new to the DAC scene
May 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shawnd2030

New Head-Fier
So after lurking about this this site for a few days I have come to realize I need a DAC.  My situation:

For simplicity's sake lets say I only listen to music via the computer, like say
very decent Macbook + 320mp3 -> headphone jack -> "Bose Around-Ear Headphones"

So I have been making a list as I wait to get the DAC.  there are so many that I find making a list a little easier to wrap my head around which one I should get

Here's what I got - (please reply with your disagreements or any obvious ones I am missing)

Best for $100 and under

1. E-MU 0202 (DAC and Amp)
2. NuForce - uDAC (DAC and Amp)

Best for $101 - $200

1. Emu 0404 (DAC + Amp)
2. Musiland Monitor 02 US (DAC and Amp)
3. Firestone Audio Fubar II  (needs an amp)
4. Audinst HUD-MX1 (DAC and Amp)

Best for $300

1. Musical Fidelity V-DAC (needs an amp)
2. Firestone Audio Fubar III (DAC and Amp)

Best for More than $300 but less than $500

1. Audio-gd FUN Version A (needs an amp)
2. Cambridge Audio DacMagic (needs an amp)
3. Apogee Duet Firewire (DAC and Amp)
4. Pico USB (DAC and Amp)
5. Ray Samuels Predator (DAC and Amp)

Best for crazy $$$

1. Benchmark DAC1 USB (DAC and Amp)

Thanks

May 21, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 18
Pretty good list, but a couple of things pop out at me: the Audio GD compass is both an amp and and a DAC....but more importantly it has now been replaced by the audio gd FUN. The only way you will find a compass is used. A DAC is probably going to be a nice improvement over the stock macbook, but I think you could do far better than those Bose headphones too.

May 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 18
You might want to add in the Apogee Duet in the 300-500 list. *Phenomenal* DAC for the price and also has a host of other options that can be really handy (2 inputs/outputs), reasonable headphone out too. The Duet was designed by Apple and Apogee in unison and as such works perfectly with the OS X but keep in mind it won't work with Windows.

May 22, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 18
The Audiophile Products Fubar is actually by Firestone Audio. I thought it was an odd name, googled it and found Amazon have it incorrectly listed after the name of a supplier Audiophile Products in the US.

May 23, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Sorry to highjack this thread but I'm also pretty new to this topic.
currently i have a x-fi elite pro.
Would a lets say a nuforce uDAC be an improvement over my current setup ?
or would I have to invest more ?

May 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 18
shawn: You use Bose.  First thing to consider are better headphones.  Lipstick on a pig and all that. 
smile.gif

May 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 18
I wouldn't say these Bose (tp-1a) are pigs. These are good enough for right now But I agree about needing to upgrade. I can tell I need to upgrade the path out of my laptop but I can't tell I need to upgrade my headphones (yet).

May 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Shawn, don't fall into the Bose are rubbish trap. They make plenty of award winning, excellent sounding products, for a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back