New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #8,356 of 9,409
SP1000 unfolds and renders to the iem. It only unfolds to the usb. It can pass the full unfolded and unrendered mqa out the usb to a mqa approved dac if software unfolding is off. Unfolding will give 88 or 96 for compatibility. Rendering then filters and presents it in it’s mastered bit rate 44 to 384 or higher possibly.

how about sp1k as a usb dac? meaning as a MQA-renderer dac from tidal desktop app (bypass software unfolding by desktop client). sometime will need laptop as source as wifi receiver is better on that.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #8,357 of 9,409
how about sp1k as a usb dac? meaning as a MQA-renderer dac from tidal desktop app (bypass software unfolding by desktop client). sometime will need laptop as source as wifi receiver is better on that.
As a dac only there is no MQA unfold or render in my experience. @JasonNYC may confirm.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #8,358 of 9,409
Your laptop won't provide a fast charge for the SPK. I'm partial to Anker brand quick chargers, like this one.
The Samsung fast charge ones are reliable for me.

Thank you so much for helping. Looks like I would have to get an extra charging brick as I use mainly apple and I dont think they support fast charging.

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #8,360 of 9,409
Guys my sp1000 charges very slowly... I am using a Nintendo Switch charger to charge it, is this why its so slow? Is there a third party fast charger I can get? Btw what colors are the amps in... I have a Lack stainless steel version and I don't know if there's an amp with the corresponding color?

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #8,361 of 9,409
Guys my sp1000 charges very slowly... I am using a Nintendo Switch charger to charge it, is this why its so slow? Is there a third party fast charger I can get? Btw what colors are the amps in... I have a Lack stainless steel version and I don't know if there's an amp with the corresponding color?

Try to use a fast charger with the SP1000, I use my Samsung one and it charges faster than usual.
The AMPs come in onyx black, stainless steel and copper.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #8,362 of 9,409
Try to use a fast charger with the SP1000, I use my Samsung one and it charges faster than usual.
The AMPs come in onyx black, stainless steel and copper.
thanks!

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #8,363 of 9,409
Anyone noticing sound distortion on sp1000m at high volumes > 125 ? This happens with either the balanced 2.5mm or single ended 3.5mm outputs

When using USB Audio out to other DAC, I don’t have any distortion on the same tracks, listening with the same iems.

I’m running the latest fw version 1.52 and I’m sure this didn’t happen on previously versions.

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #8,364 of 9,409
Anyone noticing sound distortion on sp1000m at high volumes > 125 ? This happens with either the balanced 2.5mm or single ended 3.5mm outputs

When using USB Audio out to other DAC, I don’t have any distortion on the same tracks, listening with the same iems.

I’m running the latest fw version 1.52 and I’m sure this didn’t happen on previously versions.

Is that on high gain or low gain?
You can try switching to low gain via enabling EQ settings.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #8,365 of 9,409
Is that on high gain or low gain?
You can try switching to low gain via enabling EQ settings.

I typically don't use EQ and had it disabled. Once Enabled, I see a "Normal" profile created where I can't do much. Creating my own profile, I have a Gain setting, set to 0.0 that I can place higher or lower, didn't see any High/Low but wouldn't like to mess with it actually, because I want to run ED disabled.

In any case, I'm almost sure the previous FW didn't exhibit this. Do anyone has fw v1.41 for sp1000m you can share?

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #8,366 of 9,409
I typically don't use EQ and had it disabled. Once Enabled, I see a "Normal" profile created where I can't do much. Creating my own profile, I have a Gain setting, set to 0.0 that I can place higher or lower, didn't see any High/Low but wouldn't like to mess with it actually, because I want to run ED disabled.

In any case, I'm almost sure the previous FW didn't exhibit this. Do anyone has fw v1.41 for sp1000m you can share?

Enabling EQ settings automatically sets the output to low gain, I just wanted to see if low gain for your IEMs solves the distortion issues you were having.

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #8,369 of 9,409
125 on iems? I'm at 60, never go above 70. Have you got hard-to-drive iems or just like it really loud?

I'm guessing he has high impedance ones, 50-60 was where I was at on my SP1000 and SP1000m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back