New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #6,136 of 9,409
and here is another surprise for those who are thinking about selling their SP1000, new SP1000 add-on amp module:

A new amplifier module for the SP1000 will also debut at the High End 2019 Show. The Astell&Kern SP1000 AMP delivers high gain balanced 10 Vrms and unbalanced 6.2 Vrms output, providing more power to drive more power-hungry headphones. The SP1000 AMP docks with the SP1000 player to provide a one-piece, seamless device for charging and volume control, unlike using a separate amplifier which requires additional cables and controls. Equipped with a 3,700mA battery, the SP1000 AMP supports continuous music playback of up to 9 hours. The SP1000 AMP will retail for $800 and will be available in June 2019.

Interesting business model. Invent a groundbreaking accessory and obsoleting it on the same day. I hope it’ll be compatible with the sp2000.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #6,137 of 9,409
As just announced by A&K: SP2000

The SP2000 is the latest portable player from the Astell&Kern A&ultima line that integrates the latest flagship Asahi Kasei DACs, the AKM AK4499EQ. The SP2000 features two AK4499EQ DACs, arranged in a dual-mono configuration to provide a wider soundstage and better stereo separation. The SP2000 is the first Astell&Kern player to use separate, independent audio channels between the Unbalanced and Balanced outputs. This design offers much more power than ever before, with 6Vrms for Balanced output and 3Vrms for Unbalanced output and offers the ultimate audio experience as Astell&Kern’s newest flagship player.

The SP2000 supports up to 32-bit/768KHz bit-to-bit playback of high resolution PCM audio and native playback of DSD up to DSD512. It also features an Octa-Core CPU, a 5-inch touchscreen, 512GB of internal memory (double of previous Astell&Kern players), MQA support (pending final testing and certification) and dual-band Wi-Fi with a stereo antenna, for improved network performance when streaming music. The A&ultima SP2000 will be available in Stainless Steel and Copper bodies with a unique crown pattern volume/power wheel.

NativeDSD Music specially produced the "NativeDSD Presents: 5 Tracks in DSD 512" sampler to demo on the SP2000 at High End Munich. NativeDSD.com provides listeners a top-quality resource for DSD, DXD and Analog-to-DSD Music in Stereo & Multichannel channel configurations, directly from record labels and engineers making these recordings. They share Astell&Kern’s goal of getting you as close to the actual performance as possible.

The A&ultima SP2000 will be available in July 2019 for $3,500.

Twister, I’m waiting for your blog review to see if it’s worth upgrading or skipping:) :alarm_clock::calendar_spiral::clock:

May 7, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #6,138 of 9,409
Interesting business model. Invent a groundbreaking accessory and obsoleting it on the same day. I hope it’ll be compatible with the sp2000.

SPK is not being discontinued, and I'm sure either current owners who are keeping it or the freshly minted 2nd hand owners who want to boost output power will buy it. I'm sure there is market for it. I'm personally curious since I assume SP1000 external AMP will bypass the internal SP1000 headamp (docking connection will probably have LO going into SP1000 AMP). So, perhaps you are not only boosting the power but also changing the tonality. Who knows, but I'm looking forward to both, testing/reviewing SP2000 and SP1000 AMP.

May 7, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #6,139 of 9,409
The only thing that I am left wanting now is a dock for the sp1000 or the sp2000. Either way the power is more than welcome.

Will the amp work with the sp2000? If so that would be a big plus.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #6,142 of 9,409
The only thing that I am left wanting now is a dock for the sp1000 or the sp2000. Either way the power is more than welcome.

Will the amp work with the sp2000? If so that would be a big plus.
From AK website:
"Made Only for the SP10000

An Amplifier module designed specifically for the SP1000 to drive full-sized, high-impedance headphones.

The SP1000 AMP offers High Gain output of 10Vrms for Balanced output and 6.2Vrms for Unbalanced output.
The modular design fits perfectly with your SP1000.

The SP1000 AMP adds more power and performance for your SP1000. "

May 8, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #6,143 of 9,409
Twister, I’m waiting for your blog review to see if it’s worth upgrading or skipping:) :alarm_clock::calendar_spiral::clock:

Not worth upgrading IMO. The SP2000 is really a MINOR upgrade to the SP1000. After 3 years we were expecting much better from A&K. Beware A&K, the competition is not going to let you rest...

May 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #6,144 of 9,409
"Judge no book by it's cover"... it's been said.

The wonderful news (after 2 yrs) of a new SP2000 flagship premiering and already the nay sayers will say- not worth upgrading!

Well, I thought this whole business of audio is suppose to be about, what does it sound like (?)

Yeah, we have some specs of what they (A&K) improved in the design & implementation of the SP2000 along with some photos of the aesthetically new case.

The msrp of the new SP2000 looks to be the same as a current SP1000 and that isn't a deterrent like all the other ubiquitous launches of (other) new product in our world... thank you A&K!

So, having said all that... I'll just bask in the excitement for awhile of this announcement and really look forward to hearing what improvements A&K has brought about in they're latest design.

Let's not pre-judge this DAP before our little ears have the opportunity to actually hear what differences this new device can yield for our pure listening pleasure... make sense?

May 8, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #6,145 of 9,409
"Judge no book by it's cover"... it's been said.

The wonderful news (after 2 yrs) of a new SP2000 flagship premiering and already the nay sayers will say- not worth upgrading!

Well, I thought this whole business of audio is suppose to be about, what does it sound like (?)

Yeah, we have some specs of what they (A&K) improved in the design & implementation of the SP2000 along with some photos of the aesthetically new case.

The msrp of the new SP2000 looks to be the same as a current SP1000 and that isn't a deterrent like all the other ubiquitous launches of (other) new product in our world... thank you A&K!

So, having said all that... I'll just bask in the excitement for awhile of this announcement and really look forward to hearing what improvements A&K has brought about in they're latest design.

Let's not pre-judge this DAP before our little ears have the opportunity to actually hear what differences this new device can yield for our pure listening pleasure... make sense?
Hear, hear! As soon as I saw it, I knew I was going to get the 2000cu! I think it is a glorious day in the universe!

May 8, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #6,147 of 9,409
Wished that they could have made the back plate of the sp1000 amp to be either copper or stainless steel like the ak300 series amp instead of black...

May 8, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #6,150 of 9,409
Hmmm sp2000 is heavier than the 1000 and has worse battery life. Interesting.
Also charging time is a tiny bit (25%) longer.

I look forward to try it soon and do a proper A/B with my 1kCu ..but I will order the SP1000 AMP as soon as it is available, just in case. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back