New speakers here!!!!!
Jul 23, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Congratulations, Tom. Thiel sound has always been up there for me, too, but difficult to find a good price. My joy on having the B&W 800s Nautiluses show up was tempered when SWMBO came around the corner and dropped her jaw. Just as hard to hide as those CS7.2s! But rediscovering my whole music library was worth it. It's kinda like everything is new.
biggrin.gif

I see they are well out from the wall and the corner and that looks like some acoustic treatment behind them. Is that some orange I spot in that double duplex box behind you?
eek.gif

The room has three dedicated lines 2X20amp for the amps and 1X30amp for the front end. I had them each done with hospital grade grounded 4 way outlets. Room treatments throughout the room. No other outlets into the room. Everything is dead quiet.
I am going to have to move one of my vinyl shelf areas on the back wall so I can back my listening seat up a little. No problem though.
They are 37 inches off the back wall and around 30 inches in from the sides. I'm about fifteen feet from them now and they sound excellent. I haven' spiked them yet though. I have a friend coming over next weekend and we are going to measure freq. around the room and lock them in and treat the room with whatever is needed. It can only get better.

Jul 23, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
They look so fine and you look so happy...well done, great setup you have there Tom.

BTW...how much do ZAMBONI drivers make anyway?
tongue.gif

Not enough to get both the Thiels and the Audio Aero prestige in one trip.
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Well I crashed about 3:00....up at 4:30....Can't stop smiling. Been listening to some Kraftwork, Chicane, Sade, Tracy Chapman, Diana Krall, and Johnny Cash stuff already this A.M. and it all sounds great. Its going to be hard to not find reasons to come home from work early this week.
wink.gif

Speaking of Johnny Cash, have you been listening to "American V: A Hundred Highways" yet?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&s=music

It's Johnny Cash's last album before death, and the album leaves me speechless, both musically and sonically. Should sound unbelievably fantastic through them Thiels
smily_headphones1.gif
Highly recommended to everybody, even if you're not a Johnny Cash fan!

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 61
Haven't heard that one. I'll pick it up. I was listening to the American IV "The man comes around" CD. Thanks for the tip.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #21 of 61
Congratulations Tom! Those are beautiful speakers. I can't even imagine how good they sound! Also, I agree with other posters who said that the best and most important thing is the huge smile on your face.

Good work! Keepin it real up in the feel.

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #22 of 61
cool...congrats!

if you get a chance to take a photo of the full setup, i'd love to see it

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #23 of 61
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing those fabulous looking speakers. I love big speakers!

Tom, was there something particularly exceptional that those Thiels did better than the others you auditioned or was it a just a general all round better performance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Speaking of Johnny Cash, have you been listening to "American V: A Hundred Highways" yet?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&s=music

The 180 gram LP is $12.

$12!!!
cool.gif

I have it and the not bargain priced three pack of American I II II enroute now.
Will any sound as great as the light weight American IV? I'll find out.

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I've had a taste of these magnificent speakers - and once again I'm totally jealous of Tom's rig
3000smile.gif

I just called Purk. You guys need to come by and listen to the Droplet and the speakers. Absolutely fantastic!

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing those fabulous looking speakers. I love big speakers!

Tom, was there something particularly exceptional that those Thiels did better than the others you auditioned or was it a just a general all round better performance?

The 180 gram LP is $12.

$12!!!
cool.gif

I have it and the not bargain priced three pack of American I II II enroute now.
Will any sound as great as the light weight American IV? I'll find out.

I had heard these some time ago and thought they were as good as I had heard. Then my local dealer started selling Thiel and I was listening to the 2.4's with a Thiel subwoofer and thought that they were alot better than I had remembered. The CS7.2's came up at an unbelievable price......They are living here for quite awhile.
I did really want the Whispers and some day may still own them. But the fact is my girlfriend is a basshead and the Whispers can get costly if you need a quality sub and the extra cables. These Thiels are soooooo transparent. They just completely disappear.
Thanks for ther vinyl tip. I am all over it!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #27 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I had heard these some time ago and thought they were as good as I had heard. Then my local dealer started selling Thiel and I was listening to the 2.4's with a Thiel subwoofer and thought that they were alot better than I had remembered. The CS7.2's came up at an unbelievable price......They are living here for quite awhile.

Thanks for ther vinyl tip. I am all over it!!!
biggrin.gif

Have you conisdered getting something other than the JC-1s to drive thos power hungry Thiels? I had the chance to go to the Parasound warehouse in SF and see stacks of JC-1s. I was never quite happy with my Parasound gear, although I was using the A51 in a HT setup rather than JC-1s. The C1 was more flash than substance and the A51s were a bit dry sounding compared to my current rig. I just ordered 4 of the BelCanto Ref1000 monoblocks which seem to have received some rave reviews lately.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 61
Congrats, Tom. Reminds me that I need to take a pic of my new speakers. I've been in heaven for the past several months with my MBL gear. Never thought I'd say this, but my headphones are starting to get ignored!

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Have you conisdered getting something other than the JC-1s to drive thos power hungry Thiels? I had the chance to go to the Parasound warehouse in SF and see stacks of JC-1s. I was never quite happy with my Parasound gear, although I was using the A51 in a HT setup rather than JC-1s. The C1 was more flash than substance and the A51s were a bit dry sounding compared to my current rig. I just ordered 4 of the BelCanto Ref1000 monoblocks which seem to have received some rave reviews lately.

I really like two different amps and would go with one or the other. The big BAT 600SEM monoblocks would be nice but I would have to hope they would show up used. The big Pass labs 600 monblocks would probably be what I would end up with. The JC-1's have never shown any sign of being dry with an assortment of gear. Maybe its the tubes everywhere else.
Power wise I was worried even with the JC-1s. It was wasted worry....They control the Thiels without any problems.
I have even thought about picking up a pr. of used BAT VK-500 w/batpack amps and having them converted by BAT into a pr. of VK-1000 monoblocks.
But I doubt I will do anything for awhile, the JC-1's sound very good with the Thiels and I need to figure out what I going to do with my digital front end first, and upgrade my preamp from the VK31SE to the 51SE.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Congrats, Tom. Reminds me that I need to take a pic of my new speakers. I've been in heaven for the past several months with my MBL gear. Never thought I'd say this, but my headphones are starting to get ignored!

UH-OH!
I only own a pr. Of the stock HD650's and have nothing left to plug them into. They sit hanging from my bedpost with serious dust collecting on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back