New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #1,846 of 9,409
I just received my SP1000 today. I was hoping that this would be a better fit for me than the Sony WM1A/Z. I haven't even listened to it for 1 hour and I'm ready to return it. That is unless it is determined that the one I got is defective. First up is the volume wheel. Mine is very loose and wobbly. I am a machinist and this drives my crazy. The machine work on the rest of the player is top notch, but the wheel is awful. Are they all like this, or is mine missing a bushing? I can't imagine that this is how it was designed. Next up is the equalizer. This is very important to me as all my phones require compensation in one area or another. When the equalizer is engaged, the overall volume level is reduced at least 5dB. Playing DSD files disables the EQ (as expected), so if I am listening to some FLAC files with the EQ on and a DSD song comes along, it can become painfully loud instantly. The EQ is poorly implemented and is inexcusable at this price level. The EQ on the Sony works flawlessly, but they do a terrible job of managing presets. Next up is the chopping off .5 seconds or so at the beginning of songs. This happens with many songs regardless of format. It seems to be worse when gapless is on, but still does it when off. None of these same songs are chopped off on the Sony. If these problems are unique to my player, I will return it for a replacement. If they are typical, I will return it for a refund. It is a shame, as I prefer the sound of the SP1000 over the Sony, but these "bugs" I just can't tolerate. Not for $3500. I guess I'm stuck with the Sony until something better comes along. I was really hoping this was it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,847 of 9,409
Volume wheel on mine is perfect, and I haven't seen posts here about others having this problem. I have no issue with the first half-second of any song being truncated, haven't seen any other posts about that here, either.

As for EQ, it's pretty-well known that A&K's EQ is not a selling point. If that is the most important thing for you, then the SP1000 is probably not for you.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,848 of 9,409
Volume wheel on mine is perfect, and I haven't seen posts here about others having this problem. I have no issue with the first half-second of any song being truncated, haven't seen any other posts about that here, either.

As for EQ, it's pretty-well known that A&K's EQ is not a selling point. If that is the most important thing for you, then the SP1000 is probably not for you.

So, yours does not do this?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,850 of 9,409
Mine's a bit less than that but there is movement in all directions- which I appreciate, as a bit of give means it's not going to snap off if pushed or pulled on its axis a bit. Doesn't seem "wrong" to me at all. Again, if it bothers you perhaps the device is not for you.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #1,851 of 9,409
Mine's a bit less than that but there is movement in all directions- which I appreciate, as a bit of give means it's not going to snap off if pushed or pulled on its axis a bit. Doesn't seem "wrong" to me at all. Again, if it bothers you perhaps the device is not for you.

Yours is a "bit less than that" and you call it perfect? You are much more tolerant than I am....

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #1,852 of 9,409
Apparently so. Again, I like the "gimbal" effect because it makes me feel that if I push the wheel too firmly there's less chance of its snapping off. This wheel works as both a volume control and an on/off/screen button and it gets a lot of action.

I've had three A&K's and have had nothing but total satisfaction with them. You've had one for a few hours and are not happy with it. You paid $3500 for the device. If it displeases you, return it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #1,853 of 9,409
Apparently so. Again, I like the "gimbal" effect because it makes me feel that if I push the wheel too firmly there's less chance of its snapping off. This wheel works as both a volume control and an on/off/screen button and it gets a lot of action.

I've had three A&K's and have had nothing but total satisfaction with them. You've had one for a few hours and are not happy with it. You paid $3500 for the device. If it displeases you, return it.

Don't assume that I've had "one for a few hours". I have owned many A&K players and still have a 70 & 100 floating around the house. None of them have had a sloppy wheel like this. As a machinist for over 35 years, I can confidently say they there is absolutely no advantage to a sloppy shaft/bore interface. Only disadvantages.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #1,854 of 9,409
Yesterday I tried the SP1000ss and volume wheel was very tight. But yours look really bad, definitely return it or replace it.

Yes, it's really bad. If some are tight and some are wobbly, It's simply a QC issue. This one's going back for sure...

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #1,855 of 9,409
Volume wheel on mine is perfect, and I haven't seen posts here about others having this problem.

If you want we can open a topic on this : I do confirm that the volume wheel on some of the SP1000 is catastrophic. Mine is not good. When I got the dap I finally consider that all were like that with this issue. But if your is perfect so tomorrow morning I’m going to send back my DAP not for refund but for exchange.
Thanks.
Sam

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #1,856 of 9,409
I have an album art problem after upgrading to 1.06.
Before 1.06, when I play songs by choosing folder, the album art could show up correctly.
After 1.06, when I play the songs by choosing folder, the album art could not be shown.
However if I play the song by choosing artist and album, the album art could once again be shown.

I have tried reseting factory default and re-scan the media, the problem still exists.
Am I the only one having this problem?

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,857 of 9,409
I'm having a problem with album names, don't know if it's related to 1.06 as I just started doing this after the update.

Basically I have some albums I realized I want to name differently. Alright, I edit them on my PC and copy them to my SP1000, overwriting the existing tracks. Album name stays the same. I delete the tracks from my SP1000 and copy the edited ones from my PC. I still get the old album name. I perform a full rescan: still get that damn old album name, I can't get the new one to get displayed. Is there some sort of hidden caching which makes the old album names still getting used even if I modify the files?

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,858 of 9,409
So, yours does not do this?

It's not so bad, it's standard for Ultima DAPs. They are a bit loose, I believe it's made specially so it's not stiff and not so easily broken. That's the same for example with your mini-jack input - it has to be a little bit loose, otherwise touching the connector would break the input. As I have done several times with my AK380, by the way. So I wouldn't return it if I were you.

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #1,859 of 9,409
I would live with loose volume wheel, especially with the factory warranty. Top notch sound, that is what matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back