New: Sunrise Sw-Xcape Ver 2
Apr 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #166 of 179

Quote:
Hi, great site first off! 

So I have been reading the comments about these headphones and it looks good. I wanted to buy them from the ebayseller "ukheadphones" and now they have updated the store with a new version. The 'Sunrise SW-Xcape Impressive Edition' (link in the bottom). 

Anybody know if these is a new model or just the V2 with another name?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sunrise-SW-Xcape-Impressive-Edition-shipped-UK-/320681881800?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item4aaa2130c8#ht_5413wt_1141

Okay, that's a bit confusing for sure, but there are more than 2 version of Xcape - the original Xcape (known as SRX in China), the Xcape v2 (known simply as Xcape in China), then there is also a beta unit which I simply refer as 'B' - I don't want to spell everything out but 'B' is supposed to develop into a new flagship and possibly replace the current Xcape line. I only heard the beta version and I know Sunrise has taken some of my advise (and possibly others) to retune the new IEM. I can't be 100% but I do know B is about ready to hit the market, and it could be this 'Impressive Edition'. I already make suggestion to Sunrise to adopt a new name to avoid all the confusion regarding different version of Xcape though there is the possibility that they are releasing a batch just to test the market. Anyway, I might receive the new IEM (the retuned B) soon and hopefully I will get an answer from Sunrise regarding this 'Impressive Edition' by then.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #167 of 179
I don't like how the seller is quoting reviews by joker and yourself ClieOS.  Mainly because your reviews relate to what we know as 'sunrise v1'.

This is very misleading. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #168 of 179

Quote:
This is very misleading. 

Unfortunately I have no control over how people want to quote me, but let's put that behind as I just got informed about the "impressive Edition' -

It is not Xcape v1, v2 or B, but it is said to be the best yet and will be the only Xcape in very near future. B will have a different name and v2 will be fully replaced by the Impressive Edition soon. I'll write about the story and reason behind the v2 and a bit on B in my upcoming Xcape v2 review. The Impressive Edition is supposed to have a new packaging but the UK dealer can't wait, so Sunrise just use the old packaging for now. I'll probably receive the Impressive Edition by early next week, and will post back once I get it.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #169 of 179

Quote:
Okay, that's a bit confusing for sure, but there are more than 2 version of Xcape - the original Xcape (known as SRX in China), the Xcape v2 (known simply as Xcape in China), then there is also a beta unit which I simply refer as 'B' - I don't want to spell everything out but 'B' is supposed to develop into a new flagship and possibly replace the current Xcape line. I only heard the beta version and I know Sunrise has taken some of my advise (and possibly others) to retune the new IEM. I can't be 100% but I do know B is about ready to hit the market, and it could be this 'Impressive Edition'. I already make suggestion to Sunrise to adopt a new name to avoid all the confusion regarding different version of Xcape though there is the possibility that they are releasing a batch just to test the market. Anyway, I might receive the new IEM (the retuned B) soon and hopefully I will get an answer from Sunrise regarding this 'Impressive Edition' by then.

Arh okay, sounds interesting. I might go and order 'Impressive Edition' now, cause my regular headphones broke and need some new ones. The V2 doesn't seem to get quite the same great response as the V1, though still good, and don't think the 'Impressive Edition' is gonna be worse than V2. 

Update: Just saw the last post. Thanks for clearing it up. Will definitely order the 'Impressive Edition' then. Interesting to see what happens to the models in the future.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #170 of 179
That is good to hear. The version2 was actually my first IEM I bought and I was actually dissapointed. Now I'm sending these back to ethan -- maybe wait for the 'impresive version'.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #171 of 179
They say they've changed the "box and housing"... not exactly clear what that means, but looking at the photos, I think they mean they've stuck a new logo on the carry pouch. If they've also adjusted the drivers housing that can only be a good thing, because I had a problem with mine coming apart (thankfully it went back together again) and I know a few other people had the same problem.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #172 of 179
Been meaning to pick up a new pair of cheapish IEMs myself since broke or gave away various others and resorted to using my denon ah p372's which are hardly discrete when out and about (along with Bo Selecta comments I probably deserve from strangers :p ) .

Had my eye on xcape v1's and was torn between those and RE0's and came across the impressive ed's last minute before ordering v1's (literally) so ordered them. Same price (at £60) as RE0's or the old sunrises, at least in the UK from the places I've seen carrying stock, hopefully they will sound decent enough. I'll mainly be using them through sansa clip+ and I like neutral to slightly warm sound most of the time and not into high quantities of bass for the most part.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #173 of 179
Arrived today and sound reasonable enough out the box but no burn in yet so guess they'll get better after a while. I tend to use music to burn in but have used sine wave sweeps and likes in past and I don't tend to rush burn in and usually set them to play in few hour loops through my comp with breaks (I prefer letting stuff rest between few hour periods of music) when not using them and will rate them properly after the recommended 150 hours.

The comment above about box might be because the UK distributors and perhaps others didn't wait for the new packaging to be done so they ship in the old packaging but the IEMs themselves do look different with the glossy finish and so on as already mentioned. Initial impressions are good still and the inclusion of 3 sizes of the single flange style buds and 1 set of double flanged ones along with carry case and cable clip is nice.

