New SR325is's are on the way!
Jun 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SunnyDaze

New Head-Fier
Someone a whole heck of a lot brighter than myself once said "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human." At some point or another, we've all succumbed to our impulses and spent what seems like a significant sum (income pending, I'm a lifetime student!) on our first pair of "cans". For me, it was in 2005, when I bought myself a set of SR225's to run while my roommates were sleeping. We spend weeks reading, listening, and interacting. We spend hours positing which make and model is "right" for us, within out budget. And then, we pull the trigger. Next, we attempt to justify said purchase. We go foreward with our wallets lighter, our ears happier, our significant others left completely confused, and often times upset. 

How is any of that remotely impulsive? The very notion to obtain cans strikes you like a bolt of lightning. 1.21 gigawatts, as the man said. Once the bug to get new cans bites you, forget about it. You're getting new cans. 

Sometimes we get lucky. I found a minty set of SR60's on a local forum for $35, with two extra sets of flats. I won a $30 Best Buy gift card from school. That funded my PortaPro's. Luckily, they're the "Black" editions. They have the same upgrades as the 25th anniversary PortaPro. Sometimes these little interludes can sufficiently play second wind to your "good" cans. In my case, the 225's. Other times, it just doesn't work that way. The upgrade bug bit me a few weeks ago.

Here's how that worked out for me. 

Initially, I stepped forth with an open mind, and a budget of $300, give or take. I wanted, or so I thought I wanted, cans that would be as neutral as possible. Folks suggested K701/K702's. Luckily, a friend nearby had a set for me to indulge upon. Instantly I thought, "Aww, how nice. Where'd the edge go? No fun!" 

Another friend's father owns a set of 600's. I didn't hear that "veil" that folks spoke of, but I did hear less detail than my 225's. Most of you would call this "less bright". 

I read up on Beyer 880's and 990's. I'm not a bass heavy guy. Eh... Not for me. 

I like loud, gritty, raw, ugly, dirty, hot, and nasty rock and roll. Grand Funk Railroad, Supertramp, T. Rex, Mott The Hoople, ZZ Top, you get the gist of it... Don't get me wrong, I do dig the occasional bout with Tchiakovsky, Run DMC, Ella, Dizzy, and Sam & Dave. It's just, primarily, I've got a rock & roll heart.

I narrowed it down to the HF-2 and the all new and shiny SR325is. From the hours upon hours that I've spent reading about both, albeit information on the new 325 is limited, I think i've made the right choice. The HF-2 seems to be more of an "all around" machine. People who tout them do so regarding properties and characteristics that are detractors in my opinion.

On the other hand, the new SR325is is getting solid reviews. Folks who do gripe about them do so because of their bright sound. Sold.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday! I'll keep yinz posted.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm listening to Roy Buchanan on my SR325is right now.  :)

When you get them give them a listen during and throughout the burn-in process.  It'll be curious what you notice changes during the burn-in.  Mine went though a shouty honky stage. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I was just going to throw Slayer's Reign in Blood on and walk away for 48 hours. :) 

Have some fun.  Explore the burn-in effects.  See if there is any change or not.  That's one of the perks of buying new rather than used.  :)

48 hours though should cover the burn-in period for the most part.  I didn't keep track of time closely.  I just played and listened and explored what the new phones do.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 17
They are probably going to be very picky.

I have the original sr325s, somewhat an impulse buy when someone on creagslist seemed to just want to get rid of them, and didn't research them too much, so I was able to get them for a good price.

Being older phones, I had to do some work on them, re-solder wires to the drivers, mass dampen the magnet cap, and use a bit of rubber cement to keep the drivers from slightly rattling in the plastic shells. II was convinced I had a rip in the diaphram until I held an open earcup to my ear, which i had the driver held secure with a finger, and no bass crackle. I immediately fixed that on both sides.

THEN, to address the issue of them being really really bright, I used some radio shack replacement foams, the little cheapie ones for those headphones that would come with your walkman before earbuds became the standard.

I turn the grado bowls backwards as they will still slip on the flanged area, but with a carefully cut circle of that foam held in place by the grado bowls.

I cannot use them in very much of my equipment. If, say,  plug them into my NAD preamp, they sound so awful you want to chuck them. If I use my Mackie 402, EQ them just a tad, and send them to a Presonus headphone amp, they sound like liquid gold.

The DT880s that I have sound incredible on the NAD preamp headphone out, and also good on the Mackie's headphone out, or the Presonus. I do not hear any bass beyond what should be there, as I am pretty sure the DT770s are the bass monsters. I have a set of both, and the 880s sound just better in many ways. The 770s are really good closed cans though, and with leather pads, much of the sound becomes balanced and nice to listen to. I would not discount any brand unless you have a listen for yourself somehow.

I wasted good money on Shure 440s because of positive posts about their lineup, but it takes too much EQ not make my ears bleed, the pads are very stiff... they are obviously built with JUST a studio in mind. I have bought more used and new, but I have made sure to have a listen first. I may think I am going to like them, and it turns out they only sound good from one source, or the correction to keep your ears from catching fire takes away alot of the spectrum they can reproduce well.

