New to canalphones/IEMs - should I even bother?
Sep 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

luke2112

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi'ers,

I am looking at making my first canalphone/IEM purchase, however I am hesitant at buying any brand or model for one reason: comfort.

I have a set of Koss KSC75, which I find very comfortable, and a set of Audio Technica AD900, which I find very, very comfortable, but I also have a set of IEMs that came with my Dell laptop - they look very much like Sennheiser CX300's:

The overall diameter of the 'silver bit' is about 11mm. The overall diameter of the 'stem bit' (the part covered by the silicon tip) is about 5mm, and the length is about 6mm. I am using the smallest silicon tips and they are about 8mm long, and 8mm in diameter. Sorry to the imperial measurement folk, and for my awkward terminologies (I'm sort of referring to IEMs/canalphones/earphones as the same thing here), but I would guess these would be considered 'small' IEMs?

Compared to the KSC75 and AD900 I have, these are very uncomfortable. (Incidentally, no surprise that soundwise the KSC75 and AD900 leave them for dead too. These IEMs have thin, tinny mids and highs, and boomy bass, but I'm most interested in fit/comfort).

I must have small ear canals, but even with the smallest tips I find these fairly awkward to insert and cause discomfort after only maybe 10 minutes of use.

I wanted something a little more low-profile than the KSC75 and more isolating - both inward and outward - hence the interest in IEMs, but I am concerned they just aren't for me at all from the experience described above.

Any thoughts?

I know there are a variety of tips available in all sorts of shapes, sizes and materials, but is there generally some sort of 'breaking in' process for those untrained to using IEMs? Any brands of IEMs known for being more comfortable than others (Westone)? Any types of tips that are more comfortable?

I have a few IEMs on my shortlist, but I will save that for later, or another thread, as I am really just curious about whether pursuing IEMs will be a waste of time.

EDIT: It appears the IEMs I have are Creative EP-630 - http://www.mwave.com.au/productdetail.asp?SKU=23020158 - AUD$30 junk

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi luke! The thing with the cheap tips they usually include with cheap IEMs is that they are made of bad materials, generally feel papery and itchy, and are not a good indication of what nicer tips would be like. I've always found that Sony hybrid tips are comfortable, and come in a very small size. Generally I find the most comfortable IEM designs are ones that don't look particularly out of the ordinary - ie You can tell from pictures exactly how'd they'd fit - and also ones that are lightweight. I find IEM's like the RE0 comfortable for instance. You might end up having to go through a few different options before you find something right for you.

If your ear canals are really that small though, you may be better off going for an IEM that doesn't necessarily try to fit solely by lodging into your ear canals. For instance, IEMs like the old Sony EX-85 actually try to fit more like earbuds in the outer ear while providing a semi-seal.

Welcome to Head Fi btw my fellow Australian :D I started off from Koss earphones as well. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 7
Cheers, thanks for the info (and welcome!)

I've actually had the IEMs in for about 45 mins now with and they're behaving a little better than I thought. Still some discomfort, but this was reduced by following the insertion process as per #8 here - http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/basic-guide-to-in-ear-canalphones

Still not sure I could live with them, but as you say cheap ones are what they are, inc. tip design.

Would appreciate any other users comments also.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 7
I have found the tips on my metrofi 170(which many people complain of being uncomfortable, to be a LOT better than stock IEM's. So the better tips should be much much better :D

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Tips are more important than they seem. They can be the difference between "oh, this sounds like crap" or "these are my favourite phones". I can't stand silicone tips, for example, because they slide out of my ear canals, losing the seal, so any phone that doesn't come with foams won't be very comfy for me.

I make homemade foams from earplugs, so my main source of concern is phone shape. Chubby IEMs arent very comfortable to me, so casing designs is very important for me: I usually check nozzle angle, length and thickness, length from the tip of the nozzle to the casing, etc. I don't measure, but usually I'm very aware of the general shape.

In the end, unfortunately, it's a matter of trial and error. If some phone sounds good to me, I made what I can in order to be able to wear them. For example, with the M9 I have to test a wide range of foamies to find the ones that fit me better. With the PL50, it was easier. With my M6, it was a matter of use a crudely made pair of homemade foamies, very easy and straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back