NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Oct 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2,508 of 4,019
after a longggg telephone conversation last night with Fortiis, I had to confess to putting some tunes on my Z1070 in mp3 format (was down to me last 8gb, so needs must & all that)... abridging our conversation to a type-bite, he asked if I had A-B'd an album, now obviously I'm not 'that' stupid to upload the same album twice, until today that is... I picked on one of my go-to albums Moonfood - Moodswings, it's one of those albums I'm extremely familiar with having owned it since it was released early in the '90's it has some great musicians/singers guesting on the album noticeably Jeff Beck & Chrissie Hynde... the album is I suppose in the chill-out genre, it constantly changes music direction not only by track but within track, a underrated masterpiece that should be on everyones list for a listen.

well going from mp3-320k to Atrac-lossless 356k there is a definite upgrade in sound, not only that but it appears that using Atrac I get 'gap-less' playback which is a boon on this album as it seamlessly flows from one track to another (never realised the WM-Z did gap-less).... the special bit for me was the music delivery I was hearing from the 4.Ai's, this album thrives on 'bass', delivery through my home-system the album sounds pretty awesome at high levels (even my neighbours get enthused happily banging on the walls in almost perfect timing), I can happily say that with the WM-Z the 4.Ai's bass is deep, no make that perfectly deep (unequalized), the detail of these things surprises almost with every album I put on, I've almost given up listening out for little nuances within tracks preferring to blissfully enjoy the music instead.

funny thing I asked my fellow Head-Fi'er where do I go from here... his reply was immediate 'customs' now he loves his JH-16 Pro's but I've head a rumour that Heir do a pretty good range too, there's a thought huh.

anyone else find their Z1070 plays 'gap-less' using Atrac?

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,509 of 4,019
I say... get an amp first, before going for another set of headphones.  Out of the "Z", it sounds great! with an amp to give the headphones the extra headroom... you'll be surprised how deep the 4.Ai can go (not Thumpy deep... but speed, texture and quality deep).  The highs shimmer a bit more and the mids flesh out a bit.  If you listen, you can enjoy them a bit more before moving up the chain.  If you are just tapping your toes and enjoying... you may not notice a big enough jump in quality to warrant an amp.  I'd seek out a fellow head-fier with a portable setup and try out an amp or two.  I think you'll like it!  I know I want another amp, but the iBasso D-Zero wasn't going to give me what I wanted... so I sold that off.  I first thought I wanted more portability... but the "Z" isn't exactly the most portable DAP out there... so, ultimate portability has taken a back seat for now.  If I want to go back to portable... I still have a Clip Zip.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #2,510 of 4,019
I just posted over in the F806 thread about a player called Cubed. Can some of the Z owners perhaps download it and try it (free)? I think it sounds pretty magnificent, albeit a bit buggy. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,511 of 4,019
I say... get an amp first, before going for another set of headphones.  Out of the "Z", it sounds great! with an amp to give the headphones the extra headroom... you'll be surprised how deep the 4.Ai can go (not Thumpy deep... but speed, texture and quality deep).  The highs shimmer a bit more and the mids flesh out a bit.  If you listen, you can enjoy them a bit more before moving up the chain.  If you are just tapping your toes and enjoying... you may not notice a big enough jump in quality to warrant an amp.  I'd seek out a fellow head-fier with a portable setup and try out an amp or two.  I think you'll like it!  I know I want another amp, but the iBasso D-Zero wasn't going to give me what I wanted... so I sold that off.  I first thought I wanted more portability... but the "Z" isn't exactly the most portable DAP out there... so, ultimate portability has taken a back seat for now.  If I want to go back to portable... I still have a Clip Zip.

All amps will color the Z with WM-lod, and its a matter of choice, and I agree that the Z is not that transportable (as was my Dx100), so i got the gun metal gray f807.
Hence, Customs will improve sound, amp will make it "more fun/ enjoyable".
I appreciate any comments on my 2 cents...:cool:

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2,512 of 4,019
Quote:
All amps will color the Z with WM-lod, and its a matter of choice, and I agree that the Z is not that transportable (as was my Dx100), so i got the gun metal gray f807.
Hence, Customs will improve sound, amp will make it "more fun/ enjoyable".
I appreciate antibodies comments on my cents...
cool.gif

Do you like the NW-F807?  While I agree that different headphones will make a bigger difference, it can't be denied that you will hear a bit more out of the LOD to an amp than from the headphone, as the headphone out is colored and the LOD out is smoother flatter presentation.  What I didn't like, was through the D-Zero (which is an ok amp, nothing to write home about... but for $100... can't expect much), my Z turned into basically another iPod... even though it still retained some Z sound.  So yes, I agree.  Any amp will color the sound through the LOD.  I built a nice UP-OCC LOD previously that I used... and I did like that slightly better than the Fiio one, but the Fiio one had a hair more detail (clarity, but was ultimately flatter and less musical).  My LOD gave the D-Zero back some of the "Magic" that I had from the headphone out.  ...and I'm rambling.... ok, off to race in Forza4 for a bit...   I'm going to paint me up an Heir Audio car... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #2,514 of 4,019
Do you like the NW-F807?  While I agree that different headphones will make a bigger difference, it can't be denied that you will hear a bit more out of the LOD to an amp than from the headphone, as the headphone out is colored and the LOD out is smoother flatter presentation.  What I didn't like, was through the D-Zero (which is an ok amp, nothing to write home about... but for $100... can't expect much), my Z turned into basically another iPod... even though it still retained some Z sound.  So yes, I agree.  Any amp will color the sound through the LOD.  I built a nice UP-OCC LOD previously that I used... and I did like that slightly better than the Fiio one, but the Fiio one had a hair more detail (clarity, but was ultimately flatter and less musical).  My LOD gave the D-Zero back some of the "Magic" that I had from the headphone out.  ...and I'm rambling.... ok, off to race in Forza4 for a bit...   I'm going to paint me up an Heir Audio car... :D

Still on its way......

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #2,519 of 4,019
Quote:
I'd give it a listen, but I heard someone tell me that the iPhone 5 went down in SQ over the 4.  Dunno, as I didn't listen myself.

That's what I've read too. And I can say that there's a significant difference between my F806 and iPhone 4, especially now with the Cube player app (to the better, favoring the Sony). No interest here in current iPods/iPhones for my music player based on what I'm hearing.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2,520 of 4,019

Users who are viewing this thread

Back