New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #3,526 of 9,409
Has anyone tried pairing the sp1000 with a bluetooth earphone? I normally listen to it through a balanced cable, but today a coworker wanted to try the player, and I tried to pair it with 2 different bluetooth earphones but couldn't find any. Instead, I found a few devices with weird code names that don't seem to mean anything. Anyone know why?

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #3,527 of 9,409
I can't say i've had a problem with the EQ settings. It's made enough difference when i adjust it on my AK240 and the SP1000 for me to hear on my Grado PS1000 headphones. If you want to really hear a difference on EQ settings you should hear the Cowan DAP's, they have multiple settings (too many IMO) which are very extreme.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #3,528 of 9,409
The EQ and Gapless functions never works, it's a joke.

It's just pure marketing gimmick!

Yeah the gapless and wifi range have just shown themselves.
I also took "Thank you" by LED ZEPPELIN and raised the sub 300Hz sliders to max and dropped everything else to the floor making a 10dB gap at least between bass and the mids and treble and it....did...nothing.

Checked the top hit on Google and a 5 page review made no mention of the phantom EQ
Checked video review ( I did a walkthrough vid to this point) and the review made no mention of EQ, filters,wifi range or gapless.

I thought the haters were on a $ trip. It's apparently more than that and I am going to enjoy being one of the first to put it's shortcomings front and center.

I got so excited to see an EQ with minute adjust ability and seeing it not even working and others not talking about it in reviews???

Props to Twister for listing it in his "Cons" bubble and within review.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #3,529 of 9,409
@JasonNYC

Just got a PM from Head-Fi's biggest reviewer asking if my EQ was working as his does not. I gave it a spin and it does not. Tried several IEM and tracks that i often use EQ to enhance or tame and I am getting nothing. Posting in here as he has sp1000 and se100 which i have and both of his devices and mine do not have eq systems that are functioning.

The EQ works! Sure.
But, it does not respond at set value.
Much lower than.

May be A&K engineers has considered and intend to do it. It is a safe idea to not allow eq to change too much in sound that can make worse sq for who not so to be familiar with eq, especially Peq.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,530 of 9,409
Astell&Kern uses a passive EQ as opposed to active EQ used by other manufacturers. Active EQ does require an amplification after the audio signal processing. This can be done in one of two ways - by adjusting the output levels, but it would limit the audio output power to less than what the device can actually deliver at its max. The other option is to put an additional amp in after the main Op Amp, and that is very hard to do in such a small space within a DAP. At the same time, the amplification of Active EQ may add greater possibility of coloration or distortion, which we want to avoid at all cost. That’s why we chose a passive EQ so that users can make proper tonal adjustment with the least deviation from the original sound.

A&K’s incremental EQ settings in A&K are very ,very subtle (0.1dB +/-) because we expect our listeners are only looking for finer adjustment as you engage in your music listening. You will not find a 10 db+ adjustment on any of our players. If you are looking for a drastic EQ change, then Astell&Kern DAPs are not for you.

Astell&Kern has always had the philosophy of bringing the most accurate reproduction of sound like it was recorded in the studio, without alteration. That does not mean the music will sound better with Astell&Kern players. Instead, all of our devices aim to reveal every detail present in the digital music files, no matter if the performances are beautiful or disappointing, so that we can leave the judgement of the recording with you rather than pulling the wool over your ears. Astell&Kern does not believe in digitally altering the sound which is also why we do not provide DSP or digital filters on our players. Fans of Astell&Kern purchase our products for our unique sound signature which is tuned on the hardware level. We also would never alter that sound signature via a software update. Astell&Kern has never meant to deceive anyone regarding EQ and the passive EQ has been discussed many times over the last 6 years on the AK Head-Fi forums, on social media, in previous reviews and when we meet people at shows. If you are looking for a DAP that you can digitally alter the sound, an Astell&Kern DAP may not be the correct fit for you.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 31, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #3,532 of 9,409
Astell&Kern uses a passive EQ as opposed to active EQ used by other manufacturers. Active EQ does require an amplification after the audio signal processing. This can be done in one of two ways - by adjusting the output levels, but it would limit the audio output power to less than what the device can actually deliver at its max. The other option is to put an additional amp in after the main Op Amp, and that is very hard to do in such a small space within a DAP. At the same time, the amplification of Active EQ may add greater possibility of coloration or distortion, which we want to avoid at all cost. That’s why we chose a passive EQ so that users can make proper tonal adjustment with the least deviation from the original sound.