325is are great headphones, just be prepared for them to be a bit bright, and probably just as picky as my 325s when it comes to what you plus them into.

The issue is that grado, as far as I know, has few, if any, retail space where you can go listen. I live in Houston, and the one place that sold Grados shut down a long time ago. Houston is HUGE, yet imagine not being able to just go drive and give them a listen... it is silly, but I would have a hard time moving to another grado phone... I may like it, or it could sound like crap on what I have, and they do reveal quite a bit... it is not often that you can reliably tell the difference between a FLAC and a 320k CBR LAME mp3, or for that matter, the distributing/sharing standard fr mp3s: V0. After all these fixes, a V0 mp3 still can bring me joy, and on the DT880s, they can create a holographic headstage using very high bitrate LAME mp3. It is pretty cool, actually. They are also extremely comfy. Grados tend to hurt your hears a bit after long wearing. Nothing bad, but it just limits the amount of time I can wear them.

Don't get me wrong. Even my non "i" 325s are really good headphones, and the "i" versions improve them in a number of ways, but yeah, you are getting a true critical listening headphone. They sound great with a tube amp instead of SS. I have a tubed buffer after my DAC, it helps out because my DAC outputs a very low voltage, so it is better to have the "source" outputs off the tube buffer. I have a Monarchy DIP, because, even jitter reduction, if you want to use s/pdif, you can feel things behave a bit more balanced and true. You really do hear a lot with them , so a good recording will have you smiling ear to ear. Enjoy them... true "audiophile" set of cans. I think the 325s are where Grado begins their higher end lineup IMO. They can be worked with to sound to your liking, say if they are too bright. there are things that can be done to help that, of their fit, I attribute the change in sound from the materials used in the upper end Grados. 225s: plastic housing, more inert, Metal=ringing/some tones to be a bit harsh. I think, the new ones use an alloy, the onld ones were just aluminum. .

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
They are probably going to be very picky.

I have the original sr325s, somewhat an impulse buy when someone on creagslist seemed to just want to get rid of them, and didn't research them too much, so I was able to get them for a good price.

Is the model number of your Grado "SR325" or "SR325S".  I'm not sure if you added the "s" to be plural or if it is part of the actual model number (maybe "s" for silver?).  I've lost track of the SR325 history of various models and can't remember if there was a "325S".

I listened to a SR325 over a decade ago at a local shop.  They aluminum body was black.  I listened to the Grado SR line from the SR60 to the SR325.  Ended up buying the SR225.  The SR325 was too harsh and sibilant and fussy for me back then.  The SR325is we have now is a different and refined beast compared to the old original SR325.  That old SR325 would be a challenge to tame.  A different 325 style of sound.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

Is the model number of your Grado "SR325" or "SR325S".  I'm not sure if you added the "s" to be plural or if it is part of the actual model number (maybe "s" for silver?).  I've lost track of the SR325 history of various models and can't remember if there was a "325S".

I listened to a SR325 over a decade ago at a local shop.  They aluminum body was black.  I listened to the Grado SR line from the SR60 to the SR325.  Ended up buying the SR225.  The SR325 was too harsh and sibilant and fussy for me back then.  The SR325is we have now is a different and refined beast compared to the old original SR325.  That old SR325 would be a challenge to tame.  A different 325 style of sound.

And that's what I'm seeking... that style! :) 

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 17
If you're a Grado man you'll love the 325is imo. They're my favorite over even the rs1 and rs2 (not listened to their uber-cans).

Great bass extension and perceived detail and, most importently, make just about everything sound fun. Maybe because my cd player and amp are a bit "warm" I didn't find the harshness people talk of. Yes they can produce earwax-loosening highs, but in a good way :)

They certainly put their stamp on the tonality of instruments, but if you like the Grado sound that's ok. If one can was made for guitar solos - the 325is is it!

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 17
Oh I'm a Grado guy, through and through. I'm rocking out on my 225's as we speak! 

My CD player has warm qualities to it. I modified it with Wolfson 192 VLC DAC's onboard. They're smooth. Real smooth. 

Honestly, most of my listening is done on my turntable. It's a highly modified Yamaha YP-450 with a Grado Gold cartridge. I'm not worried about brightness here. 

The rest of my listening is done via .mp4 and .wmv on iTunes using Apple Lossless. I don't mess with .mp3's unless they're 320's. The rest of the files are ripped from CD's via Lossless as .mp4's or .wmv's. I'm probably being pickier than I should here, but, oh well. 

I appreciate you guys all taking the time to throw in your two cents. From what I gather, the 325is is indeed a different animal than the 325/325i. I have read people comparing them to the RS-1i / RS-2i. I've also heard of people plugging them in and being completely turned off by the overall brightness. I guess we'll find out Tuesday. 

There is one place here to sample Grados, however, they charge tax and shipping. They only keep demos in stock. If I can get a set from Sound Earphones for 285 after the ten dollar cupon, plus no tax or shipping, then I'd be foolish not to. Also, I feel bad listening in a store and not buying anything at all from them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back