595 of 9,409
as SP1000M costs about 5% of Ukrainian GDP, we don't have such lotteries. so I have to get this as a review loan. :D

well, I'll try to explain my thought :) they are close in SQ indeed. really close. but SP1000 is still better, and for me it's noticeable. so, subjectively, I'd go for SP1000 (actually, I already bough it last year, but in case I'd had to select one), as SP1000 is simply the best portable audio sound (at least of all DAPs I've heard, may be that strange sony for $8000 will be better, but I'm not sure)

you know, I can't say something like "everyone, go for SP1000, that sound difference is worth $1100 extra". moreover, I really like reduced size, SPKM is much, much more portable, ~1" of screen and ~150 gr of weight is a real deal. but my subjective opinion — SP1000 worth extra

P.S. I've made blind A/B testing
P.P.S. My SPKM was burnt in :)

Thanks for your explanation Cleg!

I don’t really have the opportunity to test them before I decide so I need to choose based on the valuable info found here.
As I know myself I would always wonder about the SQ difference if I bought the SPK.
To go for the very best one can avoid this kind of dilemma.
On the other hand the price difference is not small...

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #4,598 of 9,409
I might follow you either:)
Which one did you chose SS or CU?

I've made A/B tests in shop and I didn't find audible difference. May be at home, in better condition I'd find some, but I doubt about that. So I've just selected CU, as I like it more. Also, it will be covered in patina in some future, and I like that

Btw regards from the neighborhood Hungary:)
:beerchug:

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #4,600 of 9,409
As an SP1000 owner, I'm glad no one's saying that the M sounds better...

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,601 of 9,409
So I have a new phenomenon with my SPK... occasionally when I boot it up (probably only happened 3 times) I get a large orange stripe down the middle of the screen for approximately 3 seconds. Then the 'A' pops up and the unit loads entirely as normal. Has anyone else experienced this? It looks worrying...

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #4,602 of 9,409
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am, however, hifi enthusiast for some decades and I am just now about to replace my beloved stationary home setup with an almost no-compromise-mobile solution. Hence I am awaiting my CIEM and SP1000 anytime soon :)

Whilst reading this thread as well as running through the manual I couldn't find a definite answer about the usability of USB-C chargers. More and more devices my family owns are equipped with USB-C-to-C chargers, with high quality USB-C-to-C cable (latter seems to bear a risk to burn devices).

Charger I currently have:
  • Nintendo Switch (claims: 5.0V/1.5A or 15.0V/2.6A output ==> shouldn't work)
  • Apple Pro 11" (claims: 5.0V/3.0A or 9.0V/2.0A output ==> should work)
  • MacBookPro (claims: 5.2V/3.0A or 9.0V/3.0A or 15.0V/3.0A or 20.3V/3.0A output ==> should work)
Can I make use of any of these chargers to charge my SP1000 without any risk? It is my understanding that, in any case, I cannot damage an UBS-C device, since the onboard charging circuit negotiates whats (max.) possible and rejects what's not compatible. Hence, either it works or not, but no risk to blow up f.e. SP1000 or underpowered charger.

Thanks

As a reminder: SP1000 input requirements according to manual 5.0V/2.0A or 9.0V/1.67A.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #4,603 of 9,409
I realise that implementation etc, etc will have some affect on sound but as I have the Cowon Plenue 2 mk2 with the AK4497EQ dac, would there be very much difference in sound signature compared to new Astell & Kern 1000? Anyone compared??

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #4,604 of 9,409
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am, however, hifi enthusiast for some decades and I am just now about to replace my beloved stationary home setup with an almost no-compromise-mobile solution. Hence I am awaiting my CIEM and SP1000 anytime soon :)

Whilst reading this thread as well as running through the manual I couldn't find a definite answer about the usability of USB-C chargers. More and more devices my family owns are equipped with USB-C-to-C chargers, with high quality USB-C-to-C cable (latter seems to bear a risk to burn devices).

Charger I currently have:
  • Nintendo Switch (claims: 5.0V/1.5A or 15.0V/2.6A output ==> shouldn't work)
  • Apple Pro 11" (claims: 5.0V/3.0A or 9.0V/2.0A output ==> should work)
  • MacBookPro (claims: 5.2V/3.0A or 9.0V/3.0A or 15.0V/3.0A or 20.3V/3.0A output ==> should work)
Can I make use of any of these chargers to charge my SP1000 without any risk? It is my understanding that, in any case, I cannot damage an UBS-C device, since the onboard charging circuit negotiates whats (max.) possible and rejects what's not compatible. Hence, either it works or not, but no risk to blow up f.e. SP1000 or underpowered charger.

Thanks

As a reminder: SP1000 input requirements according to manual 5.0V/2.0A or 9.0V/1.67A.

Should care for voltage, not current.
Current draws by to-be-charged device, not only charger output.
But voltage, it is select by negociate between charger and device to be charged. If any of them has trouble in auto volt detection, harmfull voltage may happen.
If you link a led - wich is stupid, not smart voltage to multi volt device, it can be killed very first moment before charger recognize correct volt (it can not did that with a led as a consumable device)

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #4,605 of 9,409
This confirms my gut feeling. It should work, but who knows :)* ... it is probably a better idea to only use my ipad charger, since both, 5v or 9v, are covered by SP1000.

* the problem is, who would be liable in case of a problem? the producer of the device or the charger? this could become a nightmare to deal with. not for a 30 bucks switch controller (who cares, crap happens, next one) but for a >> 3000 bucks mobile player.

Thanks Tyatya for your reply!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back