New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #4,546 of 9,406
Has anyone had a chance to compare the SP1000M to Hugo 2 with an SR15 or similar transport in terms of sound quality?

The convenience of the SP1000M as a single package seems hard to beat but I want to avoid the desire to upgrade, at least for a little while.

I sold my SR15 quickly after SP1000M. It was a bigger upgrade than I expected. I am also slightly favoring SP1000M over my Hugo 2, but it is close.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #4,547 of 9,406
I sold my SR15 quickly after SP1000M. It was a bigger upgrade than I expected. I am also slightly favoring SP1000M over my Hugo 2, but it is close.
Thanks for the insights. I wonder if you are able to put the differences between the SP1000M and Hugo 2 into words or is it just an innate preference? I know I sometimes find myself listening to device A more than device B without really being able to explain why.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #4,548 of 9,406
Thanks for the insights. I wonder if you are able to put the differences between the SP1000M and Hugo 2 into words or is it just an innate preference? I know I sometimes find myself listening to device A more than device B without really being able to explain why.

SP1000M is my first A&K device and I bought it just 4 weeks after I bought the Hugo2 (also a previous owner of Hugo). Hugo is colder with _a little bit_ more air and details, but the rendering of SP1000M is very engaging. Bass rendering is marvelous, in both speed, authority and texture. I am not a bass head but I like to listen to bass and like hearing bass as an instrument in the music. I liked it more than Hugo. Mids are also, as I remember, a little bit more forward and with more body.

What is good with Hugo2 is that you don't need to deal with single ended or balanced cable dilemma, as it has enough power to drive anything from the single ended output (and it has two headphone outputs).

I sold my Hugo2 after receiving the SP1000M. But it all depends on your use cases. Sound quality is excellent for both and you will not regret buying any of them. Both incredibly good, as portable devices. Just list your use cases and comprimises you are willing to make in favor of the other.

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #4,550 of 9,406
What does the Lock Wheel function do on the SP1000M? I thought it should keep from changing volume accidentally when it's in your pocket. But volume still functions normally when Lock Wheel is on.

Edit: nevermind... I found the volume is locked when the display is off.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #4,551 of 9,406
Anyone use a hard case like from Pelican to store the DAP? Like a small on w/ foam inserts. I like the stock case but it doesn't cover the top portion. I'm always worried about it banging around in my bag. Maybe I am being too anal. The case Dignis makes for AK covers the top but they don't have one for the M model..

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,552 of 9,406
Anyone use a hard case like from Pelican to store the DAP? Like a small on w/ foam inserts. I like the stock case but it doesn't cover the top portion. I'm always worried about it banging around in my bag. Maybe I am being too anal. The case Dignis makes for AK covers the top but they don't have one for the M model..
I have a small zippered compartment in my backpack, separate from everything else. I wrap the dap in a big-ish plush microfiber towel, fold the excess around it, stuff it in the compartment, and zip it up. It fits snugly, so it doesn't bang around or move around on the go. Works quite well, without having to have a bulky hard case for it.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #4,553 of 9,406
I am almost convinced to get the SP1000M to replace my HTC10 phone as my media source.
Now I just need the final push to join the A&K family.
So, will I get a refined experience with the SP1000M vs my phone lol?
Using T8ie mkii IEM's to listen to music for now.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #4,554 of 9,406

When I had SPKM loaner, I was carrying it using fiio HS7 case, under $10 on amazon and has mesh net pockets on each side to keep dap from tossing around. It's even big enough for SP1000, though SPK won't fit in a side inner pocket.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,555 of 9,406
Fiio HS7: Protecting my DAPs since 3 years.

E175C984-BB8A-40EF-9F09-E5294B958B7E.jpeg

0C928871-20E9-4040-96A4-51DA8F71730D.jpeg

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #4,556 of 9,406
@JasonNYC hey, you guys may want to know that the sp1k power button isnt a click button below 32 degrees, got in my car after work and it wouldnt work right, once it warmed up it got better

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #4,560 of 9,406
@JasonNYC

With the Roon integration, could I use the SP1000 as a battery powered Roon Endpoint feeding optical and/or USB out to a DAC/M-Scaler?

Thanks
@onlychild I'm actually not sure. I haven't heard much about the Roon integration yet, should have more specific info hopefully in the next week or two that I can share.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back