A&K’s incremental EQ settings in A&K are very ,very subtle (0.1dB +/-) because we expect our listeners are only looking for finer adjustment as you engage in your music listening. You will not find a 10 db+ adjustment on any of our players. If you are looking for a drastic EQ change, then Astell&Kern DAPs are not for you.

Astell&Kern has always had the philosophy of bringing the most accurate reproduction of sound like it was recorded in the studio, without alteration. That does not mean the music will sound better with Astell&Kern players. Instead, all of our devices aim to reveal every detail present in the digital music files, no matter if the performances are beautiful or disappointing, so that we can leave the judgement of the recording with you rather than pulling the wool over your ears. Astell&Kern does not believe in digitally altering the sound which is also why we do not provide DSP or digital filters on our players. Fans of Astell&Kern purchase our products for our unique sound signature which is tuned on the hardware level. We also would never alter that sound signature via a software update. Astell&Kern has never meant to deceive anyone regarding EQ and the passive EQ has been discussed many times over the last 6 years on the AK Head-Fi forums, on social media, in previous reviews and when we meet people at shows. If you are looking for a DAP that you can digitally alter the sound, an Astell&Kern DAP may not be the correct fit for you.
At last !! well said, lets put this to bed once and for all.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #3,533 of 9,409
I never use eq in any of my daps, if it don't play good whithout it is not worth to me, is a bad design device , all TOTL daps that i had (ak380cu,Lotto paw gold, Sony 1z ) and now the sp1000cu that i have ,the sound is top quality ,of course with diferent sound signatures, i think the AK philosophy is correct

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #3,534 of 9,409

Astell&Kern has always had the philosophy of bringing the most accurate reproduction of sound like it was recorded in the studio, without alteration. That does not mean the music will sound better with Astell&Kern players. Instead, all of our devices aim to reveal every detail present in the digital music files, no matter if the performances are beautiful or disappointing, so that we can leave the judgement of the recording with you rather than pulling the wool over your ears. Astell&Kern does not believe in digitally altering the sound which is also why we do not provide DSP or digital filters on our players. Fans of Astell&Kern purchase our products for our unique sound signature which is tuned on the hardware level. We also would never alter that sound signature via a software update. Astell&Kern has never meant to deceive anyone regarding EQ and the passive EQ has been discussed many times over the last 6 years on the AK Head-Fi forums, on social media, in previous reviews and when we meet people at shows. If you are looking for a DAP that you can digitally alter the sound, an Astell&Kern DAP may not be the correct fit for you.[/QUOT

It's so subtle that most owners don't even hear any differences. What about the gapless function? It never seems to work at all.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #3,535 of 9,409
Thanks Jason for your input, again glad to have an AK voice on these forums.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,536 of 9,409

edited pending resolution

If I can return I am out of this topic and on my way. If not see you all soon here and YT

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3,537 of 9,409
many years now I'm expecting/requesting for crossfader option : from 0 seconde to 15 secondes.
Could A&K add that function in the probably coming firmware ?
thanks

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #3,538 of 9,409
While I would like a cross-fader function as well, it doesn't seem likely that it will be implemented. AK just seems to keeps its firmware lean and mean and clean. And after reading what Jason posted, that seems to be the mission statement. It will give us the best sound possible without a lot of frills or extras. There are plenty of other manufacturers that provide those sorts of things, and that is the market that they cater to. AK seems to just want to do the one thing it does so well. Can't fault them for that. I've had three so far and they just keep getting better.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #3,539 of 9,409
@JasonNYC I'm curious, does Astell & Kern have any plans to load Qobuz on their devices in the near future? Qobuz is targetting a US launch later this year and that sublime plus 24-bit streaming plan seemed intriguing. I believe A&K DAPs were compatible with Qobuz in the past. So will you look to support Qobuz close to the US launch?

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,540 of 9,409
@JasonNYC I'm curious, does Astell & Kern have any plans to load Qobuz on their devices in the near future? Qobuz is targetting a US launch later this year and that sublime plus 24-bit streaming plan seemed intriguing. I believe A&K DAPs were compatible with Qobuz in the past. So will you look to support Qobuz close to the US launch?
We are looking into it. You are correct, we did support Qobuz on previous gen players but dropped it when they were talking about folding the service a few years ago. Now that they are back and expanding, it is something we are interested in. We do not have a timeframe or confirmation at this time that we will support Qobuz on our players.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back