NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Nov 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2,671 of 4,019

Yes sure, Sony is a ghost of it's former self in TV's (and they've made tactical errors like focusing on China, and letting Samsung make their parts etc.) but they are fine in other sectors, like the Xperia and PS3 etc.

I remember when there was news the PS3 had 'failed' and Sony was losing X zillion, cutting staff, etc... lol.

Seems like Kotaku copy-pasted the entire article from here - http://www.japansubculture.com/the-ghosts-of-sony/

They mentioned the Minidisc briefly, but not the CD, SACD, Discman, Walkman, voice recorders, earphones, headphones, speakers... actually they hardly mentioned anything in audio at all lol, and how about the robots?  AIBO.

I'd like to see some statistics on their findings, for example on how many Sony players sell in Japan.  Not just a couple interviews with shopkeepers haha.

It's a real shame the Discman and CD (physical media) era ended.  I'd really love to compare my Z1070 (not arrived yet) to the very best models of the Walkman, Discman and MD players from that era.

"Some experts say that unlike Korean electronic companies, Japanese companies excel in developing original new products. Innovation takes time and is very costly, but in the golden-age Sony engineers were free to do what they wanted, they concentrated on technology that was unrealistic or hard-to-commercialize. Sony was fit to develop new technologies."

Haha... "some experts", I wonder how much technology we use today China and Korea have invented.

I was excited when Sony released the EX310, EX510, EX600, EX800ST, EX1000.  It looked - and sounded - like they were coming back into portable audio. 

I never quite adjusted to the EX600 and eventually returned to the EX700 as my preferred Sony IEM.  Then, once the XBA-3 and XBA-4 arrived, I sold mine pretty quickly.  Those two IEM's put a huge dent in my Sony love.

The Sony MDR-SA3000 and Sony CD900ST are most likely still the best Sony headphones currently made.

So yeah, even though Sony invented the earphone and IEM and a lot of excellent high-tech products, they've handed over the title to Audio Technica and JVC, just like they handed over their TV title to Sharp and Pioneer.

Then again there are still a couple of very interesting semi-Sony IEM's now, the Sony / Ericsson MH1C / MH1, and the Ocharaku Flat 4.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #2,672 of 4,019
Quote:

It's a real shame the Discman and CD (physical media) era ended.  I'd really love to compare my Z1070 (not arrived yet) to the very best models of the Walkman, Discman and MD players from that era.

I probably can chime in on such comparison.  I still have most of my legendary Discman & MD units.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,674 of 4,019

I probably can chime in on such comparison.  I still have most of my legendary Discman & MD units.

That would be a very succulent read!!  I've never heard nor owned the famous units, just several normal ones, so I can't help.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2,675 of 4,019
Yes sure, Sony is a ghost of it's former self in TV's (and they've made tactical errors like focusing on China, and letting Samsung make their parts etc.) but they are fine in other sectors, like the Xperia and PS3 etc.

I remember when there was news the PS3 had 'failed' and Sony was losing X zillion, cutting staff, etc... lol.

Seems like Kotaku copy-pasted the entire article from here - http://www.japansubculture.com/the-ghosts-of-sony/

They mentioned the Minidisc briefly, but not the CD, SACD, Discman, Walkman, voice recorders, earphones, headphones, speakers... actually they hardly mentioned anything in audio at all lol, and how about the robots?  AIBO.

I'd like to see some statistics on their findings, for example on how many Sony players sell in Japan.  Not just a couple interviews with shopkeepers haha.

"Some experts say that unlike Korean electronic companies, Japanese companies excel in developing original new products. Innovation takes time and is very costly, but in the golden-age Sony engineers were free to do what they wanted, they concentrated on technology that was unrealistic or hard-to-commercialize. Sony was fit to develop new technologies."

Haha... "some experts", I wonder how much technology we use today China and Korea have invented.

I was excited when Sony released the EX310, EX510, EX600, EX800ST, EX1000.  It looked - and sounded - like they were coming back into portable audio. 

I never quite adjusted to the EX600 and eventually returned to the EX700 as my preferred Sony IEM.  Then, once the XBA-3 and XBA-4 arrived, I sold mine pretty quickly.  Those two IEM's put a huge dent in my Sony love.

The Sony MDR-SA3000 and Sony CD900ST are most likely still the best Sony headphones currently made.

So yeah, even though Sony invented the earphone and IEM and a lot of excellent high-tech products, they've handed over the title to Audio Technica and JVC, just like they handed over their TV title to Sharp and Pioneer.

Then again there are still a couple of very interesting semi-Sony IEM's now, the Sony / Ericsson MH1C / MH1, and the Ocharaku Flat 4.

The Sony XBA series might have been a big disappointment, although the new XBA-10, 20, 30 and 40 seems to fix that, I would definitely recommend to give that a try, although I only had a short time to listen to them.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2,676 of 4,019
My z1060 with the XBA-4 sounds amazing... Anyway if you're in the US it's going for $164.98 at Sony... http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666413433

I've just been trying audiogalaxy... The lack of memory expansion might be becoming a non issue...

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,678 of 4,019
Quote:
Oh Well!

Wow...50% off and the z1060 was selling for $164+tax.  Wow, that was the awesome deal of thanksgiving right there.  That's $200 off from what I paid for my Z1060 six months ago.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #2,679 of 4,019
DAMMIT! Temptation IMMENSE! I L O V E my Z, but I want a 64GB one to replace my 32gb one ARRRGH Sorry I have to pass, I have a 32 already, it is an INCREDIBLE music player, It powers my Westone UM3X RC's INCREDIBLY well with no amp, but I filled it up just with my offline spotify playlists, Slacker playlists and recently encoded CD's I need a 64 or No DICE! I'll pick up the Samsung Galaxy player 5.6 when they get around to releasing it. 
It says IN STOCK as I wrote this so GO BABY GO, you won't be disappointed! It is also an AWESOME Netflix player, and it supports Tegra Zone Games

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #2,680 of 4,019
apart from the Leeward Islands the USA bought from the Danes in the early 20th century... the answer is no

Note that someone from England had to answer , how many Americans could correctly answer this ?

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #2,683 of 4,019
Quote:
got recommended to this thread by someone on the Heir discussion, can someone tell me the quality of this player compared to my Galaxy S11?, I also notice there is a new player from Sony, which is best?

Sony is AWESOME! ...but people are just starting to recognize the power of the iPod!

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,685 of 4,019
A small notion.....Please show me any picture of Steve Jobs listing to the ipod in his daily life!!!!!

Steve liked everything about the Ipod except its sound

Prove me wrong.

He only listened to LP, and was developing a HD music store and a player with Neil Young.....PONO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back