Cable feels softer than most, kind of neoprene like feel. I'd worry as it feels like it might break due to being so flexible but for the fact from experience I've noticed the softer cable breaks less due to not being so stiff it bends in all the same places due to less resistance. As many here probably found the more flexi soft shielding tends to resist breaking longer as long as you don't chew them or abuse it that is.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #174 of 179
Hi all! 
My first post actually, i've been lurking for a while on this great site and I would like to contribute my review of the Sunrise SW-Xcape v2. 
For starters.. I'm not an extreme audiophile, but do know the difference between good and bad sounding headphones/IEM's and my ears are pretty decent at listening. My favourite headphone is the Sennheiser HD25 by the way, which I think has the perfect sound for me (tight, accurate, full sounding and clear/detailed), totally love those.
I decided to buy these IEM's because I needed a replacement for my broken Logitech Ultimate Ears 700 and I didnt want to pay as much as I did last time I bought an IEM. 
I've read quite some reviews here and got curious about the Sunrise SW-Xcape v2 because of the nice reviews the first Sunrise SW-Xcape got. So.. I decided to jump the boat and got them from Ebay (UkHeadphones) for a decent price.
I received the Sunrise SW-Xcape well packaged and it came in a nice box. Since then i've opened them and used them for 4 weeks. I did a burn-in for about 40 hours with winamp playing totally random stuff from jazz to deathmetal and after that I then went listening to them daily on up to now. So the actual hours of burn-in / use is about 200+.

Packaging, Build Quality and Accessories

The actual earplugs are packed within a round shaped hard plastic little box which can be opened by the zipper, it feels sturdy and works well for me. Its rugged with some other plastic lining and on top of that a silver Sunrise emblem. The inside of the box is soft and contain the IEM's and some extra tips and a clip to pin the cord. 
The Sunrise SW-Xcape has a soft and sturdy feeling cable. Its almost a bit rubbery, and really flexible, even more compared to the plastic like cable on the UE700's. The Y-split has been reinforced with a plastic and a metal label with x-cape on it. It looks sturdy, but I'm missing a small plastic piece that holds/adjusts the both cords to the earplugs. The jackplug is also covered with plastic and metal stating 'sunrise' and the company logo. The plastic at the jackplug should provide some stress relieve to the cable, but still I have the feeling is a bit fragile and not adequate for real stress relieve. I would prefer some extra rubber around the jack and not only the plastic. All in all the cable feels quite light and if the earplugs are worn over ears, you won't notice much microphoning (tested in the gym while exercising :wink:). 
The outer casing of the earplugs are made of metal and feel strong. The eartips that are provided are feeling smooth and soft, and they fit my ears pretty well so I won't be using the extra ones provided. Overall I think the build quality is good enough and about what I would expect for this price, but i'm going to be extra careful with the jackplug, just to be sure.

Sound Quality

Out of the box they sounded quite nice and warm but it sounded a bit closed/muffled/bit muddy..lots of bass and the high's werent exactly crispy clear. After 200 hours of use, they've opened up a bit, lost the muddiness, taking back a little of the bass and the high's are a bit more present, which is good in my opinion.
The Lows are deep and rich and also fairly present but not too much. It has the right balance right now and the only thing lacking is some punch in the bass. I would've liked the bass to be a bit more tight and punchy but i'm satisfied. 
The Mids are full and especially vocals come out really clean in the mix, no complaint to be found. 
The Highs are good but the treble is still lacking a bit of crisp and some sparkle, I would've liked a bit more 'open' sounding highs just like the UE700's. In my opinion, good clear high's give the overall sound of an IEM some extra clarity and express the details better, on the other hand, some people have their ears easily strained by a bit more treble.
The soundstage is pretty direct and not extremely spacey, though you can define well where a sound is coming from and there is some depth in the sound. 
The overall sound is warm, deep/low bass, (but surely not enough for hardcore bass-heads), good mids, soft highs and pretty well detailed. 

Conclusion

I've read that others on this forum have been dissapointed by the Sunrise SW-Xcape or havent had their expectations of this IEM met.. I don't agree totally. For it's money you get great value and a very decent IEM! There are improvements possible in the clarity of the highs, just to give it a little bit of brilliance/sparkle and the bass should be adjusted to be a bit more tight/punchy in my opinion, still.. they do sound great and pretty detailed with most of the music i've listened to(Metal/Chill-Out/Techno/Psytrance/Jazz). I've tried some of my favourite albums including Underworld - A Hundred Days Off which fits these Xcapes just perfect! If you want you can EQ the sound a bit and give it some more high in the 12-16 khz zone to balance out the warm sound/bass a bit and get some added clarity/treble. I would recommend them if a friend asks me to name a good IEM under 70 euro's. They are sturdy enough, fit my ears well and are not really big (which is a plus to me!) I just hope the cable won't break on me anytime soon... 

(Photo's will be but in later on for more detail).

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #175 of 179
Great review! Appreciate your time to write it. I do also feel its a darn good IEM. I like the fullness of the sound compared to the RE0 which is rather thin. I am glad to hear the sound has improved since burn in.

Quote:
Hi all! 
My first post actually, i've been lurking for a while on this great site and I would like to contribute my review of the Sunrise SW-Xcape v2. 

May 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #177 of 179
popcorn.gif
 any new info on the "impressive edition" ? I'm really hoping these give the re0's a run for their money with a better build quality.. I just can't justify buying a pair of headphones that are going to fall apart.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #179 of 179
Yep it's official. Mine is broken.
After having used it for less than a year and only around 200 hours, the left ear has refused to work.

I've never actually had any earphones/headphones break on me before and I would think a $90 pair certainly wouldn't but I guess I was wrong.
The utmost care was always taken, even in that annoyingly small 'clamshell' case they provide(it looks like a small makeup mirror!).
I've sent an email regarding the warranty.
From my experience, I would probably be avoiding lesser known sources of earphone makers in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back