New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,496 of 9,406
I only wish I could speak Japanese as well as you speak English! Yes, optical is a good option, but most AK DAPs have optical out and since optical is digital, there is no reason why optical from SP1000 would be any better from say an AK70. Another positive about optical is that you can still charge your DAP while playing.

In theory yes, but try yourself. If you do, you might be surprised (at least I was). I personally preferred the optical output of AK380Cu over SP1000SS with Hugo 2. This is not a statement about the quality of their optical outputs, which is good for both DAPs, but their tonality is quite different. SP1000's USB and Toslink sounded the same, imo.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3,497 of 9,406
you can still charge your DAP while playing. Yes,it's a very good point. And in my experience, optical output of SP1000 is stable, never fail to find DACs.
It may be different one by one, but my SP1000SS's USB output sometimes fail to connect to DACs. My SP1000CP is not so bad.
And some 'audiophile grade' expensive usb cables sound quite funny. To my ears, the sound feels strange , but many Japanese youngs like them.
To avoid such cables, I always set the optical input as standard. The sound of usb input should not be so different from optical input.
Again, sorry for my poor English.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #3,498 of 9,406
Some here have claimed that the transport can affect the sound. I don't really see how having either an AK70 or an SP1000 will change the sound (it WILL change what you have in your wallet plenty!), but this is Head-Fi so whatever.
I am in agreement with you on this. I am not quite sure how there would be a difference as they should both be just transmitting the digital data over either optical or usb. Only difference would be the sample rates that they are capable of. The Hugo would be doing all of the decoding. I am more than happy with the sound quality of the SP1000 if anything I can see the need for an amp but I am finally done upgrading for the foreseeable future. Plenty of power on tap for my LCD-X and Roxannes. If I need extra power I am happy using the IDSD BL as an amp with the analog out of the SP1000.

Who knows what the future holds looking at the Utopia or Tia Fourté. Might need an amp for the utopia if I go that way but I am holding off until axpona next year to see if anything catches my ear.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #3,499 of 9,406
As seen, some claim the transport makes a difference. But if you are happy with your SP1000SS, I can't see a reason to plug it into a Hugo. It's as top-of-the-line as you can get, so why add more to it? Along with my Zeus, I am at the place of not wanting or needing to upgrade. the problem with this hobby is that people are never happy with what they have, and are always looking for better, whatever that means. If you can appreciate what you have, and it meets your needs, then stick with it.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #3,500 of 9,406
As seen, some claim the transport makes a difference. But if you are happy with your SP1000SS, I can't see a reason to plug it into a Hugo. It's as top-of-the-line as you can get, so why add more to it? Along with my Zeus, I am at the place of not wanting or needing to upgrade. the problem with this hobby is that people are never happy with what they have, and are always looking for better, whatever that means. If you can appreciate what you have, and it meets your needs, then stick with it.
It's human nature to never be satisfied...we're always looking if there is something better and, of course, given time and technology, there will ALWAYS be something better, eventually. Besides, companies stay in business because of this...

CJ
:)

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #3,501 of 9,406
It's human nature to never be satisfied...we're always looking if there is something better and, of course, given time and technology, there will ALWAYS be something better, eventually. Besides, companies stay in business because of this...

CJ
:)
I've been going through a period of enforced "end-game" where I can't afford to participate in the hobby much. It's good to be reminded sometimes that the gear we do have is already pretty dang amazing.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #3,502 of 9,406
I'm sure eventually something else will come along but, given my desired sound signature and UI needs, the SP1000SS and EE ZeusXR have gotten me to where I'm happy and not looking to upgrade. At this point, the only limitation is the quality of my sound files. Poorly recorded or mastered files can be a bit aggravating on a system that is revealing and detailed but unforgiving.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #3,503 of 9,406
I'm sure eventually something else will come along but, given my desired sound signature and UI needs, the SP1000SS and EE ZeusXR have gotten me to where I'm happy and not looking to upgrade.
I find it terribly easy to imagine being satisfied with a system like yours olddude! Yet still, our level of satisfaction with what we have may be heavily based on psychological factors. After all there are millions of people out there walking around with iPods and Apple Earbuds who are perfectly contented, along with audiophiles with $100k+ systems who are unsatisfied. They say happiness is a choice, and we may grow to love or hate our systems for reasons that say more about us than the systems themselves.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,504 of 9,406
The trick is to fool yourself/convince yourself you are where you want to be. Audiophile insanity and drugs are very similar- always looking for the best high. For the 98% of the music I listen to, what I have is as near perfection as I want to get. I got a Phantom to go along with the Zeus for when I needed a warmer sound, but discovered having something that expensive for (relatively) a few albums wasn't worth it and sold it. Chasing the dragon is fun, but I've given up the chase. At least for now.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,505 of 9,406
The trick is to fool yourself/convince yourself you are where you want to be. Audiophile insanity and drugs are very similar- always looking for the best high. For the 98% of the music I listen to, what I have is as near perfection as I want to get. I got a Phantom to go along with the Zeus for when I needed a warmer sound, but discovered having something that expensive for (relatively) a few albums wasn't worth it and sold it. Chasing the dragon is fun, but I've given up the chase. At least for now.

I recently realized the same, I purchased a set of the Massdrop Jubilees, I thought a set of Senn HDXXX for a buck and a half was a no brainer. After spending a few day breaking them in and listening, I turned my attention back to my A18 and realized what they hell am I wasting my time listening to the Jubilees when the A18T sound incredible. The very next day I sold them.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,506 of 9,406
Good day folks!

I finally took the dive and got myself a sp1000 today. I noticed after charging it up the battery would stay at 100% for approx an hour and then decrease as per usual. Is this normal? If not are there ways to rectify this issue? Thanks!

Dave

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,507 of 9,406
Good day folks!

I finally took the dive and got myself a sp1000 today. I noticed after charging it up the battery would stay at 100% for approx an hour and then decrease as per usual. Is this normal? If not are there ways to rectify this issue? Thanks!

Dave
I have experienced the same issue with mine as well. Interested to see if others are experiencing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back