New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #571 of 9,406
I myself have mentioned in the AK380 dedicated thread, that AK's balanced implementations on the 380 had it's short comings and I myself would rather use the single ended. So that doesn't apply here.
But that doesnt mean that Chord couldn't add balanced, maybe because they don't have the real estate on their Hugo's foot print.
Also balanced generally sounds better at least in every single high end gear I've owned.

Chord believes their implementation does not require balanced. That's the reason they don't include it and they've expressed that the balanced output on the DAVE and HugoTT are worse sounding than the RCA SE output, regarding transparency. They've posted about this quite a few times in the Chord threads. Just relaying what they've said. Not taking sides here. It's a choice from them, not anything to do with a limitation.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #575 of 9,406
The SP1000 is in no way underpowered. Period. Driving my HD800's right now like nobody's business. It's loud just doesn't make my ears bleed. And I agree with Dionysus, the comparison is ridiculous.
Unfortunately, on its single ended output, I felt that it was as underpowered as AK's past DAPs. When I tested the HD800, the SP1000 had to be cranked to full volume. Sure, it sounded awesome, but if you're going to be running hard-to-drive cans or IEMs, you'll probably need to go balanced, or lend the use of an external amp.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #576 of 9,406
Unfortunately, on its single ended output, I felt that it was as underpowered as AK's past DAPs. When I tested the HD800, the SP1000 had to be cranked to full volume. Sure, it sounded awesome, but if you're going to be running hard-to-drive cans or IEMs, you'll probably need to go balanced, or lend the use of an external amp.
Wait for its add on amp.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #577 of 9,406
where do you see trade in? I cant see on astell and kern site. thanks.

Again, the price i quoted in my previous post is for return custormers only. If you haven't purchased from them, the price will be different, not very good IMO. Even for return customers, not cheap! Please refer to my prior post for pricing. Sorry, when I told this info to the last person inquiring, I haven't heard anything back so I figured that person didn't like the price or wasn't interested anymore. I will PM you with the link, since I don't have their permission to post their info in public. Trying to be a decent citizen like all of us here.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #578 of 9,406
I myself have mentioned in the AK380 dedicated thread, that AK's balanced implementations on the 380 had it's short comings and I myself would rather use the single ended. So that doesn't apply here.
But that doesnt mean that Chord couldn't add balanced, maybe because they don't have the real estate on their Hugo's foot print.
Also balanced generally sounds better at least in every single high end gear I've owned.

Ok I'll leave it at that then. I won't keep knocking on the door if no one is home.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #579 of 9,406
Ok I'll leave it at that then. I won't keep knocking on the door if no one is home.
yes, please don't, the one knocking cant understand he has the wrong address.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #580 of 9,406
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #581 of 9,406

Wait for its add on amp.

I agree with you both, Malevolent, yes I was referencing the sound coming from balanced out...good point on the single ended, it does need a boost. When they release the amp, I'm totally buying it and yes it will weigh 12 pounds when added buy hey...feels like quality right lol...

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #583 of 9,406
I am looking forward reading battery life tests when playing music from an external SSD. I hope battery life is not dramaticaly reduced

--> We really need to find the lowest power external SSD drive that works with USB-C OTG of the SP1000 !
Any ideas ?

Capture d’écran 2017-06-26 à 17.45.46.png

Attachments

• AK SP1000 SSD.png
    AK SP1000 SSD.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #584 of 9,406
I agree with you both, Malevolent, yes I was referencing the sound coming from balanced out...good point on the single ended, it does need a boost. When they release the amp, I'm totally buying it and yes it will weigh 12 pounds when added buy hey...feels like quality right lol...
Well, think about it this way - with the SS amp, you could get an arm workout while listening to your music. 2 for 1. :joy:

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #585 of 9,406
I am looking forward reading battery life tests when playing music from an external SSD. I hope battery life is not dramaticaly reduced

--> We really need to find the lowest power external SSD drive that works with USB-C OTG of the SP1000 !
Any ideas ?

A lot will depend on if the tracks are loaded into RAM while playing. You should be able to tell if there is an activity LED on the drive enclosure. SSD drives consume about 2.5W while reading/writing so it will not last very long if the files are not cached in RAM. I don't think you are going to get much power variance in SSD drives themselves. Unfortunately the race is for performance and not so much on power consumption. Will be very curious how your real work test comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back