New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #258 of 9,406
I rather have a larger DAP similar to the Casstte Walkman, it doesn't matter, give me a chunky battery, good power supply with a lot of muscularity into amping, and that would be a proper portable player....but hell no, they are all trying to be compact.....and small....and thinner.....whatever

Yup I hear you. I would not mind even bigger than that. I only really need the amp when driving full size cans. If I am traveling I use buds. it not like I am going on a plane with a set of full size cans. I just want something I can use on my deck or about the house.

Guess I do alike AK's approach here - small and portable when space is an issue. but pre-amp mode when you need it. we just have to wait for an AMP!! hopefully we may see a change in direction to amping. something tells me it wont be cheep, but at 3500 for the player I think the market will support some options.

May 30, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #259 of 9,406
mm..could be better since AK 380 cu supports aptx HD. Unfortunately, my car's head unit is plain vanilla bluetooth. And no line-in in mine.

Well that sucks. Sadly I think the Line in is an endangered option in cars today. thinking out loud the bluetooth signal is probably the digital file with no DAC. it could be that the cars head unit can't handle all the information the AK is sending. This happens with my car USB iPod connection. I have to down convert my hd files for my iPod to 16/44. the cars DAC can not handle 24/44. I use a program called XLD to do this. Try down converting a couple of songs to see if it is any better. its probably worth an experiment

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #260 of 9,406
Hey guys Sound Difference Between SS and Copper version.
I realize few have made comparisons yet, but is AK saying casings making different signatures or is a different in wireing materials?

I know this year be a subjected question as sound is matter of taste. And some are buying for astectics. Can someone elaborate more,,
What color suited for gerue

Boy us newbies lol
Thx

May 31, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #261 of 9,406
Hey guys Sound Difference Between SS and Copper version.
I realize few have made comparisons yet, but is AK saying casings making different signatures or is a different in wireing materials?

I know this year be a subjected question as sound is matter of taste. And some are buying for astectics. Can someone elaborate more,,
What color suited for gerue

Boy us newbies lol
Thx
Hi, I didn't want your question to continue going unanswered, but I may not be the best person to answer it lol.
I'll do my best, but bear in mind I'm only reporting what I've heard on this thread and one other - and all this is from memory so could contain factual errors lol
Always read the small print :p

Ok, so, it seems the feedback is that the differences are subtle, not 'night and day'.
The Copper version is slightly more organic, warm and natural sounding.
The Stainless Steel version is slightly more reference/neutral and detailed.

Another piece of feedback worth bearing in mind is that the IEM's or headphones you use with it will also have an effect.
So if you have a slightly warm, organic sounding IEM, and you pair it with the Stainless Steel one, overall you'd probably get a good balanced sound signature.
Whereas if you paired that IEM with the Copper version, you might end up with a sound signature that was slightly *too* warm, organic etc.

If others want to chime in or correct me or whatever, please do!

If you're willing to buy both for me, I would be happy to test and compare them carefully, over a perdiod of several months, and report my findings :wink:
For the team, obviously :p

Seriously, hope this all helps though. If you live near somewhere where you can listen to them (shop, CanJam, other Head-Fi member who has one, etc), then that's one of the best ways, especially since how it sounds to you may well be different to how it sounds to me.
All the best :)

May 31, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #263 of 9,406
Thank you this helps, appreciate info,and taking time to answer questions as I'm new to dap game.
If you're new to the DAP game, you've chosen a hell of a way to start your hobby with this $4k DAP.
Go hard or go home, haha :D

May 31, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #265 of 9,406
Loved my Sony 1Z so much...the SP1000 better impressed the 'ell out of me for me to part near $3.5K for it

May 31, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #268 of 9,406
I have the Kann right now love it, but sp1000 calling my name,

2017-01-13-18-58-01--2129185967.jpeg

May 31, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #269 of 9,406
Loved my Sony 1Z so much...the SP1000 better impressed the 'ell out of me for me to part near $3.5K for it

Then get a real desktop dac/amp unit. $3.5K from a portable will never get you there and I have the 1Z.

May 31, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #270 of 9,406
Here is a nice unboxing video, really nice presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back