NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Nov 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,626 of 4,019
here in our country, people walk with two smarphones or 3g/4g tablets for different networks, not to mention they carry either a laptop/notebook or an ipad with them. i dont think that is "portable" enough

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #2,627 of 4,019
I've got one of these too. I concur with your opinion about the SQ. Way better than my iPod Classic. Just recently voodoo'd my Galaxy S1, and I think this actually edges the Sony for SQ.

A couple of questions- does the HDMI output audio as well as picture/audio? Also is there a cable available for it to enable audio streaming via USB? I would like to use this with my Fiio.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2,628 of 4,019
Quote:
But that kills the portability :D, especially when the Z itself is already hardly suited for portable use. The iPod would be better on-the-go for the W4, I guess. 

my WM-Z slips into any of my jean/trouser pockets without any problem or discomfort (with the Sony case on)... if you're a big guy like me it's the perfect size.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #2,629 of 4,019
Quote:

my WM-Z slips into any of my jean/trouser pockets without any problem or discomfort (with the Sony case on)... if you're a big guy like me it's the perfect size.

Well, it just feels awkward using my Z to listen to music because of it's size, so I use it mostly at home and the A feels much better outside. 

Quote:
here in our country, people walk with two smarphones or 3g/4g tablets for different networks, not to mention they carry either a laptop/notebook or an ipad with them. i dont think that is "portable" enough

My concept of portability highly differs from the norm. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #2,630 of 4,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, it just feels awkward using my Z to listen to music because of it's size, so I use it mostly at home and the A feels much better outside.

Jeremy... as long as we're enjoying the music via whatever Walkman we own is all that matters...
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,631 of 4,019
Quote:
Xperia-S v WM-Z

the Xperia-S sounds like a poor-man's X-Series (reminded me of the Amperior's with the WM-Z, soundwise)... it has a nice rich sound to it but lacks any real punch, the Hugh's are lacking, the mids are nice and the bass lacks any real oomph... in truth there is a wide gulf between the two... as a back-up player or someone who wants some music-to-go the player is more than adequate but if you love music, splash out and get both... you're reward will be the smile on your face listening to your WM-Z.

loved this phone, the design is simple but gorgeous very similar to the WM-F but classier (if that's possible), think it's the strip light at the bottom when in 'use' that does it... expect to see a Windows-8 version.

Albums used

Slightly Stoopid - Top of the World
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
The Lumineers - self-titled. 

WM-Z stock-buds were used... I can do a comparison with the Heir's when I get them back on Friday if you want.

is Xperia-S already on ICS update..... ?? with new walkman app that support FLAC?

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2,632 of 4,019
Quote:

Jeremy... as long as we're enjoying the music via whatever Walkman we own is all that matters...
beerchug.gif

Yes, I know, I was just mentioning that the W4 pairs better with iDevices, probably due to the warm nature of the W4 and cold nature of the cirrus logic. But I'm sure to use my DBA-02MKII with my Walkmans more often. But the iTouch 5 certainly feels sleeker than the Z! But I guess that's not the point when compared to the sound. Too much apple hate here, haha.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #2,633 of 4,019
Quote:
But the iTouch 5 certainly feels sleeker than the Z!

It's definitely a faster interface.... but to be honest, if you are only looking at the App tray on the Z (which is basically the ENTIRE iOS interface)... it's quite quick too. 
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,635 of 4,019
Nov 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,636 of 4,019
Quote:
It's definitely a faster interface.... but to be honest, if you are only looking at the App tray on the Z (which is basically the ENTIRE iOS interface)... it's quite quick too. 
wink.gif

In general I just don't really like android, which wasn't one of the reason I bought the Z. Well, certainly iOS will be faster since it's simpler and Android is a processor hog. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2,637 of 4,019
Quote:
In general I just don't really like android, which wasn't one of the reason I bought the Z. Well, certainly iOS will be faster since it's simpler and Android is a processor hog. 

Understandable.  I'm not a fan of iOS devices, though I've had about every version of their devices, but I think I'm done now (waiting till my time is up to get rid of the iPhone 4s).  Though, I will agree with you.  There is something to be said for the UI's speed and integration it has with their entire ecosystem (second to none).  I would love to try something like the integrated OS that Sony's (or anyone's) devices that has physical buttons... as I like to just toss my DAP into my pocket and 'blindly' switch tracks.  So, I'm semi- platform agnostic. I probably would not have an issue with ANY device, if I found an amp that was nice and thin and had the sound characteristics that I like... and my player could connect digitally... then any DAP for me would do.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2,638 of 4,019
this is my last post on Head-Fi... to all that have helped me:- Way, Purk, CN11, Fortis, Now Turok Anak, Duncan, Soresiim, Swimmy and all I've not mentioned... a very sincere thank-you and all the best for the future... Take care... Paul (OK-Guy)

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2,639 of 4,019
Quote:
this is my last post on Head-Fi... to all that have helped me:- Way, Purk, CN11, Fortis, Now Turok Anak, Duncan, Soresiim, Swimmy and all I've not mentioned... a very sincere thank-you and all the best for the future... Take care... Paul (OK-Guy)

I wonder what happened.... too bad, nice guy!

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2,640 of 4,019
Quote:

Whoa man.  We will miss you.  Please please come back.  Hoping for the best for you Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back