New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #556 of 9,406
I quite like the design as well, especially that blue one.

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #557 of 9,406
I really don't like that deign, more sobre would have been nice.
Do you mean a more straight forward design, less pieces of leather making up the case, less angles?

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #559 of 9,406
Jun 25, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #560 of 9,406
Has anyone compared the SP1000 to the Mojo or Hugo?

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #561 of 9,406
Changes to the 20 band parametric EQ is very subtle, as it can make very fine adjustments to the sound. Even though changes cannot be audibly heard, the changes are there when heard and analyzed by professionals such as mastering engineers and producers.

The SP1000 is compatible with any generic headphone amplifier, provided it is connected to the amp using the right cables/interconnects. An amp specific to the SP1000 isn’t available just yet, but we hope to have it launched soon. Please stay tuned to our email blasts, website, and social media pages for the latest updates and product news!
Wow, that sounds like one dismissive, condescending reply. So the EQ's only supposed to be used by audio professionals? Then why include it at all?

In any case, the SP1000 is, like every other AK player (save the KANN), underpowered. When auditioning the HD800, the SP1000 was at full volume (150), whilst the Hugo was only halfway through its volume spectrum. With IEMs, the SP1000 is definitely sufficient; with big cans, you'll definitely need a separate amp.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #562 of 9,406
Wow, that sounds like one dismissive, condescending reply. So the EQ's only supposed to be used by audio professionals? Then why include it at all?

In any case, the SP1000 is, like every other AK player (save the KANN), underpowered. When auditioning the HD800, the SP1000 was at full volume (150), whilst the Hugo was only halfway through its volume spectrum. With IEMs, the SP1000 is definitely sufficient; with big cans, you'll definitely need a separate amp.
They should have included or give for free the amplifier to get more customers.
Probably the amplifier again it will not be enough for hard to drive headphones and the whole package will be $4000+
Hugo 2 definitely is a different beast, that has plenty of power for all the headphones and i know, is a DAC not a music player but many should consider it and give it a try if they want high quality sound.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #563 of 9,406
I don't understand the analogy with Hugo? Hugo is not a music player last time I checked. And though impressive for sure, it also has it short comings. Like I don't like the fact Hugo doesn't have a balanced out.
I do feel SP1000 may very well be somewhat underpowered but it is a portable, they did address output on balanced which is double what the previous flagship had.

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #564 of 9,406
The SP1000 is in no way underpowered. Period. Driving my HD800's right now like nobody's business. It's loud just doesn't make my ears bleed. And I agree with Dionysus, the comparison is ridiculous.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #565 of 9,406
I remember reading in someone's post that the balanced output on the ak380 had some technical problems. And, one of the reviews I read stated that the balanced out on the ak380 sounded like a $500 phone. Has anyone else heard or experienced anything regarding this statement?

To be honest, I cannot tell much sonic difference between the single ended or balanced on my ak380cu like I do on my other equipment.

Is the balanced output on the sp1000 noticeably better than the se? I am guessing slightly louder since they increased the juice.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #566 of 9,406
I don't understand the analogy with Hugo? Hugo is not a music player last time I checked. And though impressive for sure, it also has it short comings. Like I don't like the fact Hugo doesn't have a balanced out.

Why fix a problem they dont have? on cheaper devices use balanced out to mask the issues sure.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #567 of 9,406
I remember reading in someone's post that the balanced output on the ak380 had some technical problems. And, one of the reviews I read stated that the balanced out on the ak380 sounded like a $500 phone. Has anyone else heard or experienced anything regarding this statement?

To be honest, I cannot tell much sonic difference between the single ended or balanced on my ak380cu like I do on my other equipment.

Is the balanced output on the sp1000 noticeably better than the se? I am guessing slightly louder since they increased the juice.

Yes, I waited for a balanced cable for the HD800 when I got it there was a very noticeable difference in the SP1000

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #569 of 9,406
Just like their standard cases, less bling, less pieces yes. But that is just my taste.
I agree I would love that as well, looking forward to hopefully getting some AK dedicated cases in various colors.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #570 of 9,406
Why fix a problem they dont have? on cheaper devices use balanced out to mask the issues sure.
I myself have mentioned in the AK380 dedicated thread, that AK's balanced implementations on the 380 had it's short comings and I myself would rather use the single ended. So that doesn't apply here.
But that doesnt mean that Chord couldn't add balanced, maybe because they don't have the real estate on their Hugo's foot print.
Also balanced generally sounds better at least in every single high end gear I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back