New to Head-Fi, Have a Few Questions
Oct 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 29
Ah alright cool, thanks

Yea I highly recommend taking all your CD's and ripping them as ALAC or FLAC instead of MP3 or other lossy format.

To give you an idea the bit rate of an apple download is 256kbps and most of my ALAC files are over 1000Kbps. The size of a typical apple download is like 7mb whereas my alac files are more like 30mb each!

The good news is it is fast to copy cd's in this format because very little processing needs to be done compared to converting to a lossy format.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
I know i was suprised. Here in hollywood I went in to pick up a sansa clip 25% off and they had the M80 on demo. BYOSource...

frown.gif
Just went to Radioshack, they didn't have them!

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #19 of 29
:frowning2: Just went to Radioshack, they didn't have them!
Sorry bro. They had them at the location 4 blocks from here a couple weeks ago along with several other's like the AT ANC7 (or whatever it's called) and a couple others. They used to have the LP's as well. Go online to the store search and call a few locations near you. I'm sure one of them has to have a similar listening station.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:
Yea I highly recommend taking all your CD's and ripping them as ALAC or FLAC instead of MP3 or other lossy format.
To give you an idea the bit rate of an apple download is 256kbps and most of my ALAC files are over 1000Kbps. The size of a typical apple download is like 7mb whereas my alac files are more like 30mb each!
The good news is it is fast to copy cd's in this format because very little processing needs to be done compared to converting to a lossy format.

I really don't have very many cd's, most of my music has been acquired from other places haha. But does it make that much of a difference? Especially when you don't have the greatest of headphones? Far from it actually, lol.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Sorry bro. They had them at the location 4 blocks from here a couple weeks ago along with several other's like the AT ANC7 (or whatever it's called) and a couple others. They used to have the LP's as well. Go online to the store search and call a few locations near you. I'm sure one of them has to have a similar listening station.

I saw the AT ANC7 but didn't bother to try them, any good?

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
Dont bother.... Garbage imo. Even The skullcandies in there blew those away....

Gotcha. Must've been weird for the employee's, seeing a 13 year old go in and ask if they had V-Moda's
biggrin.gif
. Now I have to go to Sony Store and ask for the MDR-1R's; parents won't go though.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
I've been looking through some posts and saw someone posting about apple lossless format, what exactly is that? Oh and does the music player you use on android make a difference?

The music player on android has a slight effect on the sq, on my sgs2 I prefer meridian music player or poweramp as they support flac and have some eq settings. However, unless you have a voodoo'd samsung galaxy s1 with the wolfson chip the sq on android phones is horrid. I tried it out for a while, and really wanted it to work out. I'd hook up my grados or rezeroes to my sgs2 and play flac through poweramp with some eq and it just never sounded any good to me. I ended up just getting a clip+ and sticking rockbox on it and I'd never go back, it is truly unbelievable how good the sq, and form factor is for about 30 dollars.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
The music player on android has a slight effect on the sq, on my sgs2 I prefer meridian music player or poweramp as they support flac and have some eq settings. However, unless you have a voodoo'd samsung galaxy s1 with the wolfson chip the sq on android phones is horrid. I tried it out for a while, and really wanted it to work out. I'd hook up my grados or rezeroes to my sgs2 and play flac through poweramp with some eq and it just never sounded any good to me. I ended up just getting a clip+ and sticking rockbox on it and I'd never go back, it is truly unbelievable how good the sq, and form factor is for about 30 dollars.

Ah ok, I have a GS3. They haven't sounded too bad to me, then again I'm new to this whole thing and don't have a good set of cans (yet). A sansa clip?

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #26 of 29
Hmm It looks like some of the SGS3s have good dac chips, which one do you have?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351689850&sr=8-2&keywords=sansa+clip%2B

That's a sansa clip, if you put rockbox in it it sounds amazing.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
Hmm It looks like some of the SGS3s have good dac chips, which one do you have?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351689850&sr=8-2&keywords=sansa+clip%2B

That's a sansa clip, if you put rockbox in it it sounds amazing.

It's a 16 gb on at&t, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Ah ok, I've heard some good things about rockbox

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #29 of 29
Neutron music player on Android has the best SQ of all the apps, its not the nicest looking or easiest to use, but most agree that in terms of SQ its the best. I love it, the EQ + Flac and high bitrate support is great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back